Things I hate/ need help with.

1. Mustang tuners. Whenever I put on new strings it takes me about two hours because no matter how I wrap the string around the post they always pop out of the open top. Is there something I'm doing wrong because I'm to the point where I wanna just buy new tuners.

2. The mustang bridge. It keeps clicking back and forth when i play messing up my intonation. Is there something I can do or do I just get a tune-o-matic?

1. Mustang tuners. Whenever I put on new strings it takes me about two hours because no matter how I wrap the string around the post they always pop out of the open top. Is there something I'm doing wrong because I'm to the point where I wanna just buy new tuners.

2. The mustang bridge. It keeps clicking back and forth when i play messing up my intonation. Is there something I can do or do I just get a tune-o-matic?

i can't really help, but i get the exact same thing with my mustang bridge.

1, i've never had this string problem, but make sure you put the string as deep in the hole as you can. and pull down on the string and keep tension while you turn the tuning head.

2. if you dont use the trem wrap some electrical tape around the bridge posts until it is solid in the bridge thimbles and doesn't rock anymore

I was gonna say "you do know ya need to put the string in the hole in the center of the tuning post ,push it down at least an inch, yeah?" But it seems too obvious to me!

If you do it right there's no fvcking way in hell it will pop out, its impossible!

Its ridiculous how many times I've seen people try and string them straight through not in the hole. These tuners are my favorite and if used correctly are very convenient

I was gonna say "you do know ya need to put the string in the hole in the center of the tuning post ,push it down at least an inch, yeah?" But it seems too obvious to me!

If you do it right there's no fvcking way in hell it will pop out, its impossible!

Its ridiculous how many times I've seen people try and string them straight through not in the hole. These tuners are my favorite and if used correctly are very convenient

i agree, they rock, and they look Cool!

well damn now im embarrassed
Don't be. I just learned about sticking the string down the whole when I got my Mustang back from the shop. I always did the standard string lock technique on it like every other guitar. It never slipped. I saw how the luthier did it and was like "Oh! So that's how it works." facepalm.gif

if you don't want your bridge to lock, get some conductive material, like copper tape or the alluminum tape from autozone, wrapped the posts and re-insert the bridge.

as far as the tuners i think everyone has pretty much covered it.

i always measure my strings half past the next string post, then cut it, stick it in the hole and by the time itstuned to pitch the string only wraps around about 1 time, so there is no slipping going on and its deffinitly secure.

I'm fortunate the bridge and trem are stable on my pre-CBS '65. I'm not much of a technician, maybe because I haven't had to be. But I do know a stringing trick I learned on acoustics that works well on my electrics, regardless of whether the post is slotted or has holes.

1. Draw the string taught from the bridge and wrap it around the post twice, from the bottom of the post up;

2. Keeping tension on the string, slide it down into the slot;

3. Keeping the tension on the string, turn the key till you bring the string to pitch.

This locks the string around the post. This type of lock eliminates breaks caused by locking the string against the edge of the slot.

By the way, stringing an electric is a bit more complicated than stringing an acoustic, and I know acoustic pickers who pay the guitar shop to change their strings. That seems silly to me...keep learning how to string your axe. It's like knowing how to check the oil in yer car.