Robbmonster

Esquire Project...

I'm getting a Squier Standard Fat Tele soon, and I am hoping this will free up my current Affinity Tele to be used as a project. It's my CAR 2009 with a 2001 Affinity neck.

DSC00184.jpg

The plan is to remove the neck pickup, get a new pickguard made, Esquire style, replace all of the electronics (although I may keep the bridge pickup, because I really like it), and rig up the Esquire switching options.

So, a few points and questions...

The pickguard I plan on getting done by PickGuardian. Has anyone used them and has an opinion, advice to go for it or avoid them? For the colour, I was thinking of the aged pearloid, but again, I am willing to listen to creative suggestions. GuitarFetish has some good-looking Esquire guards, but with my last Affinity I tried several times to replace the pickguard and none of the ones I bought came even close to fitting, and I bought about 5 replacements over the journey. It might be more painless to simply get one custom made. The luthier I regularly use doesn't make pickguards anymore, and the only other place I know that does them took about 5 months to do a basic setup on my 51, so I'm forgetting them.

Another issue is the bridge. The bridge on the Affinity really is one of its weaknesses. It's prone to loose saddle-height screws that vibrate and has that HORRIBLE string-through-the-rear-of-the-unit setup that is a nightmare to work with. The problem in buying an aftermarket bridge is that I simply don't know if it's made to american or asian specs. I would prefer to get one with dimensions that match the one I already have.

I will be going for a classic Esquire switching setup.

I will point out that this project is probably a few months away from even beginning, but I want to do it properly and gather as much information as far in advance as I can.

I'm getting a Squier Standard Fat Tele soon, and I am hoping this will free up my current Affinity Tele to be used as a project. It's my CAR 2009 with a 2001 Affinity neck.

DSC00184.jpg

The plan is to remove the neck pickup, get a new pickguard made, Esquire style, replace all of the electronics (although I may keep the bridge pickup, because I really like it), and rig up the Esquire switching options.

So, a few points and questions...

The pickguard I plan on getting done by PickGuardian. Has anyone used them and has an opinion, advice to go for it or avoid them? For the colour, I was thinking of the aged pearloid, but again, I am willing to listen to creative suggestions. GuitarFetish has some good-looking Esquire guards, but with my last Affinity I tried several times to replace the pickguard and none of the ones I bought came even close to fitting, and I bought about 5 replacements over the journey. It might be more painless to simply get one custom made. The luthier I regularly use doesn't make pickguards anymore, and the only other place I know that does them took about 5 months to do a basic setup on my 51, so I'm forgetting them.

Another issue is the bridge. The bridge on the Affinity really is one of its weaknesses. It's prone to loose saddle-height screws that vibrate and has that HORRIBLE string-through-the-rear-of-the-unit setup that is a nightmare to work with. The problem in buying an aftermarket bridge is that I simply don't know if it's made to american or asian specs. I would prefer to get one with dimensions that match the one I already have.

I will be going for a classic Esquire switching setup.

I will point out that this project is probably a few months away from even beginning, but I want to do it properly and gather as much information as far in advance as I can.

Dude... NO ONE CARES!!!

Ok, me, thanks for the wakeup call...

Dude... NO ONE CARES!!!

I wouldn't sweat it too much mate. How d'you think I felt when I posted about my proposed trip to New Orleans asking for support and no-one responded? It's just people for you...

Dude... NO ONE CARES!!!

I wouldn't sweat it too much mate. How d'you think I felt when I posted about my proposed trip to New Orleans asking for support and no-one responded? It's just people for you...

Nah, I'm not too worried about it.

I was saying about a month ago that I thought the thread had been dead lately, and everyone came back and said that the opposite was true, and that it was the busiest it had been in years. I still stand by my own opinion on the matter :-)

I didn't even know you were going to New Orleans. Maybe I am out of touch. But then again, I rarely venture into the 'off-topic' threads...

I actually joined the telecaster forum and have been posting there about this project. Lots of info there, but the volume of traffic is enormous. I like it here much better. I know some people here, and this is the best LOOKING forum I've ever seen.

Hmm. Fair enough.

Yeah, I posted about it a few weeks ago, going over there to help build houses for a couple of weeks. My post was to generate support and potentially donations but no-one seemed to care so I just figured "#### you all then" and am continuing to solicit for support elsewhere.

Hmm. Fair enough.

Yeah, I posted about it a few weeks ago, going over there to help build houses for a couple of weeks. My post was to generate support and potentially donations but no-one seemed to care so I just figured "#### you all then" and am continuing to solicit for support elsewhere.

I imagine it would be hard to find financial support here. Most of the people here seem to sink their spare income into guitar-related stuff. I know I'm guilty of that to a point, but my spare income is miniscule.

Very noble of you to go over there to do that. Is it something you are doing through an organization?

I've applied with Common Ground Relief, who are pretty much spearheading the rebuilding and mobile hospital efforts there. Still yet to hear back from them though. My life's been a bit of a shambles recently and I decided that doing something altruistic would be a good way to bring some order back into it, basically.

I have to say, I like this project, Jason. I for one do care :wink:

I did see it last night but didn't post cause it was late and I was tired. Not a good combination for me :P

I did see it last night but didn't post cause it was late and I was tired. Not a good combination for me :P

+1

I would have responded, but it's not like you asked a question or posted any progress pics. All I really could have said was "Sounds good..."

That being said, it sounds like a good project, we just need a little more to go on here :-) .

+1

I would have responded, but it's not like you asked a question or posted any progress pics. All I really could have said was "Sounds good..."

That being said, it sounds like a good project, we just need a little more to go on here :-) .

I DID ask if anyone has used PickGuardian ;)

There was also an impled question about the bridge. I was going to ask questions about the electronics, but decided to wait for another day.

But don't mind, me, I've just been feeling a bit defensive lately :-D

But don't mind, me, I've just been feeling a bit defensive lately :-D

PMS will do that to you. Believe me. Apparently our schedules are in sync :lol: .

(BTW: not a woman, in case anyone has any doubts)

thanks for clarifying that, I ttly had doubts

It's because of my subtle wit and universal sex appeal :lol: .

I think you should probably put a bigsby on it.

It has definitely crossed my mind, but I rarely even use the vibrato bar, so it would be a white elephant for me, even if it would look totally cool :)

Also, I have decided to go with the Fender 0053676000 as my pickup. It's OEM in the 69 Thinline Tele reissue. They can be found cheap :-)

Good choice. They sound real nice, from my experience :) .

Personally, I'm more partial to lipstick-tube units when it comes to single-coil pickups, but I like that you're going for a modicum of authenticity :lol: .

Good choice. They sound real nice, from my experience :) .

Personally, I'm more partial to lipstick-tube units when it comes to single-coil pickups, but I like that you're going for a modicum of authenticity :lol: .

There's a bit of the story behind the pickup choice...

I have been over on the telecaster.com forums asking about GFS pickups, and the opinions and experiences are so varied, I decided not to take a chance on them. People were suggesting the usual suspects (SD, Bill Lawrence, Tonerider, Lindy Fralin), but I'm trying to stike a balance between price and quality, so I decided genuine Fender would be the way to go.

I have rarely seen an issue so divisive as the topic of GFS pickups.

I bought my pickup, deciding on a bridge pickup from an AV 62 Custom Telecaster RI.

HC reviews led me to believe the pickup offers twang and great balance between high/mid/low, which suits me fairly well.

I paid about USD$40 off ebay, so I hope it turns out to be a good deal. waiting for it to be delivered now :)

nice project you got coming along there robbomonster :)

im also gonna get a pickguard from pickguardian for my jagmaster but im still debating the color

Is you Jagmaster black or 'burst?

If it's black, I say go for the aged pearl.

If it's burst... I STILL say go for the aged pearl :-D

Good thing is that they have options, and the prices are ok. Although the prices might start seeming less reasonable when I start thinking about 2 lots of shipping costs...

This project of mine is gonna be a bit of a slow burn. Money is tight, so everything will be getting done gradually.