Geeto67

picked up the new baby.....

So I picked up a really cheap jag-stang last night and man o man I forgot how good these guitars sounded. Despite an intermittent pot, and all the hardware being loose, she still sounded great. She even survived being slung across my back sans case as I rode my motorcycle back to brooklyn.

I was kind of hoping to pick up a cherry one but honestly this one is an honest closet relic, looking like it has sat in the back of someone's closet since 1997 (which it may have). All the hardware has that matte yellowish tarnish, and the pickgurd has yellowed also. I am starting to see the appeal of a relic guitar though I doubt I will rush out anytime soon and plunk down massive doucats on a fender custom shop relic, it just feels like cheating. The original strings (and I am pretty sure this guitar has never been restrung) were like an egg slicer on my fingers however so replacement is high on the list. Also the humbucker has been swapped for a dimarzio (no idea what model yet) and the trem bar is missing.

Pics to come when I get home tonight.

Anybody have a recomendation for strings?

I have D'addario XLs on my yamaha. I like them, but I am open to considering something different.

I used to use Markley Blue Steels in the 1990s but I want to try some thing different.

I use .10 pure nickel wound strings (typically Fender, Dean Markley, or D'addario brands, but if another pure nickel wound brand is on sale, I'll try those as well). The pure nickel wounds don't produce the output of the more commonly used nickel plated steel strings, but I actually prefer the tone produced by them. The pure nickel strings also have the added advantage of causing little to no fret wear on guitars with nickel-silver frets (like the Jag-Stang), unlike nickel plated steel strings do since steel is (duh) harder than nickel-silver and, therefore, wears it down.

Anyone else here use pure nickel wound strings??

This thread has turned into a 'favourite strings' thread :lol:

d'Addario 10-46 for 25.5" scale, and 11-48 for shortscale.

Back in the old days I remeber trying GHS Boomers and not liking them, tried Fender and didn't like them, tried EB's and did like them. Maybe I will try some EB's when I re-string next...

I picked up a set of D'add XL 9 gauge and a set of EB super slinky 9 gauges. I am going to try out the d'ads first since the guy at the music store recommended them as well. If I don't like them I will just cut them off. If I do like them, my jag is due for a restring and I will use the EBs on it.

I had to open her up over the weekend to "tighten" some loose hardware. The pots were being held in buy their last thread. The neck pickup was just rattling around loose in the body. Since I have it apart - any cheap upgrades I can do right now?

I am thinking a set of 500K pots and an orange drop. There is already a Dimarzio in the bridge (I think it is a super E) and the stock single coil in the neck. Can someone recommend a set of pots or will any old ones do?

also is the neck pup the same as a strat. I was thinking about replacing the neck with a texas special and all I can find are strat pups.

I just figured a texas special because it is what the JS was supposed to have originally before fender cheaped out with the neck pup. I am kinda mixing and matching here as I don't really know what will sound good with the dimarzio, since I don't use dimarzio pups usually in my guitars (most of my axes have duncan humbuckers).

don't know what shipping will be to the states, but sounds interesting.

i use d'addario's, and compile this set:

11 14 18 32 42 58-60

on the bottom string, i often have to use a different brand, but i'll start ordering myself this week. also, that pu probably has the blood of a small child in it...

so I strung up the d'adds and what a glorious mess I have made. I didn't realize it before but the nut on my neck is so worn out that it comes to a very pronounced v in the middle. The G string is resting on the first fret and has a horrible buzz. I am still fiddling with the bridge but it looks like I might just have to replace the nut before continuing. ugh.