I can't play my Jag-Stang...

I recently came across a '96 Jag-Stang that was sitting in a friends basement for years, and that he was willing to give it away for 50 bucks... I couldn't say no. I am a bass player, and never had the drive to pick up 6 strings but this guitar made me want to try.

But it wont stay in tune for anything, even after getting new strings, oiling the neck, adjusting the action, etc. I will tune this thing up perfectly, and less than 10 seconds after having it all set, the strings will drop 3 or 4 full steps, even without having the tremolo arm in the vibrato.

I really want to play this guitar, but it can't even hold the notes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It's cause it's a peice of sh*t guitar. I'll give ya $51 for it :-D

The obvious first... It has a tremolo, so you have to tune a string move to the next (don't gotta be perfect, just in the ballpark).... then when you get all 6 strings in tune, start all over. As you bring more strings into tune, it adds tension to the tremolo knocking previous strings outta tune.

This helps me all the time... stretch the strings out, pull all the slack outta them by grabbing the string in the middle of the neck and pulling the slack outta the tuners/tremolo area. Lube the nut/bridge saddle with a #2 pencil. Somebody will drop ya a link on "tremolo setup", basically lube and move the spring.

Alright, I'll give ya $52, final offer!

$650... you can buy another guitar, a bag of weed and a full tank of gas with that

I replaced my tuners with a set at StewMac.com. They were a step up over stock. I honestly don't know how many other guys around here replace their tuners, a topic I don't see often.

• 3 weeks later...
I recently came across a '96 Jag-Stang that was sitting in a friends basement for years, and that he was willing to give it away for 50 bucks... I couldn't say no. I am a bass player, and never had the drive to pick up 6 strings but this guitar made me want to try.

But it wont stay in tune for anything, even after getting new strings, oiling the neck, adjusting the action, etc. I will tune this thing up perfectly, and less than 10 seconds after having it all set, the strings will drop 3 or 4 full steps, even without having the tremolo arm in the vibrato.

I really want to play this guitar, but it can't even hold the notes. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

try 5 steps

1 - ) Setup the Truss road first than all , if you don