DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER

There is word on many guitar forums about his shady practices and service. Besides, look at all the other stuff he is selling.....total crap for HUGE prices.

As for the particular guitar.....it's obviously not worth what the asking price is....after all, it's still available, right?

Think thats a rip off??

I saw a tort pickguard off a 60s strat and they were asking for $5000

FIVE THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS :shock::shock::shock:

Makes sense though, even if it's sickening.

60's tort strat pickguards are rarer than hens teeth.

An original pre-CBS Oly. white strat with tort pickguard is a $40,000 guitar. Suddenly the pickguard, a KEY component of this guitar's value, makes sense at a high price.

Plus you think that's crazy? 59-60 Les Paul "Burst" pickup surround rings have been sold before for $25,000 USD. .....but once again....you're talking a guitar that is worth $200,000+ so the details are worth spending the money on.

That said, I wouldn't pay that much for either guitar---even if I had the money.

An original pre-CBS Oly. white strat with tort pickguard is a $40,000 guitar. Suddenly the pickguard, a KEY component of this guitar's value, makes sense at a high price.

Plus you think that's crazy? 59-60 Les Paul "Burst" pickup surround rings have been sold before for $25,000 USD. .....but once again....you're talking a guitar that is worth $200,000+ so the details are worth spending the money on.

That said, I wouldn't pay that much for either guitar---even if I had the money.

Would a guitar assembled from gathered parts really be worth the same as a totally stock guitar? If I scrounged together the collective parts for a 62 strat, surely it wouldn't be worth $40,000. And this, in my opinion, would not justify spending $5,000 on a pickguard. Especially without a certificate of authenticity.

But then again, NOTHING would justify to me spending $5,000 on a pickguard.

Would a guitar assembled from gathered parts really be worth the same as a totally stock guitar? If I scrounged together the collective parts for a 62 strat, surely it wouldn't be worth $40,000. And this, in my opinion, would not justify spending $5,000 on a pickguard. Especially without a certificate of authenticity.

But then again, NOTHING would justify to me spending $5,000 on a pickguard.

Thing is......if a guitar was pieced together with 110% original parts, even down to the screws etc, would YOU be able to tell if it wasn't original?

I'm not saying that there isn't some downright fraud going around about the complete originality of a guitar----but I can't understand why original parts go for some much (insane!) money unless they were being used on guitars being passed off as all-original.

There's a handful of people in the world that can truly tell if a guitar has never been unscrewed/ untouched......certainly far less than there are buyers of $40,000 strats.

Thing is......if a guitar was pieced together with 110% original parts, even down to the screws etc, would YOU be able to tell if it wasn't original?

I'm not saying that there isn't some downright fraud going around about the complete originality of a guitar----but I can't understand why original parts go for some much (insane!) money unless they were being used on guitars being passed off as all-original.

There's a handful of people in the world that can truly tell if a guitar has never been unscrewed/ untouched......certainly far less than there are buyers of $40,000 strats.

I agree totally. It would be a shame is people were passing these kind of assembled guitars off as original - although I am positive it happens - but I guess the collectors market might be willing to cough up. And to refer to the legendary $5,000 pickguard... unless it was going to go onto a guitar passed off as an original '62 and sold for $50,000, surely no one would buy it.

There's a saying that some people have more dollars than sense. I'm one to agree with that :)

And yeah, if it was all assembled from compatible parts et al, NO WAY would I be able to tell. Good thing I'm not in the market ;)

Yep, I'm not thinking there is too many collectors out there that want to "customize" their pre-CBS strat with a $5000 pickguard.....or happen to own a $35000 Strat that is randomly "missing" it's pickguard.

Either way....once an original component is off the guitar and missing, it's no longer "original" in my eyes. Even if you replace it with period-perfect parts, there is more to a $35000 guitar than the sum of it's expensive parts......you're ideally buying a piece of the instrument's "history."

Hard to trust dealers, honestly.....a true "closet classic" is obvious when they show up....some old lady pulls an untouched tele out from under her son's old bedroom etc....THAT's when you know it's never been messed with.

Dealers are saavy to the fraud out there too. The more expensive the guitar the more insane they get about the details. Seriously.....Les Paul geeks are the ultimate example. Some of the world's top experts can tell you the difference on a wood screw's lip bevel, on a '59 Les Paul compared to a modern replacement etc.....I'm not even kidding.

I guess if I was protecting a quarter million dollar investment, I'd want that kind of eye checking it out too-------but that's just insane, right? !!

Either way....once an original component is off the guitar and missing, it's no longer "original" in my eyes. Even if you replace it with period-perfect parts, there is more to a $35000 guitar than the sum of it's expensive parts......you're ideally buying a piece of the instrument's "history."?

That's EXACTLY how I see it. And I know others do too.

It was like Dweezil Zappa trying to sell a guitar that was burned onstage by Jimi Hendrix and given to Frank Zappa. Frank restored the guitar to working order (while leaving in the burned pickups), then later Dweezil gave it new pickups, pickguard, electronics, and neck. In the end, the only part of the guitar played by Hendrix and Frank was the body.

Needless to say, the guitar failed to fetch the $1.4million that Dweezil was asking for.

That's EXACTLY how I see it. And I know others do too.

It was like Dweezil Zappa trying to sell a guitar that was burned onstage by Jimi Hendrix and given to Frank Zappa. Frank restored the guitar to working order (while leaving in the burned pickups), then later Dweezil gave it new pickups, pickguard, electronics, and neck. In the end, the only part of the guitar played by Hendrix and Frank was the body.

Needless to say, the guitar failed to fetch the $1.4million that Dweezil was asking for.

haha, great story---I'd never heard that one!

Aside from the fact that Dweezil Zappa is a total cunt (I've met him....yes, he's a F$%# twit), it just proves the point even further that not even a guitar owned by Jimi Hendrix himself is worth a premium once it's parts have been swapped out! The only reason a person would pay big money for it is the history. The fact that Hendrix played that guitar with those pickups, and it's all still intact. Otherwise it's just......revisionism, eh?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
there are more "vintage" strats in existence today than origionally produced

show your sources, son.

That kind of claim could only be made if every single vintage strat was accounted for.....they they definitely aren't. Plenty were destroyed in the past, or still lurking out there...I guarantee it.