What's the best grunge/alternative guitar sounding mustang

It depends what you want. If you want a full size humbucker like Kurt then you'll have to route the body to fit one. A Seymour Duncan JB or a DiMarzio Super Distortion would be your best bet for a humbucker. If you want a single coil then i would go with a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails. I heard that Kurt had Hot Rails in his single coil Strats.

naw i'm trying to lean away from routing the body, i've had a couple p90's pickups in the bridge position for a while, but if you guys had any suggestions or think I'm mad as a hater for wanting to put a couple p90's in feel free to stop before it happens/could happen

Rails Humbuckers are what I'd use in Mustangs if I needed a humbucker tone. It won't be as thick or full as a Humbucker as the magnetic field is not large enough, but it will sound bigger by virtue of stronger magnets and higher resistance.

Mad-Mike...I'm planning to hot rod and I want to learn a bit more about the Hotrails Humbuckers. I'm envisioning a couple possibilities...maybe a Mustang-hybrid with a full-scale neck? Or maybe a Tele hybrid.

The sound I want is strength through the spectrum, so I can get close to Tele twang, but I must have good Niel Young gain and creamy Woman Tone. If I want to do no routing, or minimal, would the Hotrails work on both of these options and do you have other top-choice options I should consider?

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
naw i'm trying to lean away from routing the body, i've had a couple p90's pickups in the bridge position for a while, but if you guys had any suggestions or think I'm mad as a hater for wanting to put a couple p90's in feel free to stop before it happens/could happen

So wait... you have a p90 in the bridge position or are considering it? Because the way you have it worded here makes you sound like its already done... And if I am not mistaken you have to rout the body out to fit a p90 in the first place? And if so wouldn't it be easy to fit a hb in the p90 rout?