Duo Sonic / Bronco / Musicmaster / Cyclone Pictures

truck018-1.jpg

Fender MIM 2001 Cyclone body (front)

img1805qd3.th.jpg

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Duo Sonic body (front)

img1806be7.th.jpg

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Duo Sonic front (closeup)

img1807tc9.th.jpg

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Duo Sonic headstock / neck

I need to get a Micro SD converter to post some pics I actually took, but the seller pics will do for now. Anyway, since the Mustang Discussion Area description lists Duo Sonics, Broncos, and Musicmasters too, I'd make a thread :-D . Post 'em :-smokin .

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bridge position is really rich and chiming. Great for a jangle-pop sound if wanted. Rings like a bell, but the basswood body gives it a little warmth. Together, it gives the nice mid-rangey tone of a middle position humbucker, neck it gives a great mellow rhythm tone. Read the review thread for more. :)

here's a pic of my MIM Duo Re-issue from about a month ago...

geeter.jpg

Been modded a bit more since then. Now it's got a toronado string through bridge, a bridge SD hotrails and a neck SD 1/4 jag. I'm installing two on-on switches soon to split the coil on the HR and to knock the pups out of phase. Beyond that I'm thinking about getting a 24" neck (maybe with a black headstock)... but I'm not committed to the idea. The 22.5" is pretty fun.

here's a pic of my MIM Duo Re-issue from about a month ago...

geeter.jpg

Been modded a bit more since then. Now it's got a toronado string through bridge, a bridge SD hotrails and a neck SD 1/4 jag. I'm installing two on-on switches soon to split the coil on the HR and to knock the pups out of phase. Beyond that I'm thinking about getting a 24" neck (maybe with a black headstock)... but I'm not committed to the idea. The 22.5" is pretty fun.

Nice, im in favour of all those mods aswell

That is a nice Duo!

Well thats the pretty side of it :wink:. I totally wrecked a few inches of the finish in the back when I drilled out for the string through toronado bridge. A luthier I am not, but the ferules are in and it's functional and the god damn thing finally intonates respectably. Who really looks at the back of a guitar anyway.

Thanks though, I like her alot.

Nice I'm in the middle of nodding one of these myself. The string thru is probably a bit more then I want to try but I did just get a 24" neck for it and am really happy. I got a jagmaster and while I do have to redrill it before I can install it I am supr happy with the feel of the thing. It was way cheaper to get it then any other 24" neck I could find anywhere.

How do you like the pups? That's the next step for me. Where did you get the guard? I want/need to replace mine cause it's broken.

Pickguards:

http://www.wdmusic.com/pickguard_dsr_900.html

I am super happy with the pickups. The Hotrails has such a nice thick crunchy sound and the 1/4 pound jag has a low twang I don't think I've ever heard before. The sound is very versatile now, and will be even more when I am done with the switch mods.

I cannot begin to stress how much nicer the toronado bridge is than the duo bridge, even with compensated saddles. If I had it to do over again I would have used a thinner bit than I did (probably the same size I used for the top holes since they did not effect the finish) and just sanded it out to the correct radius. Like I said, I'm no luthier. Just a dude with a drill press and a mission.

The main thing I wanted a 24" neck for was to add string tension but between the string through bridge and using .12's... it feels pretty tight now (great tone and sustain as well). I do kind of wish I had a little more room to work with though, 22.5 feels a little... toyish I guess. We'll see if a good deal on a 24" neck falls in my lap too.

Such is the eternal struggle of the Franken-Sonic.

nope. According the SD website it doesn't need one. Frankly I think it's to thick to take one. lol.

Here's what the front looks like right now:

full_01d09c0ae477fd25889ed3f1edb2b5e2.png

And here's my awful looking job on the back. Poor thing.

full_de38d9e336f178a51db62bad8c875b7d.png

I'm never going to sell it... and I never really see the back except when I'm stringing it so ... eh. Still wish I was a bit more careful, but this is how we learn. lol

Wow that looks great! You're making me want to drill the body...how has it help the sustain/tone?

I just found a site that has a 1/4 lb for $40. If its still there after I get my tax return I'm going to have to grab it. What's it sound like for playing full chord?

When I first started this project I thought I'd just make a bronco w/ a hot rail but after getting this neck I like it so much I started thinking of doing 2 pups. Then I saw this & knew I'd do both...thank :( now I'm going to be broke longer :)

As far as the drilling goes, it's an easy job if you have access to a press. I put the bridge on marked the holes, matched the bit up to the string holes in the bridge. Then removed the bridge and drilled through. Took 5 minutes and came out perfect. Where I screwed up was enlarging the holes on the reverse side for the ferrules, I should have sized up just enough to fit a round file in there and then filed it out full size but instead I used a large bit, just smaller than the ferrules and drilled about 1/4 into the body. As soon as the bit made contact the finish shattered... :(

Sustain is FAR improved. As far as tone, it's hard to say. I switched the pickups and bridge at the same time so I don't know what they would have sounded like on the old bridge. I can tell you that the overall tone is great. Chunky and thick.

The hotrails sounds like a hot humbucker sounds... nothing out of the ordinary in that arena but what it does, it does well.

The 1/4 pound jag sounds like no other pickup I've ever heard... it's hot but mellow if that makes sense. It maintains clarity very well and is very warm almost jazzy. It actually sort of reminds me of what the middle setting sounded like with the old tex-mex pickups on the duo. Sort of P90ish.

When they are both turned on the hot rails ravages the highs and lows while the jag fills out the midrange. It's a neat sound, I definitely suggest the combination. There's nothing stratty about it, it's got it's own sound now. It's not a chimey fender sound at all, it's very heavy and a bit dark.

Which for me... is perfect.