theVOID

Different Lake placid blue colurs?

I just got a Jap RI crafted in japan 2001 Competition Mustang in Lake Placid blue.

However Im a bit dissapointed, its much much darker blue than I have seen in many pictures.

Very dark blue. Doesnt at all look like many other LPB mustangs I have seen..

The blue one in this link is much much lighter blue but is still supposed to be Lake placid?

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/200 ... g65vsp.htm

Were there different Lake Placid Blue colours?!

the blue in that link is called cobalt blue i think, its labled CBL not LPB

lake placid blue is very hard to picture and looks very different in different lights, also as it ages it sometimes becomes darker and greener

The japanese LPB is not actually LPB; it's dark blue. they call it lake placid blue, because the deep blue is called LPB in japan since it resembles to LPB for them. so Japanese LPB and the USA LPB is different. doesn't mean that fender japan made a mistake.

the one in the link reminds me of mauie blue done for the international series in the early 80's they also had a crazy yellow in the color series.

the best rep for lpb are old pics of jags from the 60's

i have seen a couple poly issued jags in lbp that haven't faded over time.

i should also note that i have a compstang and a lpb jap jaguar with matching stock, and the lpb jag is a lighter color, but then again did they ever call the re-issue compstangs lpb or were they just labled "blue"

but then again did they ever call the re-issue compstangs lpb or were they just labled "blue"

like I said earlier, it is called LPB because the dark blue in Japan is translated as LPB, so it should've been labeled as LPB for the reissue with nonmatching headstock. Fender Japan corrected the American-Japanese LPB confusion with the '73 Competition reissue; the LPB comp mustang is the LPB in American standards instead of the Japanese dark blue.

Also, no vintage competition blue mustangs were ever done in LPB. This is a common mistake people make.

What was it then ?

I thought it was LPB, it looks exactly the same as the custom colour & guitar restorers that have done a refin used LPB as an exact match on those comp mustangs, same as the comp red was Candy Apple Red.

The variations in colour were due to the nitro clear coat top laquer reacting with the elements over time.

It is called "competition burgundy" and looks very different to LPB...because it is!

Here's the Fender color chart from 1970: (as is clearly visible LPB and Competition blue are two totally different colors!) I'm yet to see a japanese fender with the correct competition blue color, they just dont exist in the correct colors as is visible in the fender japan chart below.

fender1970colorchart.jpg

In the chart below notice the competition blue mustang isnt LPB its actually "old lake placid blue" and "ocean turquoise metallic".! If I were to buy a RI competion mustang (which I wouldnt, i'd get an original 1969 one) I'd buy the OTM as its much closer to competition burgundy than LPB.

The only RI competition mustangs I like are red,orange and white.

Have you guys seen the Fender Japan competition white mustang? i have quite a few good pics of one and its great looking mustang!!!

fender_japan_mustang.jpg

It is called "competition burgundy" and looks very different to LPB...because it is!

Here's the Fender color chart from 1970: (as is clearly visible LPB and Competition blue are two totally different colors!) I'm yet to see a japanese fender with the correct competition blue color, they just dont exist in the correct colors as is visible in the fender japan chart below.

Its Lake Placid Blue !

The appearance can be different, because Fender were inconsistent where undercoats were concerned, ie ; usually LPB on more expensive guitars would be undercoated with a metallic coat that showed off the LPB to its best, Fender would not bother with this stage concerning the mustang, to cut costs, so the LPB would appear less metallic looking.

I thought everyone knew that the "Burgundy" reference was a miss print by Fender's printers.

I think you will find that the comp blues were LPB with lighter stripes, the paint mixing technology was not great in the 60's causing slight differences in colour from the manufacturer. Also as I said before concerning vintage guitars, the colour differences we see now, were caused by the clear top coat aging & causing the blue to appear green or purple, that's how the misleading "rare" purpleburst mustang comes about, its not rare its just the aging process of clear nitrocellulose lacquer.

The LPB available today is a match, so will not look the same, so on the re-issue mustangs it looks a great deal brighter, as would a standard refin, unless its done by an expert in the aging process.

Mislabeling paint colors doesnt account for the fact that the blues are indeed different.

Its a historical fact that fender never made mustangs in LPB, Daphne blue or Dakota red.

They called them competion blue(which IS NOT LPB), blue and red. The red,blue and white 64 (onwards) mustangs were the patriotic American colors and just refered to as red,blue and white.

ONly later were the names dakota and daphne and even LPB mistakingly given to mustangs.

Even today most people cant tell the difference between daphne blue and sonic blue they think sonic is daphne and daphne is sonic. This is irrelevent anyways as daphne isn't the original fender color name, just "blue" is.

Anyways, mustang afficionados call the competion blue mustang "competion blue" not LPB, the competion red one "competion red" etc etc. These are the generally accepted terms to use.

As for the purple burst, there's actual photos (I'll try find them for you guys) of brand new comp blue mustangs from the 60's/70's and the headstock is already purple burst, it seems that it was an intentional thing on some comps stangs and is not due to the nitro doing it to it over time, the headstock bursts are too consistent for this anyways,they look too intentional,like they have purposfully been sprayed that way and indeed some were. I've seen some comp blue stangs with real aged nitro bursts on the bodies but not the headstocks,they look different than the purple burst headstocks. More often than not comp blue mustangs turn purple entirely or stay pretty blue although aged nitro bursts do exist.

And of course blues turn green/purple over years, my blue mustang is half green itself, especially around the edges,then under the pickguard you can see the original color.

I especially like how some comp red mustangs turn bronze!

Mislabeling paint colors doesnt account for the fact that the blues are indeed different.

Its a historical fact that fender never made mustangs in LPB, Daphne blue or Dakota red.

They called them competion blue(which IS NOT LPB), blue and red. The red,blue and white 64 (onwards) mustangs were the patriotic American colors and just refered to as red,blue and white.

ONly later were the names dakota and daphne and even LPB mistakingly given to mustangs.

Even today most people cant tell the difference between daphne blue and sonic blue they think sonic is daphne and daphne is sonic. This is irrelevent anyways as daphne isn't the original fender color name, just "blue" is.

I think you are confusing things a bit here, its true that Fender never openly admitted they used the Fender custom colours Dakota Red - Daphne Blue & Olympic White on the student model mustang, they were marketed as Red, White & Blue so it did not cause problems with the higher end guitar range that had the custom colour options. Why would they go to the lengths of using a different paint on a student model ? They were the Fender custom colours -Dakota Red, Daphne Blue & Olympic White no question.

The comp mustangs have always been known as comp red, comp blue & comp orange, but still the red & blue are the same candy apple red & lake placid blue & in most cases minus the undercoat, there is still some mystery as to where the orange came from, but you have to look at the cars of the day, in particular the 69 Ford Mustang , cars are where all of the paint ideas came from, slight variations from Dupont & Ditzler, plus all of the other suppliers that Fender used. Sonic Blue was a totally different colour & as you say a lot of people get them mixed up.

I think you are confusing things a bit here, its true that Fender never openly admitted they used the Fender custom colours Dakota Red - Daphne Blue & Olympic White on the student model mustang, they were marketed as Red, White & Blue so it did not cause problems with the higher end guitar range that had the custom colour options. Why would they go to the lengths of using a different paint on a student model ? They were the Fender custom colours -Dakota Red, Daphne Blue & Olympic White no question.

Of course and we are only talking about the mustang! Whether they actually used different colors IDK for sure but they were only ever called red,white and blue, thats evident.

The comp mustangs have always been known as comp red, comp blue & comp orange, but still the red & blue are the same candy apple red & lake placid blue & in most cases minus the undercoat, there is still some mystery as to where the orange came from, but you have to look at the cars of the day, in particular the 69 Ford Mustang , cars are where all of the paint ideas came from, slight variations from Dupont & Ditzler, plus all of the other suppliers that Fender used. Sonic Blue was a totally different colour & as you say a lot of people get them mixed up.

Its a entirely different blue, mislabelled as"competion burgundy" sure, because burgundy is a redishXpurplish color as we all know.

However, NO competition mustang was ever LPB!

Once I find the pics of new competition blue mustangs from the late 60's/early 70's I can prove it to you, it was never LPB,it was always darker than LPB from the day it was painted. And even in that color chart I posted candy apple red is slightly different to competion red, how do you explain that if they are the same color? Why have two same colors call them differnt names and show a different color sample for it?

The Fender Japan colors have never been vintage correct,just like the pickguards and electronics and tremolo and dots and bindings etc etc etc,they aren't supposed to be vintage correct. There's not really too much from fender japan that is vintage correct! The mustangs come close instyle but colors,not really, electronics,nope,neck dots,nope, vibrato,yes, pickguards, nope.

And with jaguars and jazzmaster its even worse. You cant fit an AVRI PG on a CIJ jaguar without filing it and redrilling every single hole for it. the only things that line up are the bridge thimbles,pickup location and neck pocket,other than that the PG is a different shape in a few places. The elctronics are all wrongs,the body is slightly wrong the decal is worng,the neck is wrong. Fender Japan cant get anything vintage correct. They are #### great guitars though regardless(except for stock jaguars and jazzmasters)

Anyways, we aren't gonna see eye to eye on this so lets just forget it!

Anyways, this is what is Burgundy actually is:

Burgundy_Napkin.jpg

I don't think anyone was doubting what Burgundy was & I guess you never read the bit about suppliers & undercoats, best we agree to disagree :?