Drop in replacement tuners.

theunknown22

wait! I lied! i found some! they are fender replacements. but they are the new style complete with f stamp.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/imag ... 22-100.jpg

It looks like they listed them wrong (70s opposed to 60s) but they match up the design that your neck uses.

Additional find: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_263622

they might match up and these are cheaper!

you might want to check yours to see if they require 1/4" counterbore. just remove one to see.

This thread's got me motivated. My vintage '65 tuners slip a bit and I've been thinkin about replacing them.

I will not do any modifications to the guitar so I need some recommendations for perfect-fit replacement tuners that will stay in tune.

Suggestions?

This thread's got me motivated. My vintage '65 tuners slip a bit and I've been thinkin about replacing them.

I will not do any modifications to the guitar so I need some recommendations for perfect-fit replacement tuners that will stay in tune.

Suggestions?

this was the exact issue that i came across. The vintage models did not have the 1/4" counter-bore which makes replacement very limited. these are the originals

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_263622

and here are the remakes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_263622

unfortunately they are the best fitting (in terms of screw placement) that I could find, You might be able to modify them, but god damn would that be a huge pain in the ass (if it even worked out!)

on my vintage '65 when the tuners went I put on replacement Klusons (plastic button and all). But thats cuz mine came stock with Klusons. All my 'Stang (& other guitars) since then got Schallers or more recently Gotoh 510s. The Kluson style suck compared to the Schallers & 510's

By the way the Gotoh 510s are so beautiful. I was stuck on Schallers cuz they had that "german quality" and I loved them. But then I wanted locking tuners on a guitar and schaller's locking tuners looked ugly so i went with the Gotoh 510s and found they are just as good as the Schallers and 10x prettier.

They might not look stock, but I use these guitars, and have no intention of selling them so I do them up how they will work the best for me

• 1 month later...

I just got a set of Sperzel tuners for my strat. The guy I bought them from had the regular 6inline that need to be drilled and he also had a new set of the 6 inline No Drill ones also, which cost about $10 more. idk if they would work for the mustang but you can check them out and see.

For the F-keys, these are as close as you get. If I ever have to replace the keys on my Mustang, I'll probably use these despite the lack of white plastic buttons. Plus Darren Riley rules, that guy has sent me a LOT of parts and turnaround has been like 3-4 days, and they get here fast.

http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.ph ... tail&p=202

I do know those TOne Pros Kluson's drop right into the formerly Kluson equipped Fender's...I have a set on my Jag-Stang and my Jazzmaster, and when the cheapos on my Jaguar get tired, that one is getting a set of those as well. Those tuners are like Kluson answered my prayers for all these years. The main reason I like them is they are tight, have a good gear ratio, and have the slot safe-t capstans like the old Fender tuners (nice as I hate pricking myself on string ends, and I've found those tuners have the best tuning stability because the capstans act as a lock for the string end).

I'm seriously thinking about putting these on everything, including my Schaller equipped guitars.

• 10 years later...

I'm about 10 years late to this thread but I decided to upgrade my tuners on my Fender Classic Series '65 Mustang. This is my exact model:  spacer.png

There were a lot of various models of locking tuners thrown around in this discussion, and after my best attempt to research what would literally "Drop in" – the one that I think best fits this series of reissue Mustang is the Kluson 6-In-Line Locking Revolution Series F-Mount Tuners - sold by Stew Mac (product link).

spacer.png

The issue I have with the other tuners mentioned here (Gotoh, etc.) is the positioning of the screw mounts on the back of the headstock. My Mustang's stock tuners have 2 screws on each tuner placed diagonally from each other – and this model of Kulson is the only one I have found that matches that screw pattern.

spacer.png

If anyone has experience with the Kluson 6-In-Line Locking Revolution Series F-Mount Tuners please let me know. Like the original poster, I don't want to drill any extra holes in my headstock or have to retro-fit a new locking tuner to work here – I just want a dependable, locking tuner that fits this model guitar no muss, no fuss. I will be ordering these & will post my findings soon. Thanks!

• 1 year later...