would you have gotten a J-S if not for Kurt  

23 members have voted

1. 1. would you have gotten a J-S if not for Kurt

• yes
    • no
    • i love kurt (don't have a J-S)
    • i HATE kurt (don't have a J-S)
    • meh.....(don't have a J-S)

I bought one purely cos i saw one for sale in a locel ad paper. wanted a mustang and/or a jaguar really but due to the ridiculous prices they fetch just could not afford one. I'm a fan of nirvana but not fanatical. really wanted a mustang and jag cos i love sonic youth but also wanted a jazzmaster cos i also like dinosaur jr, television and feeder. why is it that these guitars that we love so much are so damn expensive any way????

I love my jag-stang. i paid

I had never heard of the Jag-Stang. I wanted a humbucking guitar, and while I like the Gibson sound, I just don't like the guitars, the necks feel weird to me. Friend of mine told me about "some weird short scale Fenders made in Japan" that had humbuckers.

No kidding, one night later a friend-of-a-friend walks up to me with a red Fender Humbucking guitar made in Japan. I bought it the next day for $200.

While I did know Nirvana/Kurt, and I liked them OK, it had no bearing at all on buying the guitar.

I grew up listening to Nirvana but I had no clue the JS existed until I was shopping around for a guitar in a huge listing book. Oh cool, Kurt designed it. Not my reason for buying it though.

I actually bought My JS because everyone you talk to calls it a #### guitar with #### everything. Very few people play mustangs or Jags in my area and the minute you mention the JS they laugh at your ass - Until they play one that has been modded extensively. So I guess I got it because It's irregular and uncommon compared to all the Teles and Strats. My first guitar was a Tele by the way.

JS, as we all know, is an ugly duckling and the result of a low quality rush to market to capitalize on Kurds death. I love the JS for that reason - despite and for its flaws and the fact that many of them can be modded away. It'll never be perfect and that's just part of the charm. The neck is amazing. The thick body tele thing always appealed to me.

The fact that Kurt designed it made no difference to me.

I like the look of the JS as well. I was attracted to it from the moment I saw it in Nick Freese's the Guitar Encyclopedia (which is horribly edited, I'm sorry)... My only problem with it is the Humbucker... I just like Single Coils 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 multiplied by 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999

better.

I got the Jag-Stang by sitting in the music store having guitars handed to me. The only thing I could play was By The Way and Smells Like Teen Spirit. I had tried some Strats, Teles and some 'metal' guitars - all of them felt like toys compared to the Jag-Stang. I knew it had to be the JS. I love it.

I probably would have. When I first started looking for guitars, the only reason I ever took Kurt's opinion in was because he brought up a few things that piq'ed my interest to a great degree - In particular, the skinny neck, the vibrato unit, and the fact that the guitar came pre-built with a humbucker in the bridge. I always saw it more as a new model than as a Kurt Cobain model anyway, sort of like a Fender Mustang GT.

My guitar tastes looks-wise are kind of in-line with my own personal tastes which I have a hard time putting a label on, it's sort of this 60's & 70's meets 80's with 90's alt-rock aesthetics. It's wacky and angular like a lot of 60's and 70's designs, has the bright colors and glam of the 80's, but not so much it looks over-the-top, and there's even a hair or two of aggressiveness due to the angular design and the somewhat pointy top horn.

Then there's the feel and sound of the thing. I always kind of liked the "plonk" type pick attack I would get out of Les Pauls in the music store due to their shorter 24.75" scale, but did not like the body style (too traditional, and too uncomfortable), and I preferred the 60's shaped A and B width Fender necks, as just about every Strat I picked up that I liked was a 1962' Japanese Reissue, and the same with Jazzmasters as well. The sound has all my favorite sorts of sounds, ranging from downright Metallica thrash in the bridge position with full on gain, to darn near acoustic through a clean acoustic amp on the neck pickup, and I even found a way to get a halfway-home between the Jaguar with both pickups on and a Strat on the Middle+Bridge with both pickups on. That's why this and the Jaguar are my main two favorite models, I could just own those two and do pretty much anything I wanted. Everything else is luxury.

Then sell me your Mustang...

Why do I have to justify the Mustang, I did not say I did not want it or did not like it, It's just I could cover the Stang's base "just enough" by cutting my Jaguar's rhythm circuit plate up and adding a phase reversal if it was REALLY REALLY necessary. Till the day comes that I have to sell off a ton of stuff I own to survive, that Mustang will be by my side as well, and also a Jazzmaster, if I can find one that does not have a "rape me" price tag on it.....preferrably a resto-job.