What do you think of the Jagmaster?

Thanks Doug! I really like the way the tort on orange came out myself...So it's nice to see I wasn't the only one who thought so. The gold guard came with what became the Orange body...it actually has a route for a Jaguar control plate underneath the pickguard, but when I decided to put the tort guard on the Orangemaster I was left with the gold guard that been trimmed to accomodate the jag control plate that never came to be...not sure where the original owner got it from, but I can ask for sure.

I'm actually starting a tenure with a band as their bass player for awhile, so most of my guitar projects are going to go on hold while I beef up my rig/buy a backup bass...though I'm thinking I'll just complete the Squier P-bass project I started for now...that's as a good backup as any...my primary bass is my American Deluxe Jazz...so anything will likely fail in comparison anyway. LOL

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually a bass player by trade. Over the years I've learned enough of the guitar to "get by" but primarily I've played bass for going on 16 years now. I played bass with a band for about 10 years, we had some minor success opening for some cool bands, playing some bigger club venues, and we have like 3 albums worth of stuff on iTunes; so I'd say that 10 years being in a steady-gigging rock band taught me enough musical theory/experience to be able to play a guitar much better than I could before I joined that band.

I'm playing bass with one of the guys that was in that first band, so it's kind of like coming home...which is real nice. It's pretty much a straight-ahead rock band...hard to describe, but kind of "Foo"-y...if that makes sense LOL.

• 1 month later...

i had a JM, i could not get along with it. the pups are a dull and the neck feels like a squier (cheap) maybe that's just me being a Tool (or maybe i just got a bad one) but when ever i went to play it i just played the 'stang instead.

but then again it was only $200!

S6300735.jpg

i had a JM, i could not get along with it. the pups are a dull and the neck feels like a squier (cheap) maybe that's just me being a Tool (or maybe i just got a bad one) but when ever i went to play it i just played the 'stang instead.

but then again it was only $200!

S6300735.jpg

Loved your Jaggy Luke. I wish you had hung on to it and bonded with it. The neck on mine is one of its best features, so maybe you did get a bad one.

As for the pickups, I understand why you would think they are dull. I found the same thing, but I embraced the dullness (on the neck pup, at least) and now get a lot of use out of it, mainly for jazzy stuff, high gain, and mellow blues.

Cheers! i do miss it a little, but i love the TBD i got for it even more (i think i like collecting pedals more than guitars).

mine was also a little to worn in the back of the neck almost all of the finish was gone (but i still think i got a dud anyway). I did like the neck pup but i hate most humbuckers, so as good value as they are they just did not suit my sound.

i liked how it would have looked with a pup change, but stock it was a little dodgy. but if i had put some wide range humbucks it would have been a killer guitar at a Great price.

thats the thing with the jagmaster it might not be a better guitar than a jag, but it's way better value IF! you get a good one. try before you buy! .

• 4 weeks later...
This thread has given me lots of good information as I decide whether to buy a Jagmaster now or wait till I can justify a Jazzmaster.

Thanks, guys!

so are you going to get a jazzy or what?

As I planned to get my godson a new guitar, I did my homework and decided to get him a Jagmaster. Then a vintage (c. 1988) Samick with Floyd Rose locking trem and Seymour Duncans crossed my path and that's what I got him.

So now it's just me...do I want to buy a Jagmaster now or a Jazzy down the road when I've saved more money? I'll get the Jazzmaster.

I just picked up a very slightly played, used Jagmaster for $140 -and it's a pretty decent guitar - nice neck (although the factory went a bit heavy on the lacquer) - and the "duncan-designed" pups are a bit muddy at volume - but VERY sweet looking and playing - there are a couple of mods I think I'd like to make and would like some feedback ( I hope that is alright - I'm a newbie here - and don't know how uptight y'all are concerning "proper" threads and such ) - anyhoo - I'm looking at replacing the factory pups with the Seymour Duncan Hot Rod Humbucker set (JB Bridge/ Jazz neck ) - and replacing the PU switch with a knob to have more variable tone selection (and...is this possible? what are the potential probs you can foresee? ) - I've read where others say to just scrap the stock pots and caps - and this is a pretty much what I had in mind - I have an older GAS-afflicted tech-head bro who will do all the work - just wanted to run my idea past somebody who is familiar with the Jagmaster.THANKS! - of course, I'm sure that down the line there are other mods I will want to make - but I'm more concerned with the playability/versatility at the moment - and she IS REAL clean and purty just the way she IS!

I just picked up a very slightly played, used Jagmaster for $140 -and it's a pretty decent guitar - nice neck (although the factory went a bit heavy on the lacquer) - and the "duncan-designed" pups are a bit muddy at volume - but VERY sweet looking and playing - there are a couple of mods I think I'd like to make and would like some feedback ( I hope that is alright - I'm a newbie here - and don't know how uptight y'all are concerning "proper" threads and such ) - anyhoo - I'm looking at replacing the factory pups with the Seymour Duncan Hot Rod Humbucker set (JB Bridge/ Jazz neck ) - and replacing the PU switch with a knob to have more variable tone selection (and...is this possible? what are the potential probs you can foresee? ) - I've read where others say to just scrap the stock pots and caps - and this is a pretty much what I had in mind - I have an older GAS-afflicted tech-head bro who will do all the work - just wanted to run my idea past somebody who is familiar with the Jagmaster.THANKS! - of course, I'm sure that down the line there are other mods I will want to make - but I'm more concerned with the playability/versatility at the moment - and she IS REAL clean and purty just the way she IS!

sounds pretty doable to me all you'd really need would be the rotary switch and the pickups assuming I undertood you correctly. What extra functions are you planning on using the roTaryn switch for? Phasing, coil splits, other stuff?

What extra functions are you planning on using the roTaryn switch for? Phasing, coil splits, other stuff?

y'know....I really hadn't thought that far ahead! LOL! (what COULD I use it for?)- (I'm mainly a jazz trumpet player) - at the tender age of 47 I'm just gettin' my Rockstar on with guitar - SO.... just thought that the straight 3 way PU switch (- one or the other or both) - was pretty limiting to the tonal possibilities - AND by "mixing" both pickups with a knob/pot (sorta like a pan?) -( top dead center = both pups equal) you could get a more variable sound ( and more than a 5 way switch) - I don't know the correct guitar/audio terminology for this -anyway, I thought the SDs were pretty vers - the JB was rockin' - the jazz was sweet and clean - I also heard some "Hottie" humbuckers that were pretty nice (hottie=neck Bettie=bridge) here in my hometown of Portland Or - and am considering those as well - not sure if they are as diverse for as many stylistic apps as the SDs - have you heard anyone playing on those? (or using them in a Jagmaster?)

What extra functions are you planning on using the roTaryn switch for? Phasing, coil splits, other stuff?

y'know....I really hadn't thought that far ahead! LOL! (what COULD I use it for?)- (I'm mainly a jazz trumpet player) - at the tender age of 47 I'm just gettin' my Rockstar on with guitar - SO.... just thought that the straight 3 way PU switch (- one or the other or both) - was pretty limiting to the tonal possibilities - AND by "mixing" both pickups with a knob/pot (sorta like a pan?) -( top dead center = both pups equal) you could get a more variable sound ( and more than a 5 way switch) - I don't know the correct guitar/audio terminology for this -anyway, I thought the SDs were pretty vers - the JB was rockin' - the jazz was sweet and clean - I also heard some "Hottie" humbuckers that were pretty nice (hottie=neck Bettie=bridge) here in my hometown of Portland Or - and am considering those as well - not sure if they are as diverse for as many stylistic apps as the SDs - have you heard anyone playing on those? (or using them in a Jagmaster?)

Oh so you're looking to add a blend knob. I thought you meant a rotary switch, my bad.

I think he meant a blend knob AND a rotary switch... not sure :-)

Anyways...

I installed a rotary switch on my Jagmaster (a 3-way switch servicing 3 pickups), and I find it perfect. I found the original toggle switch would sometimes flick up from bridge position to in-between position if I decided to thump my hand against the guitar (which I often do to fill empty beats when soloing... economy and space all the way for me). I just didnt trust the toggle, but have had no problems with the rotary switch.

Also, installing a blender is a very cool idea. Personally, I'm surprised that more people don't have them because it's something I would think a lot of people could find a lot of use for. I know I would.

Keep us up do date :)

there wouldn't be much point to having a rotary switch and a blend knob I dun think. Well unless you're using the rotary switch to control like coil splitting and stuff, but wouldn't wiring that up get kinda funky, I'd think you'd prolly have to ditch the rotary switch idea and go with sliders or mini-switches to do that and still have everything be fully functional and for that you'd need a new pickguard and stuff. I mean I dunno for certain as I'm no expert, but it just seems like it wouldn't work. Besides that I think he meant more along the lines of putting a blend knob where the toggle is now and using the existing controls as a master volume and master tone as they were originally intended.

exactly! - a blend knob in place of the switch - also, heard back from the local distributer for hottie pups - "guitarCRAZY" wants $10 MORE a pickup than they are listed on THEIR (hottie) site! guess I'm going with the SD pups....will post a pic when I actually DO something to my JM besides plug it in and rock out! (and IF I can figure out HOW to post a pic on here!) - :-jumpy