My first Jag-Stang, and I have questions

Story

First post !

So first of all, I'm not a Kurt Cobain fanatic, I am mainly someone who was looking for a solution to a problem, I've been playing a Gretsch Duo Jet and 1969 Stratocaster for a while, I HAD a mustang which I liked allot, It was my live guitar, all scratched up old '66 Stang I liked allot until ... well ... Let's just say Too much booze+ gig + Guitar = niet ...

But I saved the neck which is all good

Now ... I decided that this baby deserves a second life, I tried a Jaguar locally and newer mustangs, and well .. found them to be expensive and of course, the pickups need hardcore modding, way too lo-fi, and here in Canada 1000$ is too much anyways

So off to fleabay and after a bit of browsing ... tadum ... 1995 Jagstang in Fiesta Red

WTF IS A JAGSTANG ????

Well a bit of research and wow, ok, sounds like a good compromise even though apparently it's a bad guitar ...

So I get it for under 500$ shipped

which is a great price ! I have a black tonerider bucker Alnico 4 waiting to drop into the bridge, A Lace Sensor silver on the neck or maybe an old strat pup, I'm swapping the pguard for a Brown Tort guard,

Now for the questions

Q - I have vintage guts from Tele's, Stangs, 500K pots 250K pots etc ... fat orange drop caps etc ... what are good off the mark mods I should try? I'm looking for a really good Fat Sound on the Bridge a good Strat neck tone on the SCoil

Q - Will it fit Mustang necks old ones especially ?

here are pics from the auction, sorry If I beat you

Jags.jpg

Hey man, welcome to the forums :wink:

As an ex-stang user, you'll be happy with a jagstang. You might see it as a second chance - there is a great guide here on setting up the trem.

As for pickups and wiring, I highly reccomend installing 500k pots and replacing pickups. I reckon toneriders are okay, I might get some myself some time :)

Also, research a little about guitar wiring in general. With the switches you get on stangs, there are a load of mods you could do. One I'd really recomend is making one of the switches the pickup selector. The stang switching thingo is rubbish and needs replacing IMO

And yes, old mustang necks are compatible with jagstangs.

So before you ask, yes there is a switch right under the volume knob, no clue what it's for, the auction dude seems to thinks it's a pickup switch, we'll see the wiring when I get it

As for the result I am looking for look wise it's a bit like my old Mustang

65jazzaswas.jpg

tortpg-1.jpg

My guess is that the switch would be a coil split for the Humbucker. As far as the neck is concerned, ya it'll fit, might take some routing to the pocket though (However, I like the Jag-stang neck better than the mustang necks I've played). I forgot what your other questions were, so I'm gonna post this and read over your post again and try to answer your other questions.

As far as getting it to look like your old stang, you can get tons and tons of different pickguards at http://www.wdmusic.com I'm sure you could find a red tort pg like your old one.

I got the pickguard ! thanks for the link guys !

500K would be great for the bridge bucker ... but doesn't that compromise the Scoil sound ?

wouldn't it be crazy bright ?

Also is there a company that makes a better Stang bridge as it's one of the things I hated about the stang,

It'd be brighter for sure but I don't think it'd ruin anything. However, one possible solution would be to get a 500k concentric pot to act as the volume and tone controls for the humbucker and get a 250k concentric pot to act as a seperate set of volume and tone controls for the single coil. They are both available at http://www.allparts.com. Also you got a Jag-stang pickguard from wdmusic, right? cuz they aren't the same as stang pickguards.

Hmm ...

So I see that the solution would be to probably go with 500 K pots, I wonder how they do it

on a Fat Telecaster, what kind of pots are used.

Anyhow ! awesome forum !

Will try the pickups and pots on the axe to see how it turns out, tell me about the Jagstang humbucker, it's a Fender made Dimarzio H-3 I think, I had an Ibanez with that pickup and it was :-tired

So far I'm pretty psyched ! I need a purely rythmic guitar and I think that this could do a pretty sweet job !

Anyone can give me insight on improving sustain ?

Dimarzio H-3 I think

I don't think it its. It comes in at about 5.5 ohms wheras H3s are somewhere in the reigion of 13k

wtf kinda low wind gts you 5k

I know. Crazy :lol:

Its one of the main reasons that people replace those pickups. They're not bad pickups, just underwound. Which ain't a bad thing if you play jazz. Obviously fender japan must've thought Kurt cobain was a jazz player :lol:

• 1 year later...

I got the pickguard ! thanks for the link guys !

500K would be great for the bridge bucker ... but doesn't that compromise the Scoil sound ?

wouldn't it be crazy bright ?

Also is there a company that makes a better Stang bridge as it's one of the things I hated about the stang,

It's an old post but do you have a picture of that pickguard you bought from wdmusic?

It's an old post but do you have a picture of that pickguard you bought from wdmusic?

If you are looking for a pickguard, there are usually four or five at a time up on ebay with picks. That is where I got my black pearl one for mine. You can kind of see it in my sig.