feedbackismyfriend

Jaguar Vs. Jazzmaster Vs. Mustang

They are all good, it just depends on what you want out of a guitar... it depends on the situation far to much.

but they are all worth it.

I've been playing a Mustang for 14 months. Just played a Jazzmaster for the first time this week, and have never played a Jaguar. The difference I noticed right away between the Mustang and Jazzy was the necks.

The Mustang neck is lean and perhaps "faster" for small to medium hand sizes, but finger placement can get a bit tight up near the body. The Jazzy neck felt wider and longer with more room for easier fingering close to the body. Probably the Jazzy is better in general for larger hands.

I love my Mustang's playability, range of tones, light weight, and sexy shape. I prefer a smaller guitar yet I could get used to the Jazzy or Jag. But which is better? That's gotta be a personal call.

I have never played a Jaguar.

Jazzmasters I have played and liked, and I have played a Mustang which I did not like.

Given the Mustangs I have seen around are about 50% cheaper than a Jazzy or Jag, it's hard to go past that.

For my personal taste, I just didn't like the stang. I didn't find the neck 'lean' at all. The neck on my tele is lean, the stang neck was chubby. Also, it had frets too close together, weak bridge pickup, useless vibrato (for me) with a bar that had a bad habit of falling out (talk about a basic design flaw).

Jagmasters have too much dicky circuitry that I would simply never use, although they are great-sounding guitars.

If I had to choose one, I would choose a Jazzy, but the value the Mustang offers makes it a very tempting option. They just are NOT the guitar for me. I would probably argue that the Jag is the most 'premium' of the three, but the Stang offers the best value. But I would choose neither. So the real answer... it's all about personal taste.

None of them are really worth the money......

Fender has given stupid high prices to these guitars. Example: (Mustang = $830,- CIJ black HH Jaguar = $800,- and a MIM Jazzmaster also = $800,-) Not to mention that a J. Masscis Jazzy is also a MIJ guitar and they are like: $1120,- :roll:

Sometimes i hate myself for likeing these kind of guitars...... :oops:

In my opinon these prices would be better: (based on profit that they want to make, otherwise they would be even less expensive)

Reissue Mustang = $650,- instead of $830,-

CIJ Black HH Jaguar = $650,- instead of $800,- (since the pickups are quite crappy)

MIM Jazzmaster = $650,- instead of $800,-

J. Mascis Sign. Jazzmaster = $950,- instead of $1120,-

Talking about whitch of eighter the: ''Mustang, Jaguar, or the Jazzmaster is the best.''

Then my vote has to go to eighter a stock Mustang, or a stock Jazzmaster. Because the stock Jaguar pickups are not really my cup of tea. (they sound too thin in my opinion)

Add 2 Humbuckers + coil tap splitting on a Jag. (CP MIM) And the Jaguar is back in the game. :-D

I never really tried a Jazzmaster before, but judging from the music that i play (Post/Grunge, Classic Rock, Nu-Metal, Hard Rock) i would say that my choise would be the HH coil splitting Jaguar. Because of the tone options and the feeling of the body. Cuz routing up a Jazzy for a Seymour Duncan/DiMarzio humbucker is just stupid in my opinion. :roll:

To me they are all good guitars, thats why I have all three.

What I use em' for...

Jazzmaster - Killer neck pickup, lots of tonal variety with the master volume (it's like an SG and a Telecaster in one guitar). However, when I built mine, I did make some changes, like I preferred a hotter bridge pickup than usual (8.8 Kilo-ohm), and wanted 22 Frets instead of 21 for a little help in the bending up to E or higher category.

Jaguar - The Jaguar is probably the only guitar I would feel comfortable buying off the rack just before a gig and playing it right after in a live situation. The Jaguar always sounded a bit like a P-90 Les Paul to me, since with the volume in the right position (on mine it's full up because I still have those 500K pots in there, but my Jazzmaster and a classic player Jaguar is inspiring me to go the stock 1 meg route before too long). Despite the oddball switching for the pickups (which I'm quite used to, I've figured out ways to quickly snap my fingers over the switches to change to whatever combo I want). Also, it seems to me, like the Jag-Stang, all the curves and countours are in exactly the right place, same with the Jazzmaster, those three I can sit around and play for hours and never feel tired.

Mustang - I really find the Mustang brings out a very weird use of pickup selection that I never thought about. At first I picked it up to replace the Explorer copy I built as the "out of phase" guitar as the Explorer had EMG pickups installed and could no longer do the whole "out of phase" sound anymore. I typically spend most of my time on most guitars playing bridge pickup only with the knobs wide open at 10+, but with the Mustang I'm finding the Out of Phase sound is PERFECT for crunchy rhythms with high gain, and has a really nifty music box quality to it when clean. Also, my Stang has been an experiment in using a ONE SPRING Dynamic vibrato for awhile (I took the other out because the bass-side post is seized), the stuff I can do on one spring surprises a lot of the locking trem users I've met. People say a Kahler's smooth, but to me, the Dynamic Vibrato with one spring beats em' in smoothness.

However, my Jag-Stang remains the #1 in my collection for several reasons. The first is the sentimentality, that was the first Fender, second offset, and probably the best guitar I've ever had. Much of my sentiment is similar to SRV's towards his 59'/63' "#1" Strat. In 10 years that guitar has only gone down ONCE, the only one that beats it is the Jaguar I've had half as long. Then there's the switching scheme I've perfected and gotten so used to it's 2nd nature, and that guitar has the 2 spring Dynamic vibrato that acts like a quasi-trans-trem. Despite the mods, the base instrument was amazing from the get go, I can STILL, despite having GROOVES in my frets, crank the action all the way to the fretboard and still play chords with minimal to no buzzing, and that amazes me because by appearance it seems I need a fret job, but nope, sill plays like the first day. Plus that neck is my favorite neck profile, if I ever had the money, I'd get some copies made for future Jags and Stangs. Since the tuner replacement the only achilles heel that guitar has ever had is gone, I've not had to tune it but once or twice in the last month.

Jazzmasters I have played and liked, and I have played a Mustang which I did not like.

Given the Mustangs I have seen around are about 50% cheaper than a Jazzy or Jag, it's hard to go past that.

For my personal taste, I just didn't like the stang. I didn't find the neck 'lean' at all. The neck on my tele is lean, the stang neck was chubby. Also, it had frets too close together, weak bridge pickup, useless vibrato (for me) with a bar that had a bad habit of falling out (talk about a basic design flaw).

Jagmasters have too much dicky circuitry that I would simply never use, although they are great-sounding guitars.

If I had to choose one, I would choose a Jazzy, but the value the Mustang offers makes it a very tempting option. They just are NOT the guitar for me. I would probably argue that the Jag is the most 'premium' of the three, but the Stang offers the best value. But I would choose neither. So the real answer... it's all about personal taste.

Hero, Robb and all,

I should have been clear. The Mustang I was playin was an old one. Maybe the necks varied back then, but mine is definitley slim. And maybe the Reissue Mustangs have chunkier necks. I suspect the neck sizes vary depending what year Mustang you're playin.

Initially the Mustang was a 'student model', like the LP Junior in the Gibson range. The Jaguar was meant to be the new Fender flagship model as Strats and Tele's were becoming unpopular but it never took off.

Having owned all three and plenty of other guitars from lots of different brands i'd say the Jazzmaster is the best 'all-rounder'. The 25.5 scale, slightly warmer pickups and fair size body make it the easiest to get on with i think.

The Jaguar is my personal favorite but it is prone to feedback and the short scale is'nt for everyone.

The Mustang is the most comfortable and easiest player, but again, the 24" neck is'nt for everyone and some people think it feels small and toy-like.

Its down to personal choice and aesthetics here. But im confident your average guitar player would choose a Jazzy in a shoot-out in most cases.

Hero, Robb and all,

I should have been clear. The Mustang I was playin was an old one. Maybe the necks varied back then, but mine is definitley slim. And maybe the Reissue Mustangs have chunkier necks. I suspect the neck sizes vary depending what year Mustang you're playin.

Ahh, yup, the one I played was an RI. I don't remeber if it was a '65 or a '69, but it was the custard-coloured one. If vintage Mustangs have slimmer necks, I would definitely be willing to give it another try and reconsider my opinion.

"Worth" is subjective.

To me, all three of these guitars are worth the money, they and the rickenbacker 425 are the only guitars I like. I wont play anything else. :mrgreen:

"Worth" is subjective.

To me, all three of these guitars are worth the money, they and the rickenbacker 425 are the only guitars I like. I wont play anything else. :mrgreen:

I can only imagine the amount of wonderful instruments you must be missing out on because you will not allow yourself to play them :lol:

for me I love my Mustangs but my Jaguar beats them all around in terms of feel and sound.

However I havent ever played a Jazzmaster so I really can't judge the model however on the Jaguar and Mustang section I can talk a little bit.

My Jaguar is way better than any of my three Mustangs even my Vintage Mustang cant match up to my Jaguar, its close but not there. The Jaguar has the right tone and a neck that I love so much! Granted my Jaguars tone has been drastically altered by the new bridge and pups and electrical setup etc, but I wouldn't have it any other way its an all around badass guitar I agree with Mike that I would never hesitate to just grab it and go if something happened with my other gear. I know shes solid and reliable and can deliver a ballsy sound when I need it but throw it on the neck and I have a sweet singing clean tone!

My Mustangs are different they have a big sentimental meaning to me I love how they look and feel and I wouldn't ever sell any of my three I sold one of them only to buy it back later :lol: however in the tone department its always been a losing battle for me. They have a clean tone that I love and the pickup selectors are really great for playing around with, however sometimes I just cant get a handle on getting "my sound" to come out of them. My vintage Mustang is the best of all the three obviously but even with that I have changed out the bridge pickup to a JB Jr (it had a vintage 76' strat pickup in the bridge). There still great guitars but I use them more for specific things then just all around general playing they give me more a fight when I play them but I like that. It's like Jimmy Page said your instrument should always kind of fight back! Because if its to easy to play you get to comfortable in old habits and never try anything new.

However Jags and Stangs are both really great instruments and I love all of mine to death I couldn't imagine parting with any of them, theirs been times when I wanted new gear and thought about selling my stangs and jags but I quickly realize new amps or pedals wouldn't be as fun without great guitars that I really love to use with them! All in all jags and stangs and jazzys all kick ass and if they play good and they make your music come out then they are worth it because at the end of the day thats what matters most that your guitar can give you enjoyment!

Oh btw Robbo I dunno if you know this but you can lock Mustang trems in theirs a small Allen lock on the side of the tremolo where the bar goes in you simply tighten that and your tremolo will stay on no matter what your doing.

I was playing one at a music store, and the guy there did say that was the case, but he didn't have the right size tool to tighten it.

It was mainly a problem because I was constantly leaning forward to muck around with my amp settings :D

Is there any reason they (ie Fender) didn't just make it a screw-in?

Mustang - I really find the Mustang brings out a very weird use of pickup selection that I never thought about...I typically spend most of my time on most guitars playing bridge pickup only with the knobs wide open at 10+, but with the Mustang I'm finding the Out of Phase sound is PERFECT for crunchy rhythms with high gain, and has a really nifty music box quality to it when clean.

Yess, the tones a Mustang can produce are unique in my limited experience. I just tried Mad-Mike's settings and wow, very cool. I played some Led Zeppelin with the pups out-of-phase, tone off, volume all the way up; Fender Frontman gain 8, bass 10, treble 10. It sounded thick and a bit metalic, very nice, especially for early Zep :-cool .

I've played all 3 but at the prices they are at don't think they are worth it.

The guitarist in an my last band had a mustang and it was the biggest heap of garbage i'd ever played.

The Jaguar seems a tad elaborate to me.

They are great guitars but i would'nt get one new.

The Mascis Jazzy looks revolting imo.

Jagmasters, IMO, are the best of all worlds. The strat whammy bar is much better at staying in tune, and it's easier to find new parts. One downside, the stock bridge pup is terrible so I replaced it.

Jagmasters, IMO, are the best of all worlds. The strat whammy bar is much better at staying in tune, and it's easier to find new parts. One downside, the stock bridge pup is terrible so I replaced it.

I did the same. I replaced mine with a bridge pickup from a Squier Tele Custom. What did you replace yours with?

And welcome to the forum.

i hate the jazz master , but you cant go wrong with a jaguar and mustang are okay.

Maybe your name should be Jaguar222 then.

Jazzmasters FTW!

Though I love all three, the Jazzmaster just has a fatter sound.

The Mascis Jazzy looks revolting imo.

Used to agree with ya when they just hit the shelves at a REASONABLE PRICE. But as time went on and I saw one at a shop and played one. I loved the purple, even with the anodized guard.

The Jaguar may look elaborate, but is much more simple than it looks. 3 switches that don't really do much more than turning on and off pickups. Much like the toggle switch of the JM.

Welcome to the forum. Never had a problem w/ the Jag/Jazzy tremolo keeping the strings in tune. The 'stang's vibrato unit on the other hand took very little work to get it to play w/out detuning, either stationary or after use.