Chop-Chop Mustang a.k.a Franken-Stang

Just to show my on-going guitar project. It started with a want for a humbucker-equiped mustang.

After months of waiting for a chance to snag a body from ebay, I got a Dakota red but it's too gorgeous to hack it. So I decided to hack my existing blue mustang for this project. Guitar parts are source in from everywhere: from ebay to guitarpartsresource to local guitar parts shops.

DSC05738.jpg

DSC05748.jpg

DSC05763.jpg

DSC05766.jpg

DSC05769.jpg

DSC05758.jpg

DSC05783.jpg

Now I need a neck. Should I go for Warmoth? ebay again? any other sites to recommend?

Also, you really should get a no holes, EMG style cover for that bucker. Just so it matches the other pickup

I'm thinking the other way around. A tex-mex neck pick-up to match the holes of this PAF bridge pickup.

i vote lace Dually bucker

unless youve just got that bucker

infact screw it just get what you think sounds good

Also, you really should get a no holes, EMG style cover for that bucker. Just so it matches the other pickup

I'm thinking the other way around. A tex-mex neck pick-up to match the holes of this PAF bridge pickup.

i vote lace Dually bucker

unless youve just got that bucker

infact screw it just get what you think sounds good

there are only 2 pickup brands i know, SD and dimarzio. haha! I opted for dimarzio.

As for a neck, I'd try get hold of a '69 RI neck. They are amazing necks. (I like the '69 RI neck better than the one on the '65 RI)

Yeah. I hope i can still get those 69 ri neck since I have a spare kluson type tuners lying around. I guess it'd be another weeks of waiting on ebay.

• 2 months later...

At last my project is finally completed. Managed to get an old mustang neck from ebay.

Here are the few things I found out:

1. The width of neck's heel is narrower than the reissues. I have to shim both sides so the neck won't shift.

DSC06454.jpg

DSC06453.jpg

2. The peghead holes won't accept the modern f-shape (schaller) machine heads. I have to send it to a tech to fit the tuners.

DSC06456.jpg

3. This neck's c shape profile is rounder than the reissues which is thin and flatter.

DSC06462.jpg

DSC06463.jpg

I have to swap out the stock mustang pickup with a tex-mex for a more balanced output and tone. The stock pickup is drowned out by the paf humbucker

DSC06460.jpg

Finally....

DSC06459.jpg

Now I need a Fender decal.

I'd go for warmoth.

:evil:

Leave it as is, those emg style covers looks bloody terrible on offsets.

Yeah, but mustangs come with them stock :wink:

single coil emgs come with mustang style covers, not the other way round :P

Looks great! What age is that neck? Did you say already? If so I must have missed it...

I've been thinking about getting a new single for my Mustang... You're right, the stock one is no match whatsoever for a humbucker (That's ANY humbucker...)

The neck stamp is 16Sep66 but I'm not 100% convinced. I find some things are unusual like the hole for the 2nd string tree and the hardly visible mustang word is too small.

oh yeah, the neck is some sort of satin finish. Now that I'm already used to with the glossiness of reissue neck, it feels different to play.

Kinda reminds me of a billiards cue that you wanna put some talcum powder to make it slippery. :lol:

DSC06456.jpg

DSC06455.jpg