I'm about to order a new set of Humbuckers for my little duo sonic guitar. It has become my number 1 guitar for gigs and as such deserves a new pickguard and pups.

I'd like something with a good range of sound between the two pups. I'm looking at a set by SD with a Jazz neck and JB bridge but i'm not sure the JB is what I'm really after. I need good bottom end but well balanced thru out. Budget it right around $200 but I don't have to spend it all on that (local craigslist here in seattle is always calling my name with amazing deals). I'd buy used if anyone has anything sitting around they want to sell. I'm not looking to take a big risk so mostly just want experience opinions here.

As far as sound. I play in a cover/original band that goes from blues to moderately heavy modern rock (ie foo fighters, kings of leon, thrice) every once in awhile we'll throw in a heavier song or two. I don't need anything super clean but still articulate (does that make sense?).

I play thru a Peavey Delta Blues (30 Watt all tube amp that is the best working mans amp out there in my humble opinion, and I've owned alot of amps) with a host drive pedals for most of my dirt.

Any opinions would be great!

The jazz is a good choice for the neck. As far as the bridge goes my 2 favs are the SH-5 Custom and the SH-11 Custom Custom. The SH-14 Custom 5 would be another way to go also, I havent tried the SH-14 but have heard good things about it. They are all similar pickups but with different magnets.

If Foo Fighters is the heaviest you go, I know Dave Grohl uses Rio Grande Texas BBQ humbuckers, which are basically hot PAF-type humbuckers. So, I'd get something along those lines.

fender vintage wide range.

Can true vintage wide range hbs even b gotten for anywhere near $200??!? I'm not sure if Ive seen the new ones go for that cheap?

I have thought about it tho, I loved my Tele w/ them & I'm running into a weird problem. All the reviews I read on SD hbs are all installed on LPs so I'm not sure how the.tone will change going into a fender pickguard type guitar.

Can true vintage wide range hbs even b gotten for anywhere near $200??!? I'm not sure if Ive seen the new ones go for that cheap?

ahaha yeah! but it's the only humbucker i like :)

I have thought about it tho, I loved my Tele w/ them & I'm running into a weird problem. All the reviews I read on SD hbs are all installed on LPs so I'm not sure how the.tone will change going into a fender pickguard type guitar.

"Wide-range" humbuckers are just split pickups. Seriously, the pickups from any Precision or Mustang bass could give you the same sound...

so after much much much MUCH MUCH thought and hours of going to shops/searching online I've come to a conclusion........

I'm just going to buy a SD lil 59 and put it in the neck and keep the hot rails in the bridge cause I actually love the sound of it. This leaves me more money for pedals :-D:-D:-D:lol:

so after much much much MUCH MUCH thought and hours of going to shops/searching online I've come to a conclusion........

I'm just going to buy a SD lil 59 and put it in the neck and keep the hot rails in the bridge cause I actually love the sound of it. This leaves me more money for pedals :-D:-D:-D:lol:

+1

Teh Omarzzz would be proud. :D