Wilkinson pups

I only like playing handwound pickups.

But maybe I'm a tool.

which ones? can you tell the difference between machine wound 'paf's and handwound 'paf's?

I'm not sure about Stevie's experiences, but I have heard subtle differences between Machine and Handwound pickups, the handwound tend to work more with the subtitles of your playing and be more responsive to dynamics etc, also there all unique to a degree different amounts of windings, and overall better quality they use higher grade components etc. Machine wound are also really nice and when the right brand can be very dynamic/responsive but have a more generic sound meaning all of that pickup will sound the same, whereas certain handwound PAF's have different qualities etc. However I like handwound but I can't really justify the price difference as the differences are only when you are really paying alot of attention to tone, and with a decent guitar through a decent amp the tone is usually good. Just my opinion though some people hear no differences lol.

I only like playing handwound pickups.

But maybe I'm a tool.

which ones? can you tell the difference between machine wound 'paf's and handwound 'paf's?

I've honestly never played any handwound humbuckers. I'm really into motown music and stevie wonder right now so I need that extra slap and pop you can only get from single coils.

As far as my handwound experience I've used Duncan Antiquities I and IIs, Lollar, Fralin, and Van Zandts. Machine wound I've used the JB jr, Hotrails, Fender texas specials and tex-mex, and then the stock duncans that came on my japanese strat.

I personally like the Antiquity IIs and Van Zandt Blues best for my strats.

As far as tone goes I'd have to agree with Bandit. If I played a strat long enough I feel like I could tell whether or not it was handwound if I got to play up and down the neck for a minute; it's got something to do with how they respond to the dynamics in your hands. They seem to let more of the tone of the wood through. Sort of a "woodier" more acoustic like tone. I also notice that most handwounds I play are lower in output and have a mellowed high-end and a slight dip in the mid-range.

It's not that they sound better per se, but for what I'm doing right now they seem to work best for the expression and clarity I need. I've also noticed that all the handwound singles I've played sound great with drive, even though they're lower output, but I use pretty transparent sounding drives and clean boosts, not any high-gain stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm probably gonna go for some GFS from Guitarfetish

how cheap?, linkz plz!

You got it, Fox

http://store.guitarfetish.com/stvialstpise.html

or If I really decide to go cheap...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/vistsewhwobl.html

I wouldn't go for the super high-end ones, it's not worth it to me.

looks good, but thats US price?