ModNuB

I hate ebay!

:-mad:-mad:-hateit:-hateit:-mad:-mad:evil::evil::-hateit

I just wanted to get that off my chest...thanks!

Ok so I don't hate it but it's really hard to look there and see gear that you want and is WAY over priced. Then you log on and see something that is awesome and CHEAP (shocking) but don't have any money... :-mad:-mad:-mad

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest...

I guess if you want to share your feelings about evilbay that would be ok :)

I AGREE EVERYTHING IS OVERPRICED, TRY TO BUY A DAMN VINTAGE MUSTANG, AND ITS GONNA SET YOU BACK ATLEAST 1500. PEOPLE HAVE TO BE REASONABLE MUSTANG ARE GREAT GUITARS BUT THEY WERE MADE AS A ENTRY LEVEL OR STUDENT MODEL, THEY SHOULD BE 1000 BUCKS MOST FOR A VINTAGE ESPECIALLY IN THIS ECONOMEY

I AGREE EVERYTHING IS OVERPRICED, TRY TO BUY A DAMN VINTAGE MUSTANG, AND ITS GONNA SET YOU BACK AT LEAST 1500. PEOPLE HAVE TO BE REASONABLE MUSTANG ARE GREAT GUITARS BUT THEY WERE MADE AS A ENTRY LEVEL OR STUDENT MODEL, THEY SHOULD BE 1000 BUCKS MOST FOR A VINTAGE ESPECIALLY IN THIS ECONOMY

Yes, they WERE made as entry/student level guitars, but that is not what they are now. Now they are vintage musical instruments. That is what you are paying for. If vintage doesn't matter, then buy a reissue, imported copy, or build your own. But $1800 and up is the going price for a vintage Mustang Comp. in decent condition. I know mine will not go cheap.

-------------------------------------------------

eBay is just fine... as long as the buyer knows what he is buying. If the seller is overpriced, no one buys. If the seller is under priced, everyone bids and its a free-for all. If the seller mis-represents or poorly describes what they are selling... Buyer Beware. But there are diamonds among the rubble.

Example:

Last year, I bought a 1995 Ovation 1751 Balladeer 12-string off of eBay. The pics showed a broken string and a chip in the top, with a gig bag. It was stated the electronics did not work. I won the bidding, got it for $163, shipped.

What I found when I looked it over after receiving it:

- neck was straight (good)

- frets had very little wear (good)

- the picture made the chip look much bigger than it was. (great)

- headstock, fretboard, saddle and neck that were extremely dried out. (very bad)

- battery compartment had a leaking battery still in it. (very bad)

- battery contacts were only slightly corroded (not as bad as it could have been)

- trim ring around the sound hole was detached (bad)

- electronics were covered in dust and did not work (bad)

I thought I had been hosed. My wife said "You spent your money on THAT?" Not good if you are married and your wife hates eBay.

But, I gave it some 5 hours worth of TLC:

~ buffed the frets

~ oiled all the unfinished woods (headstock, neck, fretboard, and saddle... multiple times)

~ repaired the chip (filled it in with cyano acrylate (superglue), sand and polish)

~ reattached the trim ring

~ tightened all the tuners

~ cleaned the battery contacts

~ blew the dust out of the preamp controls

~ complete buff and polish

~ new battery (the preamp works)

~ new strings

Now she is almost perfect and worth far more than I paid.

1751balladeer2xu4.jpg

Afterward, the seller contacted me and asked if i was satisfied with my purchase. I told him all of the issues above. He wanted to refund some of my money. I declined because I knew I made out.

You can get a deal on eBay. But YOU have to know what you are looking for and what it is worth.

I AGREE EVERYTHING IS OVERPRICED, TRY TO BUY A DAMN VINTAGE MUSTANG, AND ITS GONNA SET YOU BACK AT LEAST 1500. PEOPLE HAVE TO BE REASONABLE MUSTANG ARE GREAT GUITARS BUT THEY WERE MADE AS A ENTRY LEVEL OR STUDENT MODEL, THEY SHOULD BE 1000 BUCKS MOST FOR A VINTAGE ESPECIALLY IN THIS ECONOMY

Yes, they WERE made as entry/student level guitars, but that is not what they are now. Now they are vintage musical instruments. That is what you are paying for. If vintage doesn't matter, then buy a reissue, imported copy, or build your own. But $1800 and up is the going price for a vintage Mustang Comp. in decent condition. I know mine will not go cheap.

-------------------------------------------------

eBay is just fine... as long as the buyer knows what he is buying. If the seller is overpriced, no one buys. If the seller is under priced, everyone bids and its a free-for all. If the seller mis-represents or poorly describes what they are selling... Buyer Beware. But there are diamonds among the rubble.

Example:

Last year, I bought a 1995 Ovation 1751 Balladeer 12-string off of eBay. The pics showed a broken string and a chip in the top, with a gig bag. It was stated the electronics did not work. I won the bidding, got it for $163, shipped.

What I found when I looked it over after receiving it:

- neck was straight (good)

- frets had very little wear (good)

- the picture made the chip look much bigger than it was. (great)

- headstock, fretboard, saddle and neck that were extremely dried out. (very bad)

- battery compartment had a leaking battery still in it. (very bad)

- battery contacts were only slightly corroded (not as bad as it could have been)

- trim ring around the sound hole was detached (bad)

- electronics were covered in dust and did not work (bad)

I thought I had been hosed. My wife said "You spent your money on THAT?" Not good if you are married and your wife hates eBay.

But, I gave it some 5 hours worth of TLC:

~ buffed the frets

~ oiled all the unfinished woods (headstock, neck, fretboard, and saddle... multiple times)

~ repaired the chip (filled it in with cyano acrylate (superglue), sand and polish)

~ reattached the trim ring

~ tightened all the tuners

~ cleaned the battery contacts

~ blew the dust out of the preamp controls

~ complete buff and polish

~ new battery (the preamp works)

~ new strings

Now she is almost perfect and worth far more than I paid.

Afterward, the seller contacted me and asked if i was satisfied with my purchase. I told him all of the issues above. He wanted to refund some of my money. I declined because I knew I made out.

You can get a deal on eBay. But YOU have to know what you are looking for and what it is worth.

#### owned!

i would sell my jag in an instant for that bronco... as long as i could keep the pickup

that thing looks almost mint. its ridiculous that it is going so low

I know that tech ebay is morally nutral but it does somehow seem to have an ability to save the deals I've been looking for until I am out of moeny, usually cause I spent it on crap I don't really need :(

BTW that black bronco is AWSOME!!! I want one bad! If I could find a fender 24 neck I'd do that to my MIM Duo body but w/ a hot rail.

I know that tech ebay is morally nutral but it does somehow seem to have an ability to save the deals I've been looking for until I am out of moeny, usually cause I spent it on crap I don't really need :(

BTW that black bronco is AWSOME!!! I want one bad! If I could find a fender 24 neck I'd do that to my MIM Duo body but w/ a hot rail.

you could try and score a jagmaster neck on the bay, and do it up with that. a custom gaurd would be cool too

Good idea! I always forget they make those w/ 24 scales now. My buddy had one when they were 25.5 & that's the only one I ever played so I forget!

Thanks!

Good idea! I always forget they make those w/ 24 scales now. My buddy had one when they were 25.5 & that's the only one I ever played so I forget!

Thanks!

no problem, good luck on the search though. i havent been able to find any recently

I have no money but ebay has just sent me a 10% off voucher. If any UKer's wants to buy a guitar anytime before the 12th of Feb off ebay hit me up. I'd like someone to get proper use out of it. It's good up to a

I REALLY like the look of that Jagmaster. It just works. But yes, red tort would look even better :)

As for the stang, that pic where the pickguard is off was heartbreaking. At least the seller sounds a bit sympathetic, wanting it to go to a loving home, and all...

FWIW: I was at Barnes & Noble this weekend looking for a good Guitar maintenance book (no luck, back to the guitar shop). But I did find a 2009 Guitar Appraisal book.

1969 Fender Mustang Competion

poor condition: $1900

excellent condition: $2100

Thats why Mustangs are going for $1500 on eBay.