Song/Band names

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading an article about an indie music festival, there were some good names. The only one I can remember at the moment is:

"They Promised Us Jet Packs"

:lol: that is an epic name

I just found them on myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/wewerepromisedjetpacks

I was wrong, it's "We Were Promised Jet Packs." I'm listening to the first song now, not really my cup of tea. Still an awesome name though, they seem like cool dudes:

"We are older than Ghostbusters II, we are younger than Ghostbusters"

• 3 months later...

thats funny feedback.

by classic definition a paper tiger is one that portrays strength and power but after all is only paper. My thought behind it lies in the fact that people will look at something and determine its make to write if off as a threat or as a weak artifact. While a paper tiger may seem like a push over due to its construction, it is still a tiger. And when the fear of it is abandoned in favor of a benevolent design it will come closer and show its teeth.

thats funny feedback.

by classic definition a paper tiger is one that portrays strength and power but after all is only paper. My thought behind it lies in the fact that people will look at something and determine its make to write if off as a threat or as a weak artifact. While a paper tiger may seem like a push over due to its construction, it is still a tiger. And when the fear of it is abandoned in favor of a benevolent design it will come closer and show its teeth.

So your thoughts on the term paper tiger are pretty much the exact opposite of the traditional definition? :-hmmm

Not really criticizing, as both ways of thinking make good sense to me.

Names of bands I've been in

Vehement - My old High School rap/nu-metal band, our singer Zach pulled it out of a dictionary, we pronounced it wrong most of the time too - va-hem-ent, instead of vee-ham-ant. English majors we were not.

Moonlight Rose, later called "No Relations" - The kinda-sorta-80's-cover-band I played in for 3-4 months of 2000 with some upper-classmen. One of the best bands I played in, shame we never gigged. I dunno where the names came from at all, I think we just picked them at ranodm.

Lithium - Hawk (Rhythm Guitar/Vocals) put this band together in Montgomery in 1998 or so, and called it such because of the chemical properties of Lithium in water, and because we were "heavy metal with a white/soft core". Of course, this lead to a lot of confusion because of multiple reasons....

1.) there were a TON of bands called Lithium around, most of which were Nirvana cover bands.

2.) some people thought we were a drug band because Lithium is also a drug used to cure bipolar disorder....however, that kind of did have some good meaning later on, but I'll stay out of that crap.

M.J. - Just my initials that I put on my demo CD's and Tapes since I started writing music in 1996. Pretty fitting since it's me playing all the instruments. It does have a bad thing in sharing initials with Michael Jackson (which he's commonly referred to as well), so I just brush it off by pretending not to know who the "other" M.J. is.

Game Genie/Project 2A03 - My soundclick video game music cover project. It initially started out of my love for the Game Genie cheat device for the NES, but Project 2A03 would be less of a copyright infringement. I call it a project because it's not that serious, and 2A03 because that's the NES's real processor number.

Ancient Tongues - Basically, the whole concept of Ancient Tongues is closer to 70's Arena Rock, think Foreigner. Pop Radio Friendly heavy rock hearkening back to those "ancient" days. Stonege came up with the Tagline for it, marketing is one of his skillsets, even though marketers can get on my sour vein once in awhile.

Smokin'' 66' - We took that from the bassist Todd's 66' Impala he had sold before I got in the band, plus our old singer Shannon was born in 66', and I bought my 66' Fender Mustang shortly after joining the band.

Deliciously Infectious - When shannon was out we decided to change the name to something else. Since various alcohol related themes were running rampant, I started messing around with a play on the name "Southern Comfort" suggesting "Northern Comfort" or "Northwestern Comfort", but ending up with Deliciously Infectious which our bassist pulled from an old beer advertisement, and allowed him to make a play on some medical themes, including the album cover idea with a lollipop with a biohazard sign on it, as well as it echos a vibe like the name Infectious Grooves. Right now 2 friends of the band are trying to talk me into changing the name to Defect.

I once had someone suggest I start up a band and call it Mike.J and the Percolators - I think I'll keep that in mind for a Coffee Shop Acoustic Rockabilly band when I'm 50.

Way way way back when I started making demo tapes I wanted to call my "future band" SCUMM Pirates or The Scum Pirates named after the SCUMM Bar in the Monkey Island computer game (the SCUMM of which is an acronym for a game creation utility called Script-Creation-Utility-(for)-Maniac-Mansion which shares an engine with Monkey Island). This was back when I wanted to make a "grunge" band and do Nirvana, Offspring, and Stone Temple Pilots covers along with my own 6th grade rantings.

M.J. is about the only place I get any amusing song names......

CS1984R - An instrumental full of Atari noises, taken from the model number on my old Mistubushi console TV I play games on occasionally.

Chased by Cathy - A song about a dream about being chased by a hot woman of girth.

GEM - Named after the brand name on the computer I used daily before my current one. An instrumental that kicks off with Hard Disk Drives going through guitar pickups and distortion.

Somewhere Between Sleep, Dream, and Death - An instrumental inspired from falling asleep with the Windows 98 Maze screensaver on and dreamining you are stuck in the screen saver (dream), only to wake up (sleep) and find you now have a case of sleep paralysis (death), which to me feels like what it's like to be dead.

Well I have been in a few bands

My first band to ever play a show

Dimension X Laser Death Squad

Then a Band me and my friends had for 7 years, but just this last year we broke up

Chernobyl Childrens Project but just went buy CxCxPX

Current band, been going thru a lot of diffrent names, so far the last three shows we played we had a diffrent name each show.

But I want to get a band together someday called

Wanktasticore and the Jizzblasters

First off in my old band CCP people would call me Wanktasticore, so thats where the first name comes from, and the Jizzblaster, Basically in this band every member with a string instrument has to play a FatDog JizzBlaster guitar from Subway guitars in Berkeley Ca. He builds these kinda danelectro/Jazzmasters/Harmonys that he calls jizzblasters :-D

One version of the Jizzblaster I like the red one

5JizBlstrMore_jpg.jpg

Second version (more Jazzmaster like)

67CustJizzmaster_jpg.jpg

Or Maybe I'll get one of them one day and just have to write a song called wanktasticore and his jizzblaster :lol: