what first called you to the guitar?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My friends band needed a guitarist and my now best drummer friend Dylan just looked at me and said "Learn guitar" So I did. That was six years ago.

Sure, what brought you to the guitar might have been because it was a cool instrument? Or were you inspired to try it by watching/hearing a band play? If so which band? When did you first get your first mustang/jaguar/jag-stang/jazzmaster?

I played it cos i wanted to play an instrument, then became obsessed. Gilmour and SRV got me into the whole blues thing and then Oliver Ackermann and Kevin Shields (mostly Shields) got me into the whole jazzy thing (although i liked them before) and then I got my Jazzy :-cool

I think it was Zeppelin, AC/DC and The Datsuns were the first bands I got into when I was young, coz of my brother. He was learning bass, so I got classical guitar lessons and electric lessons when I was about 8 or 9. Became properly obsessed with music at the age of 12, developed what I'd like to call an encyclopedic knowledge of early blues recordings. It was last year that I got into jazzmasters and jaguars really, it started with Sonic Youth I think, I got a jaguar in december because it's teh Kevin Shields guitar. :lol:

I got into it initially because I did not want to go through all the crap needed to learn to play synthesizer. Guitar was just far more accessable, and I did not need to stick to Alfred's method books full of cheesy kids songs to do it. I met my guitar teacher at the shop where he worked and he started showing off all sorts of cool noises and riffs on an EMG'd Fender Prodigy. Was pulled out of lessons six months later but was armed enough with skills from lessons to teach myself.

Back then I was into 80's pop-rock, then I got into alternative for awhile before getting into farther broader genres.

Led Zeppelin, Bruce Springsteen, Ry Cooder.

Jimmy Page was and still is the coolest guitarist ever and made me want to learn how to play.

Sprinsteen (and also Joe Strummer tbh) showed just how powerful and important someone with a guitar slung over their shoulder could be without being a flash git, and he also showed the guitar as a vehicle for the song and not just the riff or solo.

Ry Cooder is the finest guitarist that ever lived. His knowledge of the instrument (of any stringed kind really), and roots music is unsurpased and his recorded works are a joy to behold.

And I am absoloutely indebted to all 3 of them.

Sure, what brought you to the guitar might have been because it was a cool instrument?

Yes

Or were you inspired to try it by watching/hearing a band play? If so which band?

I don't want to talk about it.

When did you first get your first mustang/jaguar/jag-stang/jazzmaster?

Never.

davey g! not even a mustang damn dude you should get one! it;s mind altering :-D

I wanted a Mustang, but then I discovered this telecaster with P90s:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=501919

I've almost got enough dough for a second hand one (I don't buy anything except pants, shoes, underwear and socks new.) All black tele body+maple fretboard+hardtail strat bridge=win.

If I can find a '69 Mustang Reissue or a Cyclone II for less than the price of a used black dove tele then I'll get one of those.

Edit: Ordered the telecaster!

Guitar

Fender Hard Shell Case

Hercules Stand

Ernie Ball Strap Locks

Set of Ernie Ball Super Slinkies

Thanks to a 15% of coupon code (play) it came out to $698.95! I cannot wait until it gets here, but I'm just going to have to.

i started playing guitar cos i was writing songs and needed music to play to them.

i was inspired mostly by kurt to do this cos i understood his music a lot more then all the

©rap music my friends were listening to and trying to mimic...although sum rap music is cool, imo living in a suburban village and dressing / talking like a gangster jus seems daft, that plus i wanted to impress girls.

i got my jag bout a year or two after i started playin cos i didn't wanna be a total kurt clone with a mustang and long blonde hair....although kurt does play a jag as well so that plan was a fail.

• 2 weeks later...

:P well, im mostly inspired by Metallica's softer riffs....like battery (After intro) after hearing metallica i heard Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains, it got me into guitar....and i got an old westone from my mate, that was like 1 & 1/2 years ago :)

what brought me to jaguar's..........Holy shizenhizen ( :D ) i seen a REAL one....last of the japanese ones i almost cried when the dude said it would be gone before i could get the money :'(

what brought me to mustangs, Kurt Cobain Obvious, no?

____________________________^ Best inspiration ever!

and thats what brought me to this site :D and guitar

I remember being 16 or so and smoking weed with my friend and skipping school. We were both sitting on lawn chairs by his pool and I said, "Who gets paid to sit around and smoke pot and bang hot chicks all day?" To which he replied, "Rock stars." So about three weeks later I bought my first acoustic and he bought his first bass. He gave up after about a month and I kept with it. Then I saw Nirvana Unplugged on MTV and thought that kurt sounded pretty cool, before I had just been learning Eagles songs my parents liked to hear, so I bought Nevermind and In Utero and started picking out what I could by ear.

And 6 years later here I am.

I remember being 16 or so and smoking weed with my friend and skipping school. We were both sitting on lawn chairs by his pool and I said, "Who gets paid to sit around and smoke pot and bang hot chicks all day?" To which he replied, "Rock stars." So about three weeks later I bought my first acoustic and he bought his first bass. He gave up after about a month and I kept with it. Then I saw Nirvana Unplugged on MTV and thought that kurt sounded pretty cool, before I had just been learning Eagles songs my parents liked to hear, so I bought Nevermind and In Utero and started picking out what I could by ear.

And 6 years later here I am.

Ahaha! that's an awesome story.