Fender Mustang Story website wrong.

I noticed that the website said the competition mustangs were discontinued in 1972.

but I talked to a guy who runs a vintage guitar shop, and he said only the comp. orange mustang discontinued in 1972, and red/burgundy continued until 1974.

did anyone know about this? or am I the only one who doesn't know that

Im pretty sure they were all discontinued the same time in late '72? seems like i may have seen 1 or 2 that were dated '73, but just cant remember.

I highly doubt any Comp. Mustangs made it into '74, by this time the comp-stang had to be gone to make room for the other colors (sunburst,white,walnut etc.)

The competition mustangs were still available in 1974 along with sunburst and other colors.

I am not sure about the orange ones, but the red and blue ones for sure. I have pics of a blue and reds ones with serial numbers in the 500,000 range. They probably died out in late 74 or early 75.

Im not questioning your expertise, but i dont agree with that.

I wouldnt trust a Fender serial number if it came notorized.

Hell, i can take the neck plate with the serial number off of my '74 Mustang and put it on my '65, or vise versa

I wanna see neck stamp codes.

here's what Chestnut Hill Guitar owner said:

"competition red and competition burgundy (blue) were both discontinued in 1974. Comp orange was discontinued in 72. My guitar was a near mint 1974 100% original made in the USA (they did not start the Japan made ones until the 90s). Also, I want to point out that the author of that site does not even know what he is talking about in reference to the actual Comp colors, and if I took the time to read that whole site I would probably find a . Fender made 3 as I am sure you know, all introduced in 68 Competition Orange, Competition Red, and Competition Burgundy (what most people refer to as Competition Blue, but as listed in Fender

Im not questioning your expertise, but i dont agree with that.

I wouldnt trust a Fender serial number if it came notorized.

Hell, i can take the neck plate with the serial number off of my '74 Mustang and put it on my '65, or vise versa

I wanna see neck stamp codes.

And it's not just one with a 500,000 serial number, it's several.