How to play a Jazzy properly..

Of course he is'nt.

Jazzy's and Jags are'nt for Shred, they are for Surf Bands, that's what Fender had in mind right? All these guys that hate video's like these must be purists, in Surf bands. Or maybe they are doing their own thing with the instrument? Like this guy in the video.

Like that dude that ruined the Stratocaster, playing it how it was never meant to be played. What was his name again?... Oh, Jimi Hendrix.

Its an image thing a lot of the time int it?

Play in a metal band and you gotta have a 'metal' guitar.

I think it shows your limitations, not as a guitarist, but as an individual if you can't play what you want on whatever guitar you want just cos it does'nt fit the scene.

When i get my blues band together i'm gonna use a BC Rich Warlock. :lol:

Of course he is'nt.

Jazzy's and Jags are'nt for Shred, they are for Surf Bands, that's what Fender had in mind right? All these guys that hate video's like these must be purists, in Surf bands. Or maybe they are doing their own thing with the instrument? Like this guy in the video.

Like that dude that ruined the Stratocaster, playing it how it was never meant to be played. What was his name again?... Oh, Jimi Hendrix.

i really liked it, in fact i was blown away! i only like 2 "shredders" Heavy Dev And Paul Gilbert.

i play shoegaze and post-rock with my jazzy... its hardly surf is it Fran?

This is it dude. The amount of times i've seen people post something negative about a video like this yet they play in an Alt. Rock band or Indie with their Offsets. Its the same difference to me.

I got quite a few people on Youtube posting stuff about videos like "the Jaguar is a Surf Guitar" or "you have ruined a beautiful instrument, i play in a Surf band"... etc. :roll:

N-O-M-A does indeed kill. That guy has skills I wish I had, but I don't play his style of metal enough to really hone myself to being able to do what he does since I'm more of an 80's guy in more recent years.

There's quite a few of us on there now, I remember when It seemed like I was most likely the only one on there (I started my channel in early 06), every other damned day "You can't use an indie guitar to play butt rock! (Indie Kid)" "you can't play this kind of music on a piece of #### like that (hair metal guy)" "Uh, the Jaguar was designed for SURF! (Surfer guy)". "You're disgracing and disrespecting Kurt by playing that Butt Rock ####e on HIS guitar! (tHe Kuttz Kiddie)", occasionally I'd find some jackass on some forum somewhere talking smack.....then I'd get in a fight with him, usually indie/blogster/scenester kiddies. Or then there was that german guy who played in a surf band and insisted that I stop (shakes head).

The whole point to me is it's not the guitar, it's the player.

i play shoegaze and post-rock with my jazzy... its hardly surf is it Fran?

This is it dude. The amount of times i've seen people post something negative about a video like this yet they play in an Alt. Rock band or Indie with their Offsets. Its the same difference to me.

I got quite a few people on Youtube posting stuff about videos like "the Jaguar is a Surf Guitar" or "you have ruined a beautiful instrument, i play in a Surf band"... etc. :roll:

no need to pop a shot at me then o_O . . . shred is techinically skilled but just because i don't really enjoy it doesnt mean that i loathe it.

be calmmmm

I've seen that guy before.

Personally, while I'm totally not against shredding up offsets, I feel playing guitars with less frets, less upper fret access, smaller radius necks and more controls than I'll ever need is like racing a Mk2 Jag instead of a pagani zonda. I prefer 'metal' guitars because they seem to play better, and if they all come with pointy shapes, that that's fine with me. That's why the jagson existed - I was in a transition period at the time.

I've seen that guy before.

Personally, while I'm totally not against shredding up offsets, I feel playing guitars with less frets, less upper fret access, smaller radius necks and more controls than I'll ever need is like racing a Mk2 Jag instead of a pagani zonda. I prefer 'metal' guitars because they seem to play better, and if they all come with pointy shapes, that that's fine with me. That's why the jagson existed - I was in a transition period at the time.

I know where your coming from, i've owned my fair share of Charvel, Jackson, BC and Ibanez. I think what happens is you get into a certain type of guitar for various reasons and some people dont really have a main style of playing.

We know certain guitars do certain things better than others but most players cant afford one guitar for every genre they are gonna play.

if someone asks you to lay down a Rockabilly track for them what you gonna do.. go and buy a Gretsch or mess about with your EQ and use the Floyd rose subtley? The Rockabilly community would probably say "Hey, look at that twat with his Metal guitar trying to be Brian Setzer" :lol:

To me, I play these guitars for a multitude of reasons.....

1.) I like em', and that should be the only "excuse" or "reason" or "justification" I need. Why do I like them? They're comfortable sitting or standing, they're very loud, they have tonal properties unobtainable by anything else due to the design. I laugh at how people talk about these guitars like they are delicate snowflakes when the real snowflake from my experience are those tempermental high maintenance Floyd Rose guitars that need new pivots/trem system every 10 years, while my Jag-Stang still kicks butt 10 years later, even WITH worn pivots. I'll take the trem that lasts the longest thank you very much. My OFR has pretty much died, but my Jag-Stang is still in the "Brad Gillis" category as far as the trem goes.

2.) Nobody else uses them, Dime used a Dean ML, Vai/Satch/Dragonforce/Reb Beach all play Ibanez, Page/Beck/Clapton/Sykes/and countless others use Les Pauls, Yngwie/Blackmore/Hendrix/Vai/Lifeson used stratocasters. Name me one "Dino" or "Shredder" or "heavy" guitarist who uses a Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Mustang, or Jag-Stang. The mainstream accepted cult of personality around these guitarist is either surf, new wave, punk, indie, or grunge, which is kind of sad because in the right hands they are capable of a LOT more than that, plus some in the alt/punk genre give me a hard time, so I like giving them a hard time by playing the guitars THEY don't like seeing play that kind of music, I kind of get a kick out of that. Nothing like seeing a pretentious indie kid go on a hissyfit because he just saw a Jazzmaster eat a song originally written on a Les Paul for breakfast.

3.) The point is not the guitar, it's the player. I think the point to a lot of the Offset Vids, mine included, is that it's not the guitar, it's the person behind the neck and their ability to make magic with it. The guitar alone is not going to play the music, it's the one who plays the guitar that does it. The whole reason behind the metal guitar's design is to make it easier to play for that style, but that does not mean that they are for everyone playing that style. I prefer rounder fretboard radius and lower frets, yes it makes some things harder, but some things are easier for me because of it that would be harder on the other.

4.) It sounds different. Few, if any, use a Jazzmaster pickup as a "High Gain" pickup, most would rather just put a 14.5K humbucker there and put a noise gate on it, which is too easy. There's a way to play single coils like humbuckers with high gain. A good analogy is driving an automatic and a manual transmission. With humbuckers, hum is cancelled, they are often wax potted for the job, and can be left turned up to 10 on a stage without squealing, it's like an automatic. Single Coils might require a noise gate, a lot of them squeal, even the high end ones, because they are not potted against feedback as that was in their vintage nature, and in the case of Jag and Jazz, they can be tinny with the stock pots, making one have to use their controls more. The Jag and Jazz have a lot of controls...I say use em'. My Jazzmaster runs at 5-7 on the lead circuit most of the time, that's how I get a good chunk out of it, even with 009's, but then think about Billy Gibbons of ZZ top, he uses 008's, and still gets a big sound with those, even on a single coil guitar like an Esquire. It's more work, but it's worth it.