Making my Jagstang sound like Kurt's on a budget

For longer than I can recall I've been an obsessive fan of Cobain's music and the way he set up, modified and played his guitars. Finally last year my dream of owning a Jagstang came true and I was able to purchase one on eBay. Now I'm looking to tweak it to the same-ish specs as Kurt's original prototype, but on a budget.

I know I can't pick up an H-3 for the bridge so I'm looking to get a DiMarzio DP158 for the approximate sound. Purchasing a Fender Texas Special is currently out of the question as mod money is getting a little tight, so can anyone tell me which pickups I should be looking at for the same effect? I'm guessing another standard Strat style thing with a hot sound?

I'm sure this question has been asked before so if anyone could direct me to a pre-existing thread I'd be equally grateful.

Cheers.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just get a DiM Super Distortion for the bridge, forget the neck pup.

Then i'd consider two pedals;

Boss DS-2

Behringer TM-300 Tube Amp Modeller

Also consider heavy gauge strings. Imo most of Kurts sound came from his rig/pedals than the actual guitar.

dimarzio super distortion or seymour duncan jb

screw the neck pup

get a ds-1 or ds-2

some type of marshall

shoot a little bit of heroin into your system and your good to go

IF you get a DS-1 only get one made in japan, the rest SUCK!

As far as i recal it, Kurt didn't really liked that exclusive DiMarzio pickup that he had in his Jag-Stang. So he replaced it with a Seymour Duncan JB TB-4 Trembucker.

As far as the neck pickup goes: ''If you really want a Texas Special Pickup in the neck, just wait until you have like a Fender/Squier Strat and replace the stock pickups with the other 2 Texas Special pickups in the Neck and Middle pickup positions. Since Cobain had the Texas Special Bridge pickup in the Neck position of his Jag-Stang.''

According to his guitar tech: http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

somebody on here needs to make a site called http://www.escap3t3hkurdtzsz.com that'd just be a new forum for members of this site where we can get away from the phone spammers and KUrDtSxsZ kids..... It's ridiculous....

This with bells on!

I thought the F.A.Q's were supposed to be read first?

I've got nothing against hero worship etc, when i was 15 if you did'nt know who jimmy page was i wouldn't talk to you, but why not go for your own sound and your own identity? :-(

I also own a Telecaster and I've modified that extensively, that's the guitar on which I've built up my own sound. With my Jagstang I feel that, if I'm going to own an instrument centred around the musical identity of Kurt Cobain, I might as well try and make it sound like that, rather than just leaving it as a gorgeous shell housing inferior pickups.

I also own a Telecaster and I've modified that extensively, that's the guitar on which I've built up my own sound. With my Jagstang I feel that, if I'm going to own an instrument centred around the musical identity of Kurt Cobain, I might as well try and make it sound like that, rather than just leaving it as a gorgeous shell housing inferior pickups.

Why do you make a post that further explains what you're going for? We've given you the advice. Also, there is a thing in the announcement section that says 'READ THE FAQ FIRST' and also "NIRVANA/KURT RELATED QUESTIONS"

Should try that first.

• 2 weeks later...

screw the neck pup

get a ds-1 or ds-2

some type of marshall

And yet he never used marshall amps.

Whoa. Okay. I guess all the video footage I've ever seen has been doctored. What kinda stupid cover up is this?

just get your jag-stang, into a boss ds-1 into a marshall mg and u get that wonderfull sound Kurt got./..

not to mention you might have to also purchase thousands of dollars worth of guitar equipment. Try looking at the thread in the effects section i wrote which should answer some of your questions if not all.

just get your jag-stang, into a boss ds-1 into a marshall mg and u get that wonderfull sound Kurt got./..

not to mention you might have to also purchase thousands of dollars worth of guitar equipment. Try looking at the thread in the effects section i wrote which should answer some of your questions if not all.

I dunt wanna be teh kurtz i jus wunt his sun witch i haz wiv dis rig. my booss ds-! suonds grate with teh gm marshall and my enfeder stang-jag

screw the neck pup

get a ds-1 or ds-2

some type of marshall

And yet he never used marshall amps.

Whoa. Okay. I guess all the video footage I've ever seen has been doctored. What kinda stupid cover up is this?

I hope you are being sarcastic but.....

He used a Mesa studio pre amp with crest/crown power amps most of the time live. He did use marshall cabs. In the studio it was mainly fenders, vox, mesa; still he never used a marshall amp, he hated them.

He used a Mesa studio pre amp with crest/crown power amps most of the time live. He did use marshall cabs. In the studio it was mainly fenders, vox, mesa; still he never used a marshall amp, he hated them.

he did use a marshall amp for the recording of "you know youre right" so he did use them from time to time, but not often....

http://www.rockstarsguitars.com/product ... &x=0&y=807

he did use a marshall amp for the recording of "you know youre right" so he did use them from time to time, but not often....

Interesting, its the 1st Ive seen that. So youve got 1 recording out of thousands.

Interesting, its the 1st Ive seen that. So youve got 1 recording out of thousands.

I'm sure he used it on more than just that one song, never said he used it often, butto say he never used marshalls is false.

For longer than I can recall I've been an obsessive fan of Cobain's music and the way he set up, modified and played his guitars. Finally last year my dream of owning a Jagstang came true and I was able to purchase one on eBay. Now I'm looking to tweak it to the same-ish specs as Kurt's original prototype, but on a budget.

1. you won't find a warm reception with most members who proclaim their obsession to Mr. Cobain. This is only because (as I've noticed in the two weeks on the site) that an overwhelming number of Kurt Questions rise up and after awhile all the questions keep being the same.

Try Kurtsequipment or guitar geek for info about his setup and what not. Guitar Geek Provides a good diagram of his setup etc.