Original versus "Re-issue" Question ???

Hello Guys,

I am new to this board but have been interested in the jag-stang for a long time. I have recently come across a CIJ Jagstang with a Q+0+5 digit serial number (2002-2004) and was wondering if this release is worth buying over a MIJ original release. I know the sound and wood quality is better than the original release but in terms of value, how do the two fare? I love the idea of having a better sounding guitar more in tune to how Kurt Cobain had intended it to be but I also would enjoy knowing I have the original model which could possibly be worth more some day. I am close to pulling the trigger on the 2nd re-issue model but would still like to hear the opinions of more knowledgable jag-stang users and enthusiasts before I make a decision.

Thanks guys!!

This is more of a RI vs original, although 4 years of non production doesn't make it a reissue IMO. Also, They switched to CIJ about halfway through the original production :wink:

I heard that the RIs have slightly different finishes - they tend to be thicker and less green. That and alder instead of the original basswood is the only change.

This is more of a RI vs original, although 4 years of non production doesn't make it a reissue IMO. Also, They switched to CIJ about halfway through the original production :wink:

I heard that the RIs have slightly different finishes - they tend to be thicker and less green. That and alder instead of the original basswood is the only change.

They also didnt make any left handed ones for the reissues i don't believe. My lefty was a CIJ one made in 97. The finishes i think are just going from aqua green that kurt wanted to actual sonic blue, because my mustang was made in 94-95 and that finish is sonic blue and is noticeably bluer. As far as saying that the jagstang may of just faded, before i owned it the previous owner never touched it, just put it on display, whereas my mustang i played everyday from when i got it back in april last year until i got my jagstang, so that should have a similar color. i think fender figured it'd save production costs by doign a standard sonic blue instead of having a custom blue-green just for the jagstang.

They also didnt make any left handed ones for the reissues i don't believe. My lefty was a CIJ one made in 97. The finishes i think are just going from aqua green that kurt wanted to actual sonic blue, because my mustang was made in 94-95 and that finish is sonic blue and is noticeably bluer. As far as saying that the jagstang may of just faded, before i owned it the previous owner never touched it, just put it on display, whereas my mustang i played everyday from when i got it back in april last year until i got my jagstang, so that should have a similar color. i think fender figured it'd save production costs by doign a standard sonic blue instead of having a custom blue-green just for the jagstang.

I think the colors are indeed different. However, a guitar's color fading is completely irrelevant to use of the previous owner. If it was out on display it's color was absorbed by the sun light, simple as that, and it is as slight as it may be, it is faded.

Don't get me wrong I'd like mine to sound like his but not to try to emulate him. Honestly I just like the tone, though moreso towards the bleach tone or reading 92. But from there I can use my amp, a peavey vypyr 75 watt modelling amp, and adjust the sound and tone to a more personal fit. Honestly I like the gritty grungy sound but also like the clean twangy-but-chimey sound they also have on the WTLO disc 2 songs. Though I think I got close to their tone with the stock pups

Bleach - 1989

Jagstang - 1996

Retail, 96, prototype 93 and Kurt tended to play bleach era songs at shows after the stang came out. But yea I just like their tone, but, while I am a kurt fan for my own reasons, I don't preach like he's god, just that I like the tone. On another note have you tried the Seymour Duncan "hot for strat" single coil that warmoth has? Thinkin of puttin one in instead of a Texas hot

I've owned 5 Jag-Stangs and i must say the original model was the worst. It did'nt feel or sound good. May have been a duffer or a personal thing i dont know, as there does'nt seem to be any information to confirm construction changed after its first discontinuation.

In fact they all varied as have the CIJ Jaguars i've owned.

Difficult in this situation but 'try before you buy' is the best method.

I have a RI jag-stang and to me they feel and sound better than the originals also if want kue=rts exact sound you should get jb and texas special (bridge pickup at necck position) whitch i have and i love the brust out serve the servants and it sounds great (also i suggest you get the polychrous that is most of his sound)

Die-Go_try_this.jpg