theunknown22

Drop in replacement tuners.

The way the dynamic trem is set up would locking tuners work like they do on vintage strat trems? Or would the tailpiece make the switch useless. I'm trying to find the right mods to make to make my stang perform how I would like.

oh! well I'll be damned... :lol: My apologies!

I thought the reissues were all gussied up with Kluson styled tuners. But maybe those are just the 69s.

Unfortunately I was unable to find replacements for these types of tuners. Perhapse one of the other forum members can assist you.

wait! I lied! i found some! they are fender replacements. but they are the new style complete with f stamp.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/imag ... 22-100.jpg

It looks like they listed them wrong (70s opposed to 60s) but they match up the design that your neck uses.

Additional find: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_263622

they might match up and these are cheaper!

you might want to check yours to see if they require 1/4" counterbore. just remove one to see.

This thread's got me motivated. My vintage '65 tuners slip a bit and I've been thinkin about replacing them.

I will not do any modifications to the guitar so I need some recommendations for perfect-fit replacement tuners that will stay in tune.

Suggestions?

This thread's got me motivated. My vintage '65 tuners slip a bit and I've been thinkin about replacing them.

I will not do any modifications to the guitar so I need some recommendations for perfect-fit replacement tuners that will stay in tune.

Suggestions?

this was the exact issue that i came across. The vintage models did not have the 1/4" counter-bore which makes replacement very limited. these are the originals

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_263622

and here are the remakes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_263622

unfortunately they are the best fitting (in terms of screw placement) that I could find, You might be able to modify them, but god damn would that be a huge pain in the ass (if it even worked out!)

on my vintage '65 when the tuners went I put on replacement Klusons (plastic button and all). But thats cuz mine came stock with Klusons. All my 'Stang (& other guitars) since then got Schallers or more recently Gotoh 510s. The Kluson style suck compared to the Schallers & 510's

By the way the Gotoh 510s are so beautiful. I was stuck on Schallers cuz they had that "german quality" and I loved them. But then I wanted locking tuners on a guitar and schaller's locking tuners looked ugly so i went with the Gotoh 510s and found they are just as good as the Schallers and 10x prettier.

They might not look stock, but I use these guitars, and have no intention of selling them so I do them up how they will work the best for me

I just got a set of Sperzel tuners for my strat. The guy I bought them from had the regular 6inline that need to be drilled and he also had a new set of the 6 inline No Drill ones also, which cost about $10 more. idk if they would work for the mustang but you can check them out and see.

Good idea about the no drill application. I have found info that the peg hole needs to be 10mm. It wont fit with smaller vintage 11/32inch sized holes. Does any body know the size for the 65 mustang?

For the F-keys, these are as close as you get. If I ever have to replace the keys on my Mustang, I'll probably use these despite the lack of white plastic buttons. Plus Darren Riley rules, that guy has sent me a LOT of parts and turnaround has been like 3-4 days, and they get here fast.

http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.ph ... tail&p=202

I do know those TOne Pros Kluson's drop right into the formerly Kluson equipped Fender's...I have a set on my Jag-Stang and my Jazzmaster, and when the cheapos on my Jaguar get tired, that one is getting a set of those as well. Those tuners are like Kluson answered my prayers for all these years. The main reason I like them is they are tight, have a good gear ratio, and have the slot safe-t capstans like the old Fender tuners (nice as I hate pricking myself on string ends, and I've found those tuners have the best tuning stability because the capstans act as a lock for the string end).

I'm seriously thinking about putting these on everything, including my Schaller equipped guitars.

I'm about 10 years late to this thread but I decided to upgrade my tuners on my Fender Classic Series '65 Mustang. This is my exact model:  spacer.png

There were a lot of various models of locking tuners thrown around in this discussion, and after my best attempt to research what would literally "Drop in" – the one that I think best fits this series of reissue Mustang is the Kluson 6-In-Line Locking Revolution Series F-Mount Tuners - sold by Stew Mac (product link).

spacer.png

The issue I have with the other tuners mentioned here (Gotoh, etc.) is the positioning of the screw mounts on the back of the headstock. My Mustang's stock tuners have 2 screws on each tuner placed diagonally from each other – and this model of Kulson is the only one I have found that matches that screw pattern.

spacer.png

If anyone has experience with the Kluson 6-In-Line Locking Revolution Series F-Mount Tuners please let me know. Like the original poster, I don't want to drill any extra holes in my headstock or have to retro-fit a new locking tuner to work here – I just want a dependable, locking tuner that fits this model guitar no muss, no fuss. I will be ordering these & will post my findings soon. Thanks!