minho422

how should I increase the sustain...

Mustang will not sustain like a les paul but can be improved by:

1. Tighten the tailpiece ( as lots of guys suggested here). But i don't do it coz it alters the feel of tremolo. I just increase the angle of string to bridge enough to make the trem not feel tight. Some who doesn' t use trem prefer to lock it.

2. Securing the rocking bridge. I think the stock bridge dampens the sound transfer to the body causing notes to decay rapidly. Plus of course mustang's weak pickup. This is just my theory though. I am using a TOM bridge which i think has a lesser play for a better coupling. I think the best way to improve sustain is to replace the entire bridge with a modern TOM but it's tough to do and undo this mod.

3. Hotter amp. May not increase sustain but notes will ring better. Our ears may perceive it as increased sustain.

4. Hotter pickup. Well, i did it. To me my mustang still sounds like a mustang. But the TS already omitted this option.

internet tough? I'm getting mad because I briefly described why I don't want to change the pickup but you ignored all of my reasons and kept suggesting me to change the pickup. I had reasons to be frustrated but you call me internet tough because of that? so based on your thought, anyone who outword you because you kept reasoning the wrong asnwer over and over again is internet tough?

robert(original) was right; most of you are just gear-fanatics who can't play that well. It's my fault for asking this question here. bye.

internet tough?

you're way over sensitive!

If you re read this thread you'll find that wasn't even directed at you as you wern't even around at the time.

Yes,based on my 202 posts here and never having met me you can establish as fact I cant play that well! :roll:

15 years of playing has to lead somewhere doesnt it? And staying on your way of thought, 7 years of med school only make idiots!

you're suggesting that I should use my mustang like an Ibanez superstrat, where the guitar itself doesn't have a tone but it solely depends on its pickups.
I have'nt read all the thread but thats about it, although all guitars have tone.

The guitar will sustain but its not going to sustain like Les Paul, bottom line is its a bolt-on neck, small bodied guitar with a bridge that is notorious for lacking sustain qualities.

robert(original) was right; most of you are just gear-fanatics who can't play that well. It's my fault for asking this question here. bye.

35 years playing in all types of semi pro bands - I think I qualify as a player - Got a 65 mustang in 1975, still play it & currently own 6 mustangs, don't know about the others but I think I know what I am talking about :-hmmm

One thing that I overlooked is the EHX LPB,it will increase sustain somewhat, not as much as you want but it will help.
There are a few external options like a Boss Comp/Sustainer, the Boost pedals like the LPB may clip the signal too much depending on what he wants(?)

I dunno, its not a case of no-one here can actually play. For years people have come to this forum looking to change what their Jags and 'Stangs actually are. Improvement is one thing but they are great because of what they are. I wonder if the Gretsch forums have people asking how to make their White Falcons sound like Les Pauls? I doubt it.

I know the only reason I joined this forum is that when ever I came here (rarely) there was always a #### load of un answered questions. I've been playing offset Fenders for 15-16 years so I thought I could help people. I've been modifing my guitars and pedals for just as long too.

I'm one of the older posters here (there's not many over 30 here hey,most are teenagers...I'm 31) and with age comes knowledge. I like to share that knowledge because I had to teach myself most of what I know cause the internet wasn't real popular in the early/mid 90's and hardly anyone (especially me) could afford to have the interwebz and if they did it was 56k dial-up anyways.

I think the first time I went online was 1998. :mrgreen:

BTW,Fran,I've recently put the stock AVRI pickups back in my jag cause I kinda wanted the authentic Jag sound again, humbuckers semi destroy this sound.

Its still got no rhythm circuit or slide switches and just goes AVRI pups (standard parallel)> three way toggle>1megA vol pot>out.

After years and years of modding my Jaguar and playing humbuckers in it it makes me think why did I bother,I love the Stock(ish) AVRI sound!!! (Well I know why I had humbuckers in it,because I was playign some heavy riffs but I've started going in a different dirrection not so recently {past year or two})

I know the only reason I joined this forum is that when ever I came here (rarely) there was always a #### load of un answered questions. I've been playing offset Fenders for 15-16 years so I thought I could help people. I've been modifing my guitars and pedals for just as long too.

I'm one of the older posters here (there's not many over 30 here hey,most are teenagers...I'm 31) and with age comes knowledge. I like to share that knowledge because I had to teach myself most of what I know cause the internet wasn't real popular in the early/mid 90's and hardly anyone (especially me) could afford to have the interwebz and if they did it was 56k dial-up anyways.

I think the first time I went online was 1998. :mrgreen:

BTW,Fran,I've recently put the stock AVRI pickups back in my jag cause I kinda wanted the authentic Jag sound again, humbuckers semi destroy this sound.

Its still got no rhythm circuit or slide switches and just goes AVRI pups (standard parallel)> three way toggle>1megA vol pot>out.

After years and years of modding my Jaguar and playing humbuckers in it it makes me think why did I bother,I love the Stock(ish) AVRI sound!!! (Well I know why I had humbuckers in it,because I was playign some heavy riffs but I've started going in a different dirrection not so recently {past year or two})

Similar here, i get where your coming from with all that.

I used to modify my Jags (except the '64, that would be insane) but in the end i used a Toronado as the band just wanted a heavy sound, they still do in fact.

I can get away with a Hot Rail in my 65 Mustang but its still not got the depth of the Toronado.

I came here years ago when it was really busy, i still like it here coz its laid back and more fresh in a way. You go to Offset and everyones done and tried everything, its like theres not much left to discuss except building period correct guitars. Decent guys over there though.

Its good having you post here anyway ;)

Plus over there there's a little too many rich doctors and lawyers and vintage jazzmaster owners and a fair bit of peer preasure to own vintage jazzmasters,the earlier the better. They may have well called it "the jazzmaster forums" as they are the dominant theme there.

Its always kinda reminded me of TGP in some ways but there are some good people there who are above all that #### and who just like to talk and not be bragging gear snobs.

I like quality gear myself and wont play #### but vintage does NOT mean "better" for a couple of reasons 1)Better is subjective, 2) claiming vintage guitars are better is not only a mere personal opinion its also claiming Fender cant make guitars right today which is ridiculous!

I own a vintage mustang and a AVRI modified CIJ Jaguar and the CIJ is pretty much my favorite guitar. I've played CIJ mustangs and vintage ones and there's not a lot of difference in anything TBH. The only reason I like vintage guitars is because I like beat up looking guitars and usually you need to buy an old one to get one that IS actually beat up,IMO it has nothing to do with anything else except aesthetics!

Of course 40 year old pickups sound a little different but its not night and day IME.

I sometimes get sick of the idea that is pushed a lot over there that "vintage is better" when its subjective.

I saw this brand new AVRI jaguar vs an original 62 Jaguar shoot out video this guy done,he posted it on OSG (its a couple years ago now), and they both sounded 100% identical!

I thought "so much for vintage is better"LOL

Also,there's not much appreciation for Fender japan over there when once you gut a Jap Fender and replace all the parts with US parts (not actually much cheaper than buyng AVRI in the first place) they are easily equal to the US counterpart IMO/IME. Fender Japan electronics and hardware(on jags and jazzes) is crud, but once its got AVRI parts in it you cant tell the difference in a blind sound test IME.

As always with ANYTHING in life, its all about "status" and "brand" and what others will think of you rather than what you yourself think!

That's why I like Oliver Ackermann (Death By Audio),he playes beat up CIJ jaguars and jazzmasters.He doesnt replace much at all,he just guts them electronically and puts El Cheapo lipsticks in them. He also owns a vintage jaguar and jazzmaster that he's kept stock but who besides millionares like SY is gonna gut vintage guitars that you have to bust your ass to afford?!?!?!?! Not too many people thats who! I mod vintage guitars but I dont "gut" them like SY.

Anyways,rant over!

:roll:

:mrgreen:

The snobbery irritates me too. Dont get me wrong i've got 3 pre-cbs Fenders, other Fenders, i've had Gibsons, PRS, Ibanez, Matsumoku stuff, British hand made... but some of my all time favorites have been Korean Squiers. I've been playing 20 years at that so i think my judgement has some value here.

Our band foolishly went into a competition called 'live & unsigned' which was like a national x-factor thing for actual bands. In the first round at Sheffield City Hall all the bands had to wait in this room/corridor. as you can imagine, lots of posturing and posing was going on and i had a good glance around at peoples guitars. Average age group= 23. There was every vintage Tele you can imagine interjected with some Ibanez Vai machines plus the mandatory Strats and Les Pauls. These kids had obviously broke their arses to buy these guitars or more likely their parents had, and i pitied them, i really did. Sorry if that sounds condescending but i thought to myself, they had missed the point completely.

It may sound hypocritical but at the end of the day i've worked on building sites in sun, rain and snow for 20 years to get the guitars i have, i appreciate what they are and i also appreciate what cheaper instruments are. In most cases it is'nt much beyond some personal desire based on an image/mojo thing; like your AVRI - Vintage comparison.

I will not personally modify a Vintage guitar, not irreversably anyway. Bands like SY and Nirvana were from a different school of thought imo, back then Jags and stuff were an affordable Fender.. but did'nt quite sound right, so they ignorantly modified them thinking no more of it. Although, i remember watching SY in 1990 and i swear to god there was not a Jazzmaster in sight. They were using trashy pawn shop guitars, but everyone keeps banging on how they've used Jazzmasters since god was a lad and all that.

I think our generation and younger realise the money tied up in Vintage guitars a lot more and also appreciate they will soon all be gone... leave the damn thing as it is! :wink:

LOL on the 23YO vintage snobs,its so typical...they are all over teh interwebz!!!

I like vintage too....and AVRI AND believe it or not CIJ, I prefer vintage IF its beat to hell other than that I prefer AVRI cause less mods are involved for me to get it how i want it.

When I mod CIJ jags all I'm left with is the wood! That's a lot of parts to buy! :mrgreen:

Yeah, Lee said something about in 88/89 (in the youtube video "lee talks about his jazzmaster")the whole band got ONE jazzmaster. Before that they used tons of cheap guitars, most they still have some got stolen me thinks.

And in the late 80's early 90's pre/post CBS jaguars and jazzmasters where cheap as anythign anyways, it was'nt even like us modding CIJ's today, it was cheaper than that. That's why SY have a lot of modified vintage guitars,they got them for $200-$300 each Jag/Jazz depending.

I doubt they would be modding $10,000 pre CBS Jazzmasters nowadays if they actually payed $10,000 for it today!

I've though about irreversable mods (a three way toggle) to my 66 mustang and it really wouldnt bother me..... but I'd also like to keep it original cause every idiot with a hand drill and chisel is hacking up mustangs these days. I'll mod ANY vintage guitar electronically cause you're only loosing solder joints, that's fvck all IMO. I'm not real sentimental about guitars so some, vintage or not, will get modded some wont......Like when I eventually get a Vintage Jag all I'll do is take the mute and bridge off and put a Gotoh nashville TOM on it, gut the electronics to pups>toggle(with non original hex plate, I'll buy an AVRI one for it)>vol pot>jack. 99.99999999% reversable,all except the solder.

i would LOVE a vintage guitar, but i dont think they have another 2000bucks worth of guitar in them... its just not worth it.

but thats from some poor sack of #### like me :D all my tones in my pedals and amps, so as long as my guitar feels right i dont really give a #### (IMO!)

On 10/8/2009 at 2:38 AM, minho422 said:

I've tried everything from reconfiguring to adding more mass to the body to increase the vibe for the sustain to last, but none of them did not work. I gave up and just started using sustainer + compressor instead, because I really can't figure out how to increase the sustain naturally.

the most simplistic way to do it is changing the wood to mahogany or any dense wood, or getting the high sensitive Tom Anderson single coil, but I don't want to alter my mustang's originality.

so anyone know how to do it?

Get a new guitar. Let the Mustang be what it is