Think you're in the minority here Gus, I'm with Stevie and Rob here. You should learn to play before arsing around with effects, they're only going to slow down your development as a player. I have a friend who got bought a ####load of pedals and stuff by his older brother within months of starting to play. I started playing about 6 months after him. Within a year I was that much better than him that he basically gave up, and he admits that it was because all he did was dick about with a delay and a whammy and an oscillating fuzz for a year and a half.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Effects will make lousy playing sound better

No they won't :-hmmm

Yes, they will.

I suggest an experiment...

Pick a chord, any chord. Hold it in such a way that your fingering is really sloppy, with a couple of muted and dulled strings.

Strum a few times, first clean, then with some effects on it (overdrive, fuzz, chorus, whatever)

Then come back and try to say again - with honesty - that the effects did absolutely nothing to hide the mistakes.

If, after trying it, you or anyone else disagrees further, I will just shut up about it.

I played really sloppily today actually, through Henry's mass of pedals. Which I was dissapointed about, as my playing has been good recently due to much sitting around the house... My poor playing still shone through. I really cannot agree with you that pedals can simply mask mistakes as you say. They can't correct bum notes in scales, or make up for crap technique... I'm not negating learning to play well. Thats just foolish.

I played really sloppily today actually, through Henry's mass of pedals. Which I was dissapointed about, as my playing has been good recently due to much sitting around the house... My poor playing still shone through. I really cannot agree with you that pedals can simply mask mistakes as you say. They can't correct bum notes in scales, or make up for crap technique... I'm not negating learning to play well. Thats just foolish.

Or it can repeat your mistakes over and over and over again, like your mother.

Or it can repeat your mistakes over and over and over again, like your mother.

bahahahaha!

by furz i mean muff, i thought it was technically a fuzz but was kind of a crossbreed :-hmmm

i wanted a BMPw/TW but heard they had a lot of noise, so now I'm GASing for a hoof, or maybe one of those stomp under foot pedals, or a disnortion, garrr i need something crazy, i want every fuzz there is, I want to buy Fran's pedals, I want that funky FX looper thing someone posted ages ago which does weird syncopated switches between pedals, I want a flanger

[/GAS attack]

Big Muffs are distortion pedals, but distortion and overdrive can sound fuzzy. Cranked up Marshalls are often said to be a little fuzzy sounding.

The Muff (not Big Muff) is just a ####ty overdrive. Stacking them results in a sort of big muff ish sound. But nowhere near as good. :(

Hoof is really muddy aint it?

The reason I'll get rid of the BMP w/ TW is to upgrade to a SUF Muff. The BMP w/TW IS quite noisey btw, so you heard right. I'll either get an Ibanez OD-855 clone or a Green Russian Muff (despite all the love around for the VRH and CWM). Sounds like the Musket Fuzz might suit you though. Thats Muff sounding, but goes crazier and apparently does a brilliant Billy Corgan. :wink:

I want a Lovetone Flange With No Name :lol: fml.

I got a HM-2 and proceeded to grin a lot.

I take it you like listen/play heavy metal :-D .

What's your personal favorite metal band (if i was right in thinking you like metal)

I do and I do.

My favorite metal band has to be Slayer. Then Megadeth. But also i like loads of metal bands from different sub genres, Sepultura, Napalm Death, Burzum, Emperor, Darkthrone, Carpathian Forest....etc.

p.s. sorry for the late reply. :wink: