Sign in to follow this  
Wiseman88

what first called you to the guitar?

I remember being 16 or so and smoking weed with my friend and skipping school. We were both sitting on lawn chairs by his pool and I said, "Who gets paid to sit around and smoke pot and bang hot chicks all day?" To which he replied, "Rock stars." So about three weeks later I bought my first acoustic and he bought his first bass. He gave up after about a month and I kept with it. Then I saw Nirvana Unplugged on MTV and thought that kurt sounded pretty cool, before I had just been learning Eagles songs my parents liked to hear, so I bought Nevermind and In Utero and started picking out what I could by ear.

And 6 years later here I am.

I always find it funny when people admit they started guitar to bang chicks.

When I started guitar chicks we're not really into it that much but I was a little bit young to think about banging hot chicks. (or maybe not...)

Anyway, what first called me to the guitar was seing my brother play I guess.

And then it was Jeff Buckley, and so I got my Tele"copper"caster more than 10 years ago. (Am I that old ?)

My story is pretty normal, ever since i was a child my grandpa play guitar and sang, he gave me Eric claptons "The Cream of Clapton" Greatest Hits Album when I was 3, so Ive grown up liking that type of music, many fond moments of listening to him play covers like "Thank you", by led zepplien, "Lights" by Journey, and alot of Beatles and "Badge" by Cream. He even gave me an acoustic Framus from the sixities,(he also had an idenicial 12 string acoustic). Though at the time i was around 6 and i stop listening to music, I was to focused on art. Though on my 13th birthday, i got 90 dollars and decided to get a cd. I went to best buy and bought Nevermind, and my life hasnt been the same since, used my grandpa's squier strat, and learned every nirvana song. Then learned zepplein,the who, all that good stuff. even got an epiphone les paul,( my love of jimmy page). Then i got into Jimi Hendrix, SRV,Muddy waters, all types of Blues. Then my step dad went into rockin Robins Guitar Shop, and saw a Sonic Blue Jag-Stang, Knowing my love for Nirvana, He told me if got good enough grades I could get it and I did. Finally me and my grandpa got it, suprisingly he liked it alot. he's even getting into Nirvana now, I just taught him how to play "About a Girl" and "Come As You Are", And he sings about a girl in a beatles way which is so amazing. and thats my story

I remember being 16 or so and smoking weed with my friend and skipping school.

lol....one of the resons why i got kicked out from a "normal" high school.

Short and sweet explanation. Originally wanted a piano because of Ray Manzarek from The Doors. Then I heard Jimi Hendrix and was blown away and wanted a guitar and to do drugs. I started listening to Nirvana more and and fell in love with the Jaguar. This happened when i was 14.

When I saw Chuck Berry on American Bandstand around 1959... :-wow ...that went right into my gut and I knew I had to play guitar.

it was 1993 and I had been into grunge and punk since 90 and i wanted to start my own band so i bought a guitar.

exiting story! :mrgreen:

What got me into playing the guitar was when I was in 8th grade, me and two of my friends where about to go into summer vacation and then start high school, so we planned on getting instruments and starting a band after the summer, so we could be cool, one friend was going to ask for a drum set over summer vacation when his birthday came around, and he was going to practice and my other friend was going to borrow his brothers guitar. And I was going to get a bass, I got one about a week before summer started, and started practicing every day and then summer ended and school started and when we all got back together, i was the only one that followed thru, and then I got a guitar about a week later and fell in love with playing that more then the bass and have been playing ever sense, about 14 years now. :-D

I had played the piano and took lessons for 5-6 years, and just got tired of it. Plus the teacher I had exclusivly taught me classical music. My dad had a few guitars, and I started playing those, and got hooked. Haven't looked back since.

Chances are not.

The real reason for playing guitar is to get women.

20 years later i'm still waiting.......................... might give gay a go.

+1 guitar is all about getting the foxy girlies :wink:

Chances are not.

I thought you were married Nathan...

Chances are not.

I thought you were married Nathan...

He is? (I think)

... might give gay a go.

It all feels the same in the dark...

I started playing muzak cos' it gave me trouser tingles. I've had plenty o' instruments, but never an electrified six string. I started with the bass in high school, and always cheap acoustic guitars to bang around with, then found the drums one night on my university campus ( I ended up being the reason the uni locked all the music rooms as I would invite friends out for late night jams; even had a stand up argument with the big chief of music cos' I wasn't a music student). If I do something I tend to do it properly and go for the best looking/performing/unique set up in any of my chosen pursuits, hence why I will soon have an uber sexeh Fender Jaguar !

:-cool

(oh yeah, everyone knows chicks dig dudes with guitars)

mtv. van halen's fancy hair & jumping, slash's smoking cigarette, dave navarro's tattoed fingers with black nail polish, billy corgan's nasal whine on a tight leather pants

in real life:

i went for the guitar because i can't sing. everyone in music class(back in grade school) was required to sing then...the teacher gave a condition that its either you sing or play an instrument---the guitar was the obvious easy choice(due to its availablity and plain coolness)

i played bass during highschool because everybody wants to be the guitar rockstar and the bass playing was mostly overlooked and underrated. but since my brother started to play the bass and became famous with it, i shifted to the guitar.

to sum it up: its something done for the animals. back in school, it was the escapegoat for a lot of reasons. it's because i was a chicken to academics or sports. now, its all for the chicks, skunks, beavers & pussies (like nate said) :-cool

got my fender guitars when i got a real job