Sign in to follow this  
Jag-Dan

New guy in need of some help and advice

Hello all,

Im Dan an im from the South west of England and i play a Fender Jaguar re-issue. I love the feel ans shape of this guitar but i have had one MAJOR problem which i havent found a solution for in the 5 years iv had it.....THE BRIDGE!!

Firstly the orginal buzzed constantly then the little grub screws kept coming loose causing all sorts of problem and hand injuries so i got a tune-o-matic type bridge which i prefer and enjoy using alot more. HOWEVER....

The low E string doesnt sit well in the saddle grove and without fail jups out whilst playing live as the bandd i play in are relitivly heavy and energetic. Iv tried filing the slot a bit deeper but didnt make much difference. I use ernie ball regular gauge strings aswell.

Can anyone recommend me a decent TOM bridge that will keep the strings in place!!

Cheers guys

Dan

Danthedoyle.jpg

Welcome Dan, is that a Black Flag tatoo i spy?

It seems your problem is more the saddles than the actual bridge. Im surprised filing a deeper slot has'nt worked.

There's a few options;

1/ Increase the string angle over the saddles either by using a 'buzzstop' or shimming the neck and hiring the bridge.

2/ Or try different saddles, maybe roller saddles

3/ Try a Mustang bridge

4/ Try a 'Mastery' bridge.

Personally i'd try them in that order too, each option gets more expensive!

hello Fran

Yeah it sure is a Black Flag tattoo. One of the best bands ever in my eyes!

Cheers for the options, i think that perhaps getting a new saddle and try to deepen it a bit better. I dont like the sound of increasing prices!!! They make me nervous haha

Would it be worth using smaller guage strings perhaps?

Most people recommend heavy gauge strings because of increased pressure on the bridge. I've always used 10s but im not really a basher when i play.

Definitely try filing the slot deeper whilst keeping an eye on the string height, if you go too deep the E string could 'choke out' when you string bend.

+1 on Black Flag. Our drummer has the same tat.

Yeah it sure is a Black Flag tattoo. One of the best bands ever in my eyes!

I like you. You're okay in my book.

Mastery bridge is probably your best bet. Also, I recommend .013-.056 gauge strings (Jazz Medium, in D'addario jargon). I use 'em, and I've never had a problem with knocking them out of tune.

The Mastery is like $160 though, sure it supposed to work fine but when you consider players have used these guitars for 40 years I still think it's a last resort in extreme cases.

Well, my Jaguar had an ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic filed for the fretboard radius when I bought it (I took it off and went to the stock bridge because that's what I prefer, to each his own). The ABR-1 style seems to be the best choice of TOM on a Jaguar because the saddles are really thick, so the lower string slots in the saddles can be cut REAL deep if needed. I never had string slippage problems with the ABR. The stock bridge I curbed them by doing the same (and installing a shorter screw) on the low E.

cheers guys

Iv been looking at the buzz stops. Has anyone used them? Do they lead to more string breakages as they look like they could do?

I used one for a while, no extra string breakage at all. They work well but some people think they are unsightly.