Sign in to follow this  
Hundredxnails

Finding a Replacement Neck for a Vintage Body

Hey, I am new. I have been playing on and off for 10 years. I built my own 60's Strat from junk bins at second hand instrument stores. And have always had a soft spot for the Mustang, and Jaguar. Jagstang seemed a little to radical of a body for my taste, but I still liked playing.

I had found an amazing thing a few months ago while garage saleing. I found a Fender Mustang Body with a snapped Neck, no pickguard, no electronics, no trem. I picked it up for $75. It wasnt untill just last week that I found out what I had purchased. It is a body that was Manufactured in 1966! The Date and serial number add up correctly and all that fun stuff.

Now the problem that I am sitting at is finding a replacement neck. As much as I would like to put a vintage neck on it, I am afraid I cannot afford one. Not only that But It is missing pretty much everything else as well. Now I am curious, would any Reissue parts fit this body? Or am i stuck tracking down vintage parts?

good luck, ive been looking for a neck for my duosonic now for about 5 years, no one seems to have one

While I feal you on having dificulties, I am only worried about fitment. I found that vintage and reissue are plentiful. Its a matter of cost. I'd rather put this together sooner rather than later, but since finances are limited I'd rather put a reissue on, I just need to know if it will fit.

I stuck a MIJ 1996 Mustang neck on a 1966 Mustang body and it fit without any problems.

I see vintage Mustang necks on ebay all the time for under $200.

Im not 100% sure, but i think reissue parts will work on a vintage body, EXCEPT the pickguards. You can buy new pickguards for vintage Mustangs, just make sure it says 'for USA or vintage Mustangs'.

Also, this just popped in my head a few moments. Wouldn't a Jaguar Neck fit just the same? I think my friends father has a parted out jaguar that he has been sitting on for a while I could make a deal with him... maybe...

Thanks alot for you help!

does the FAQ have the dimensions?

Edit: also I had an idea. Warmoth necks will fit, but they wont be the vintage 7 1/4 radius. Instead of a vintage rebuild, I could go with a Cobain build, using a tun-o-matic (that has a 12 radius), and pair it with a 12 radius Warmoth neck. Shouldn't that work out, without any of the difficulty in palm muting? Or is that not how it works... (i had my strat professionally set up after I assembled everything, so I guess I am a phoney :( )

I would prefer to do a vintage rebuild, but if there are more readily available parts for alternative builds I suppose I could go with that, but again.. not my preference...