lace sensors

• 3 weeks later...

I have blue neck, silver middle and red bridge in a U.S strat.

The blue one sounds like a classic strat single coil, the silver sounds erm, different, and the red sounds like a bucker.

The silver one i don't have alot of use for, i have to set it flush with the pickguard to stop my hand from hitting it, so i never use it, the other two are great.

The blue one sounds like a classic strat single coil, the silver sounds erm, different, and the red sounds like a bucker.

The silver one i don't have alot of use for, i have to set it flush with the pickguard to stop my hand from hitting it, so i never use it, the other two are great.

Pumpkins fan, by any chance...?

I was thinking of doing the Strat-Ultra/Billy Corgan red silver blue set up for a while, but decided against the red after hearing it in person. I use a good amount of clean tone and the red sounds really muddy on a clean setting. I'm going to try out one of the hot bridge hot gold lace sensors that recently came out. They supposedly have output close to the red sensor while retaining the clarity found in the gold sensors b/c of the barium ferrite magnets they use in them, but I won't know for sure until I can either find a decent demo vid or try them out myself....

Just remember, they're are more sensors out now besides the red, blue, silver, and gold of yesteryear. Maybe the burgandy or purple or one of the other new lace pickups will suit yr tastes. Lace has absolutely amazing tones available, their pickups are just, well, different... Some of them aren't aesthetically pleasing to my eye, but my ears say otherwise... Lace is truly a revolutionary pickup company... http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/electric_pickups.php

• 2 weeks later...

I am a pumpkins fan yes.

I've used these lace sensors for like about 8-10 years with a variety of different amps, and it's always the same outcome, in distortion, the blue is extremely bass heavy and the red is sweet, spot on.

On a clean setting, both are clean, really clean, but the blue is more bassy.

I don't see how you guys can say the red is muddy.

My strat is a strat plus though, the TBX control gives you tons of tone options.

Each tone pot is set to control the two halves of the tone scale, one controls the highs, one controls the lows.

The red has never been muddy in my world, the blue always has.

As an example of the clean properties of the red sensor in the bridge position, i could plug it into any guitar amp, and get the exact same clean intro from "Today" within 10 seconds of dialling in, i mean exact replica.

I use the red for clean to distorted sections, the blue for some clean work when switching is not needed, and i never use the silver.

I don't know what it is about the blue one, it sounds just like a hot classic strat pickup, think Hendrix/Frusciante kinda thing, but the bass greatly outweighs the highs, even with the bass side of the pickup sat low, bass on the amp low, and highs maxed out.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think Clapton used three golds in his signature strat. I hear they are very clean. Some people have commented that they were so clean they had to replace them because they felt there was no personality to the sound. Could always hit the guitar shop and try guitars with them loaded in and listen to the sound and see what you like. My Jagstang has Blue Lace in the neck and a Red Red dually in the bridge. It is similar to the setup Jonny Greenwood uses in his Telecaster Deluxe. The type of pickup depends on the sound you want. Some sites have sound samples of each pickup so you can get an idea of what to expect.

Check out the link below. It has the different lace pickups and a brief sound description.

http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/lace_sensor/lace_sensor_specs.php

• 3 weeks later...

^ very s. pumpkins 8) i think this is a good configuration if you're really buying some lace pickups...and yeah, the gold's really clean. i was able to play that on a guitar before

• 3 weeks later...

So here we are,

Pics (taken from my cellphone, sorry) :

pic 1

pic 2

Samples :

Guitar plugged directly into the amp (Blues Jr.)

Recorded with a Shure SM58

1 neck

2 neck

3 neck

1st : rythm guitar : tone all the way up

lead guitar : tone all the way down

2nd : rythm guitar : tone all the way down

lead guitar : tone all the way up

3rd : rythm guitar : tone half way

: lead guitar : tone half way

So here we are,

Pics (taken from my cellphone, sorry) :

pic 1

pic 2

Samples :

Guitar plugged directly into the amp (Blues Jr.)

Recorded with a Shure SM58

1 neck

2 neck

3 neck

1st : rythm guitar : tone all the way up

lead guitar : tone all the way down

2nd : rythm guitar : tone all the way down

lead guitar : tone all the way up

3rd : rythm guitar : tone half way

: lead guitar : tone half way

Can't get the pics to work. :(