Thinking of Mustang as my next guitar, good choice?

Hey,

I sold my left handed Jaguar because, although I came to really like it, it was too big and bulky for me. I am blessed/cursed with delicate feminine hands, heh, which are small and makes firstly reaching across frets difficult, but mostly fretting itself is tough as are barre chords - basically my hands cramps up, either from the force required to fret or just the positions I have to hold them in - no big hendrix fingers here I'm afraid, can't do the big thumb reach over heh.

I'm looking at doing a direct replacement and getting a Mustang as my new guitar as, from what I can see, they're similar but different - same family line but smaller and thinner, from a body pov, which'll help. I'm also planning on either getting the neck sanded so it's thinner or getting a seperate neck and having that thinned (warmoth etc).

My current guitar, the one I had before the Jaguar, is an Epiphone les paul and it's biggest saving grace is it's neck, which although longer than the Jag, is much much thinner, and so for me a lot easier to play. If I were to get my neck thinned I'd get it shaved to the same width as the Epi.

Therefore do ya'll feel the Mustang is a good choice for me, please? I plan on going to some guitar shops and checking a rightie out, but as a left handed player it's very difficult to accurately gauge something playing it upside down in a chair.

I know Ibanez do thin neck'd guitars but I'm not a fan typically, I like Fender and I like a trem bar. Song wise I like a cleaner sound breaking up and reverb not riffing and metal.

If I do get my leftie Mustang (prob in blue w/tort, ybl i think it is) It'd have to be an eBay Japanese import (same as my Jag) so it won't be cheap alas, then again no decent left handed guitar is.

but in how far is a mustang neck smaller? let's see, the mustangs have 7.25" radius, and 1.625" (41.3 mm) width-at-nut. what do the jap jags have, 9.5" radius?

there are a few fenders that are known for having unusually slim/narrow toothpicky necks, e.g. the jag-stang, the TC-90. won't help too you much, as you are left-handed, but IF you came across a jag-stang neck on ebay ... or a lefty jag-stang ... i'd go for it. or warmoth, as you said.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/Radius.aspx

if i were you i'd try a couple necks in the shops, mustang is definitely a good idea, try the squiers as well, jagmaster and duo-sonic, the new hagstroms, the old danelectros, if you can find one ... i've got pretty small hands as well (smaller than my GFs hands) and though i still like my 60s jazzbox neck most (i actually can do the thumb over on that one), i got used to playing the rather wide modern framus necks and my melody makers gibson-'slim' neck, i'd recommend to take your time with the wider necks, they need some getting used to, but it was worth it and finally worked out, for me.

Hey, Andrew, I really think you're on the right track looking at Mustangs.

I love mine for exactly the reasons you listed...light, thin, small profile, slim neck, and great tones. I have medium-size hands and at first I thought the neck might be too slim for me. I think your smaller hands may feel just fine with a stock neck.

Heres' a lead that might be helpful. Recently there was a post on this Jag-Stang website (titled Andrewlovesgrunge) about a guy in California who's building Poplar (light-weight) Mustangs and his own versions of Jags and Jazzies in his garage. He's on Myspace so Google Garagetone Guitars and you'll find him, lots of pictures...and look at his attention to detail. Says he custom-builds for what you'd pay new. And "custom" means he'll make a leftie, in a '65 width (the slimmest Mustang body), with a neck the size you ask for.

Keep us posted, will ya?

Hey, Andrew, I really think you're on the right track looking at Mustangs.

I love mine for exactly the reasons you listed...light, thin, small profile, slim neck, and great tones. I have medium-size hands and at first I thought the neck might be too slim for me. I think your smaller hands may feel just fine with a stock neck.

Heres' a lead that might be helpful. Recently there was a post on this Jag-Stang website (titled Andrewlovesgrunge) about a guy in California who's building Poplar (light-weight) Mustangs and his own versions of Jags and Jazzies in his garage. He's on Myspace so Google Garagetone Guitars and you'll find him, lots of pictures...and look at his attention to detail. Says he custom-builds for what you'd pay new. And "custom" means he'll make a leftie, in a '65 width (the slimmest Mustang body), with a neck the size you ask for.

Keep us posted, will ya?

That's a great idea.

but in how far is a mustang neck smaller? let's see, the mustangs have 7.25" radius, and 1.625" (41.3 mm) width-at-nut. what do the jap jags have, 9.5" radius?

ALl jap and AVRI jaguars and jap mustangs are 7.25 24" . the jazzmasters are 7.25 25.5.

I'm unsure about the hardtail jaguars and mIMs which I dont consider real jaguars anyways so WGAS about them anyways!

I was checking out guitar shops in london and one of them on denmark st actually have a mustang and a jagstang for sale so i tried both simultaneously. Obv right handed, so upside down but whatever.

The Jagstang neck felt slimmer, thou not by much - both were slimmer than my jaguar (now sold), but the jagstang felt a little slimmer than the mustang. I'm not sure if the mustang was a 65 or 69 reissue or what, as a leftie I can only get a 69 reissue so not really delved into it.

a x

I was checking out guitar shops in london and one of them on denmark st actually have a mustang and a jagstang for sale so i tried both simultaneously. Obv right handed, so upside down but whatever.

The Jagstang neck felt slimmer, thou not by much - both were slimmer than my jaguar (now sold), but the jagstang felt a little slimmer than the mustang. I'm not sure if the mustang was a 65 or 69 reissue or what, as a leftie I can only get a 69 reissue so not really delved into it.

a x

sorry to be off topic, but have you ever thought of just learning to play right handed? i know lots of people ( and lots now professionals) who just stuck with it and got to play right handed, (michael angelo bato comes to mind) I also have a friend who is left handed but for some reason has played guitar right handed, and never thought of doing it any other way.

I thought about it when I started, and about doing a flip etc, but it's not for me. The way I see it, my left hand, aka my picking hand, is like the conductor of the orchestra and the right hand is like the players themselves.

The right hand is doing the grunt work, the moving etc, the graft, whilst the left is conducting, making it happen, leading.

It would be weird the other way round, and personally there's a pride issue - I'm a leftie and don't really want to play the other way round, it's part of 'me' to be left handed.

I'm learning electric guitar on my Mustang, about 14 months now. As I'm gettin more ambitious in my playing, I'm moving up the neck (I have the longer-scale Mustang).

And when I get way up there my fingers feel a bit cramped...the spaces between the frets seem pretty small for my medium-size fingers.

I don't have much experience with full-scale necks so I've nothin to comapre my Mustang to. I'll have to try some full-scale guitars to know if the cramped feeling high up is my axe's neck or if it's my modest skill.

For now, I'd like to hear more experienced players' thoughts.

My first guitar was an epiphone les paul copy, which is great to play but not the best sounding. The neck is really thin which is great, but I decided I wanted a shorter scale guitar as my next one and got a Japanese leftie Jag.

I loved this for a few years, more so the longer I had it (at first I thought it was weak) but the neck was too thick for my small hands so I sold it a few weeks ago, hence this post looking at a Mustang which I've tried out upside down and seemed ok, Jagstang too which seemed a little thinner but they're not easy to get in leftie heh.

I'm thinking of going with the SBL colour, which is the bright blue with dark tort. I also like the yellow with dark tort but since my Jag was white with dark tort I feel a change is in order.

I'd actually prefer a blue jag w/pearl pickguard, like the Jagstang comes in, which is also confusingly called sonic blue even thou it's a different shade, I think daphne blue. Alas as a leftie I'm very limited in choice, specifically to the 69 reissues.

There was a page on fender japan where you could see all the mustangs easily but I've forgotten the link.