Sign in to follow this  
BanditGuitarist1

Cobain Les Paul? WTF

I am not one for Cobain Threads but tonight a friend of mine sent me a picture and said "everyone's played a les paul even Cobain"

untitled.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this is really Kurt and if so when and where the hell did he ever play a Les Paul? I thought he hated Les Pauls because of the whole GnR association. Thanks!

motor5.jpg

had a bolt-on neck. Also smashed at the Motor Sports show (41). Another picture.

12). Ibanez Les Paul Custom copy, left-handed, set neck, cherry sunburst, Dimarzio X2N pickups, 2 coil tap mini switches (installed when purchased), flame top but not super flamey, black pickguard (may have been removed) and pickup rings. Black or gold speed knobs. This was a great lefty guitar but Kurt wouldn't play it live because he said it looked too much like Jimmy Page. Earnie may have sent this for the "In Utero" recording (41)(59).

I heard somewhere on these forums i think a while ago that he played them in the studio quite alot but not live because they were so heavy

I'm not one for kurt threads either (nothing against the guy tho) but I did work w/ earnest bailey (his tech) for almost 2 years & he told me that he loved the sound of a lp but that because of there weight he didn't like to play them live. Also he liked to smash guitars & so gibsons necks were too hard to replace. This lead him to fender guitars & eventually to mustangs for their weight/neck & with a bucker in the back gave a good "heavy" tone.

As for him using lps in the studio I think its probably more then possible. When in a studio you're going to tone not look & lps have GREAT tone. I've known studio guys who play "crap" guitars that they would NEVER be seen playing on stage because they give the sound they need for the track they are working on.

I dont think the first picture is actually him...

I alos heard he didnt use Les Pauls because of the weight, and alos because everyone was playing them at the time, or somthing of the sort.

i know he played a SG but i didnt know about the LP

i believe at one time be for fender would endorse him he was offered one by gibson but he didnt like any of their guitars, so he stuck with fender