Cobainer5182

unwanted feedback..is there a pedal to help?

Guys... do you you have any advice?.....I have been getting some serious unwanted feedback when playing my new Les Paul with the 500T humkbucker. The volume is at a moderate to mildly high level, (needed to keep up with a full band). I am getting a screeching nasty feedback sound when I go from playing distorted chords to a brief pause with the distortion still on then back to more chords. If I mute the strings at that part it helps, but that sucks having to do that each time that part of the song comes around. I use a strat and tele with hot rails and do not have that problem. Is there a pedal that would cut out all of the unwanted feedback without changing the sound? Any ideas?

You could try lowering the pickup height... it'll reduce output

Are you standing to close to the amp/speaker? I got a 20' cable, so I can move around the room when I play. But when I go to smack the kids, I feel like a dog on a chain... all bark, no bite.

there are several noise reducing pedals you can checkout. Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor Pedal, ISP Technologies Decimator, MXR M-135 Smart Gate Pedal, Electro-Harmonix XO Hum Debugger Hum Eliminator Guitar Effects Pedal . they start around $79 and go up from there. i dont use any myself but i have heard lotsa good things about the ISP Technologies Decimator pedal.

there are several noise reducing pedals you can checkout. Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor Pedal, ISP Technologies Decimator, MXR M-135 Smart Gate Pedal, Electro-Harmonix XO Hum Debugger Hum Eliminator Guitar Effects Pedal . they start around $79 and go up from there. i dont use any myself but i have heard lotsa good things about the ISP Technologies Decimator pedal.

do noise gates really help with feedback (not hum) at all I've never even thought about using one for anything besides hum?

Just a thought... do the pickups in your Les Paul have covers on them?

I ask because they may simply not be potted very well. An easier cheaper way of getting rid of the feedback might have been to either remove the covers completely or get your pickups repotted. Assuming they have covers...