Guitar shops around here take forever to get things done, recently during a truss rod adjustment, I figured I'd take off my pick guard and straighten out the neck pup...kinda bashed down the magnets on accident, so I wanted to pop em back up, however, unfortunately I snapped one of the soldered wires from where it was soldered...where, I'm not sure, but maybe you know!

Ah, soon after I took this picture, about 15 minutes before this post, I broke the black one (shown next to the white one) too...I looked at iCey's schematics, but that doesn't really help without a full view of what I'm looking at, that or I'm just not reading close enough.

Jag-Stang.jpg

JS kinda cuts off the edge of the photo, (white one cut off at the right is the wire I'm referring to and the black one next to it) but you understand what 2 wires I'm talking about, a drawn picture on paint would be good enough for me s'long it indicates what wire is what and what switch its going to and onto what metal piece it's touching, yeah, you know, specifics are a blessing in disguise when it comes to such things.

I took off the control plate to investigate, I'm perplexed. I can confirm now that it is the red wire on that schematic (white) and the Grounded to Humbucker cavity (black), however, this diagram doesn't really tell me where to solder it. I could go one of 3 ways with the white and the black one is in the middle? I'd use some jargon, but I apparently have a limited vocabulary when it comes to the guts of guitars.

It doesn't telll you which "terminal" on the switch to wire to cause it don't matter... cause there's a "jumper". Jumper is that wire that bounces off the two center terminals on the 3 position swtiches.

Imagine, the switch as this

1 2 3 4

5 6 7 8

2 - 3 & 6 - 7 are always "on" because of that jumper

When you flip the switch, it moves in order like this

Switch in Left position without jumper

1 2

5 6

---------

Switch in Left position with jumper

1 2 3

5 6 7

--------

Center position with & without jumper

2 3

6 7

--------

Right position without jumper

3 4

7 8

--------

Right position with jumper

2 3 4

6 7 8

Just wire the guitar back using the Mustang schematic, you'll be fine.

Looking at the picture below. The switch on the right hand side, looks like the black is ground. You can see a black wire, by a solder joint on the switch casing. I'm pretty certain, only black/white were used on the humbucker/neck pickup.

edit - oh yeh, the obvious, the ground wire to the shield paint is black in the humbucker cavity.

Jag-Stang.jpg

D'OH! I shoulda just looked at that.

I'll draw a jagstang diagram and update the mustang one with a bit of info for n00bs (LOL) then you can add 'em to the site if you want. :mrgreen: no point having a diagram only electronics geeks understand really is there!!!

Quick question too, some time ago, I was beating on my Jag-stang and I pushed the magnets into the pick up, some time after doing that I took off the pickguard and saw little circular glue-like pieces laying in the routes, I can push em back up, they stay up just fine, and it works just fine. Not to detour from my original question, but my new question though, does anyone know if it'd be a bad idea to take some hot glue and glue them back up?

Glue (hot or otherwise) wont hurt them but pushing the magnet rods is a bad idea especially on vintage pups as they are cast rods and have rough edges and if you push them thru the bobbin back and forth you WILL break a winding and that WILL make your pup good and dead!

Modern magnets are smooth and to break a winding is less likely but its still not a good idea.

BTW, them bits are likely wax not glue.

Yeh, I had a set of vintage Jazzmaster they were both dead. Rust had formed on the pole peices, that damaged the coil... or someone pushed the rusty pole peices & that could of damaged the coil. Your playing russian roulette by messing with the pole peices, as the pickups get older. We all have done it though.

Vintage pickups were dipped in lacquer, a bitch to repair later on if the coil was damaged. Now a days, they dip (sometime vacuum press) pickups into a vat of melted parafinn wax. It keeps the coils from vibrating (feedback). On really sh*tty pickups, that haven't been waxed, you can talk into the pickup and hear yourself thru the amp.

Glue (hot or otherwise) wont hurt them but pushing the magnet rods is a bad idea especially on vintage pups as they are cast rods and have rough edges and if you push them thru the bobbin back and forth you WILL break a winding and that WILL make your pup good and dead!

Modern magnets are smooth and to break a winding is less likely but its still not a good idea.

BTW, them bits are likely wax not glue.

Ah, wax, good thinking, didn't think of that.

That's interesting about the vintage pups, unfortunately, I don't own anything vintage except for my Mustang case so, no worries then!

Yeh, I had a set of vintage Jazzmaster they were both dead. Rust had formed on the pole peices, that damaged the coil... or someone pushed the rusty pole peices & that could of damaged the coil. Your playing russian roulette by messing with the pole peices, as the pickups get older. We all have done it though.

Vintage pickups were dipped in lacquer, a bitch to repair later on if the coil was damaged. Now a days, they dip (sometime vacuum press) pickups into a vat of melted parafinn wax. It keeps the coils from vibrating (feedback). On really sh*tty pickups, that haven't been waxed, you can talk into the pickup and hear yourself thru the amp.

I've heard myself through the amp once, it was weird. Hopefully will be soldering this, this week.

Earth, rudunyet rundunyet rudunyet rudunyet rudunyet rudunyet rundunyet rudunyet rudunyet rudunyet rudunyet rundunyet rudunyet rudunyet rudunyet rudunyet rundunyet rudunyet rudunyet rudunyet rudunyet rundunyet rudunyet rudunyet rudunyet rudunyet rundunyet rudunyet rudunyet rudunyet? Are you done yet? hehehe.... don't forget

• 2 weeks later...
Your guitar need shielding. :lol:

Cooper or paint, :wink:

Wiring is piece cake. Get the schematic you want ....... or if you wanna try something new check my wiring style.

haha yeah they do, but if they wanted to live a plain boring life they'd just run away, i'm sure

Compared to the wire schematics it isn't wired stock...pretty shotty job after i looked at it, they weren't very sturdily soldered to the switch at all, definitely won't be taking my guitars back to that guy. So, I'm glad I learned to do it myself.

To my friend Joey: haha btw got it by the 3rd one

The first attempt (2 days ago) resulted in a blister on my thumb that was torn off yesterday. The gun wasn't getting hot enough, so instead of using my grandpas, which I ruined a tip to attempt this, I decided to get a new one, that would get hot enough and some new tips for him.

Yesterday I got it all soldered together, however I noticed a a piece fell out of the switch, this isn't something I've not seen before, I knew right away that switch was garbage, but the switch I re-soldered still works, so that's all gravy. Just need a new switch, and to do more soldering when it comes in! Hopefully I won't go burning myself again, that'd kinda suck with solder + lead in it.

• 1 month later...

The switches I ordered 7 weeks ago finally got in the other day. Replaced them almost successfully. The neck pup switch does not do anything when switched towards the neck, I looked at the schematics, I can't figure it out looking at that. Can anyone tell me what wire goes where to activate that? Or show me on the diagram anyway? I'm pretty sure mines set up like that, but I'm a noob at reading it so I guess I could be wrong.

double check, see if the pickup is not defective... if ya gotta spare jack laying around and some aligator clips ya can test it quickly without putting the guitar back together... use a tuning fork or tap the pickup, should be able to hear it thru your amp.

If the pickup is working, double check all your wires. I put my active JS back together the other day and sure enough, the plug in humbucker unplugged it's self while putting it all back together.

double check, see if the pickup is not defective... if ya gotta spare jack laying around and some aligator clips ya can test it quickly without putting the guitar back together... use a tuning fork or tap the pickup, should be able to hear it thru your amp.

If the pickup is working, double check all your wires. I put my active JS back together the other day and sure enough, the plug in humbucker unplugged it's self while putting it all back together.

Okie dokie. I'll see, but if all the wires are all connected I honestly don't know which one would be wrongfully placed, 'cos like I said I think I followed the diagram perfectly.

Double checked. Even re-soldered some of these connections. Still, the neck pup does not work in the out of phase position. I cannot figure out what is wrong with this. Anyone have some pics I could use as reference, cos the diagram makes little sense to me if I did it wrong I misread it and - I was sure I followed it to a T. I must have something wired in the wrong place, that's the only feasible explanation I think. So please, anyone, take apart your JS and take a pic for me for a reference, I'd greatly appreciate it.