Jeff Leites

New Mustang in the works

I think when I last left you, I had refinished my old Mustang in red (I've changed the color several times over the decades), and replaced the old neck with the worn frets and fingerboard with a new neck:

RefinishedMustang.jpg

Well, that lasted a few days, until my wife convinced me that I should put the old neck back on, and just keep it as a vintage guitar. I thought as long as I was doing that, I might as well try to get it back close to the original color. :-wow

So here it is. blue again with the old neck:

RefinishedMustang-2.jpg

Now, what to do with that new neck and bridge?

I had put extra money into it for an ebony fingerboard, graphite nut, stainless steel frets, and locking tuners, not to mention my home made decal:

MustangNeck.jpg

Easy answer to that question... build a new Mustang! :mrgreen:

It's in the works... A swamp ash body that I'm almost done clear lacquering. I'll let it harden a while, then put it all together.

I'm going to wire this one up differently than a standard Mustang.

I'm putting in two Carvin dual rail humbuckers.

Each slide switch will be --> |--- Humbucker -|- Off --| Single Coil

The tone control will be a push/pull pot that will be used for phase reversal.

I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Here's a sneak preview:

SneakPreview.jpg

Immense, man! That's gonna look frikkin awesome when its done....

Dye it red! Please!

NO! Red would spoil it totally.I think the only guitar I like trans cherry red on is 335 types. All others with it are kinda :-hateit

A home-made Mustang decal? How'd you do that? And why?

Doug

How?

I found a Fender logo on the web, like this one 2696286963_a22f638c36.jpg?v=0

at http://www.flickr.com/photos/metropolis ... 696286963/

I copied it into a graphics program. where I added the letters for MUSTANG in a font close to Fender's, and I added the little lines to the letters. I found a font similar to the one for Offset Contour Body, and added that, and I added the patent numbers. I copied the resulting image into Microsoft Word (inserted it as a picture into a text box), because it's easy for me to manipulate the size there. BTW, the Offset Contour Body part is a seperate decal.

When I got it looking just right, I printed it onto water slide decal "paper", from my local hobby shop (where I could buy one sheet). I comes in laser and ink jet varieties. If you're not familiar with decal paper, see this: http://www.decalpaper.com/category-s/3.htm

They sell some kind of waterproof coating for the decal, but I just use a couple coats of clear urethane or lacquer.

Cut out the decal, soak it in water, slide it off and into place on the head. I use a Q-tip, to smooth it out (sort of roll it over the surface). When dry, spray over it with urethane or lacquer.

Why?

If you mean, why make it instead of buying one... Cost = about $3 ($0 if I already have some decal paper on hand).

If you mean why did I want the logo... Because I was going to use the neck as a replacement, and I wanted it to look like the original neck. Since I ended up putting it on a new body, I am having 2nd thoughts. I'm not trying to pass this ax off as a real Fender, but the decal looks so excellent, I don't want to destroy it. I will probably just add another small decal with my name, or "by" my name to the head.

Now, what to do with that new neck and bridge?

I had put extra money into it for an ebony fingerboard, graphite nut, stainless steel frets, and locking tuners, not to mention my home made decal...

Easy answer to that question... build a new Mustang! :mrgreen:

sorry, no. the correct answer was give it to me :-D