Strings for Mustang.

theunknown22

I was wondering what strings sound best with the mustang? I'm not really talking about gauges as I want to stick with the size it came with but I'm curious about brands. I usually use Ernie Ball on my Ibanez knock off but for this I think I should use something more vintage sounding. I was thinking Rotosound. Also I don't want to use stainless still or coated because I want to keep the guitar's frets in good shape.

I use nickel Slinkies with a wound G-String gauged 54-12. I buy Slinkies because they sell single strings; I can order my prefered custom gauge set.

I like nickel strings because of the warmth they impart, but I do think nickel-plated don't sound "beat" as quickly. With any 24" scale git-fiddle it really needs to be a heavy gauge because it really adds "mass" and "thickens" the tone & improves output. on 25.5/24.75" scale I lighten-up to 52-11.

I also really like Dr Vesuvios Snakeoil Brand strings. what brand do you like and why?

Got my '65 pre-CBS Mustang about 7 months ago and haven't experimented yet with different string brands or guages. I know the 10s on it perform well. But I'm not even sure what brand the luthier who put em on selected, now that I think about it.

I'm always curious and may try some 11s next...my only hesitancy is whether 11s will fit the nut... because I will not alter it for the sake of experiment.

So, anyone have thoughts on that?

Got my '65 pre-CBS Mustang about 7 months ago and haven't experimented yet with different string brands or guages. I know the 10s on it perform well. But I'm not even sure what brand the luthier who put em on selected, now that I think about it.

I'm always curious and may try some 11s next...my only hesitancy is whether 11s will fit the nut... because I will not alter it for the sake of experiment.

So, anyone have thoughts on that?

Im sure 11s will fit on the top. It depends on the bottom gauge, but i have 54-12s on my '65 Musicmaster II (all my 'stangs for that matter). At one point I even put "not even slinky" which are gauged 56-12! if it wasn't shortscale id feel like srv :lol:

I'm convinced the best strings in the world for any guitar are DR tite-fits. But considering the price I stopped buying them and found a second best which are almost as good anyways, which happen to be http://www.webstrings.com/ and if you buy in bulk you get a set for only $2.99. HOWEVER, don't let the price fool you, webstrings are EASILY the second best string on the planet IMO and I buy 24 or more packs at a time.

Tons of strings plain G's sound dead but not these,they sound alive. I love 'em and unless i get rich i wont be going back to DR's again.

IMO the worst are D'Adarrio!

BTW, webstrings have various gauges and round wounds, flat wounds and classical and also bass strings I think.

I don't work for them, I don't even live in the US, I'm just an extremely happy customer of there's, have been for years.

I use Darcos on all my guitars cuz I can get them for like 3 bucks a pack. IMO opinion they sound just as good as any other strings, plus they seem to never break I had an extra pack that I was using as replacement strings for when I broke one and it took me about a year and a half to go through it (and at least 3 of those strings were given to friends when they'd come over to my house and break one of their strings).