Jag with SJAG3's, how do i get a good sound?

Hi,

I picked up a Fender Jaguar about 12 months ago and it's only caused me headaches since. It was not even playable with the original jag bridge which i switched for a mustang and seems to work ok (except the saddles aren't height adjustable so the E's sit lower than the other strings). But the sound of the original pick-ups were pretty thin, so i thought i'd try the seymour duncan's.

I've finally installed my long awaited SJAG3 Quarter Pounders, thinking it would convert a thin crappy sounding guitar into a rock guitar but all it does is squel. I mean, when used with overdrive, it just squeals like the original jag pickups did and I just cannot get a good sound out of this guitar! It looks great and i want to use it as my main guitar but it sounds crap! I thought a pair of SJAG3's would beef it up, can anyone give me some advice? I'm a fingernail away from selling it and giving up on it altogether.

Well for one remove the claws,that very well could be the problem.

Also I have the SJAG3 bridge in my Jag,I didn't like it until I installed some 250k pots,it was way to thin sounding with the 1 meg pots when using distortion.

+1 if you want to turn Jag to "normal" guitar

+1 if you want to turn Jag to "normal" guitar

If you heard the distortion the way it sounds now it might change your mind,I don't like thin sounding guitars.

I understand, but I really like the sound of "vintage correct" Jaguar (clean & distorted), for fuller sound I tend to stick different kind of guitar - When I think of it, for the last 10 years or so, all my recorded guitars were quirky, so...

Ok, so i've had a bit more of a play around and it's sounding better. The clean sound is sweet. I get that it's not going to sound like a les paul and this is not the sound i'm after. I also have a PRS which fulfils this category nicely. I just want to get the most i can out of this guitar, highlighting its own unique characteristics and tone, however the squeal is a problem. I know that with a lot of distortion all guitars will squel to an extent but this is a really high pitched painful squeal that I'm not sure how to get rid of. There doesn't seem to be anything loose. The bridge just sits there, held down by the strings. The pickguard is tight. I wired the pickups exactly as shown, so does anyone have any ideas?

Also the 3 switches closes to the bridge volume knob- what exactly does the first one do? I think that one turns on and off the neck pickup and the other turns on and off the bridge pickup, but i'm not sure about the other one.

P.S I'm running it through a Hughes and Kettner Trilogy, which sounds incredible with all of my guitars.

The third switch is the "strangle" switch which essentially cuts your bass and makes your guitar more treble heavy so it can cut through a band sound. Also if you dont like the sound of it get something else jags arent meant for the kind of music it sounds like you want to play if your using such a ridiculously high gain amp try a fuzz pedal with it and you will change your mind of jag tone. Also which jag do you have AVRI, vintage, mexican, or japanese.

Jee you guys are all so prickly about the Jag. Let me get this straight.. I'm not unhappy with it, it's not unsuited to my style of music, I don't wish to sell it, and there's certainly nothing wrong with my amp, in fact it sounds awesome. So stop trying to talk me out of it! The reason i posted here was for some technical advice, not opinions on my style of music when you don't even know what i do! So now that i've got that out of system, the Jag sounds great now that i've had a bit more of a play around with it and i apologise to you all for my initial over-reaction to the pickups. The clean sound is incredible. I have worked out that the problem is something to do with the mustang bridge (which i installed at the same time as the pickups), causing some harmonic overtones, that when distorted turn into high pitched rings and squeals. I need to work out how to eliminate these harmonic overtones, and it will be a sweet sounding guitar. I'm not trying to play Van Halen on it, and i'm not knocking the instrument, it's just been a long wait for it and a bit of work getting it to sound great. But otherwise i'm a very happy Jag owner and am in fact beginning to fall in love with it! (We just got off to a rocky start thats all!)

-Check for loose parts (claws, pickguard, bridge, saddles, anything that has potential to be loose)

-Recheck your soldering (a bad solder joint can cause all kinds of headaches)

-Try removing the claws

How much gain are you trying to use?