fret buzz

I recently purchased a new mustang 65 RI. My local music shop had to order it 'cause they had none in stock. It has extreme fret buzz. Fender support told me that it was set up before it was shipped out. I am going to have it set up again at the music shop. Other than that, what could be causing the buzz.

I never had this occur on my jaguars.

The frets are brand new. I just purchased the guitar a month or so ago. I am going to let the shop adjust the truss rod. I have only done that on my older guitars.

Also it has 9's on it. I am thinking of going to 11/52. Do you guys think I'll have to cut the nut for these strings?

The frets are brand new. I just purchased the guitar a month or so ago. I am going to let the shop adjust the truss rod. I have only done that on my older guitars.

Also it has 9's on it. I am thinking of going to 11/52. Do you guys think I'll have to cut the nut for these strings?

You will only have to widen the wound string spacings very slightly on the nut, not deepen them.

I'm having fret buzz since I swapped the necks on my teles, mainly on the guitar with the newer neck. I guess it has something to do with the fret size - I think the new neck has medium jumbo's, while the old neck seems to have smaller vintage-style frets - and some wear on the older neck. I tried raising the action, and it's still there, and the action is now substantially higher than I would like.

The new guitar, with the old neck, plays really well. If anything I could actually lower the action a bit further.

I might ask my luthier a couple of question on Monday if he declared my Jagmaster ready to be picked up.

• 11 years later...

I think the problem is not fret buzz. The mustang bridge buzzes for some reason. I had a 2021 American Mustang, and I noticed that it was buzzing at the bridge when unplugged. I sent it back. I just got a Squire vintage modified Mustang, and it has the exact same buzz at the bridge. It’s not the frets.