I could use some advice on this little gem!

I just purchased this 1964 jaguar. It came with a p-90 and a palm pedal. I want to remove both. Is there anyway to fill the original pickguard???? Any advice on how to fill the holes in the bridge plate or the two in the body left behind by the palm pedal?

a>

Wow! The burst on that is beautiful! How much did you pay? The pickguard and bridge plate will need replacing I think. You should be able to find some nice tort that matches or you could buy a vintage one from ebay, though the prices for those are getting stupid. You might want to get some claws for those pickups too; I don't think I can see any on there. If you're thinking of filling the holes in the body I would get a quote from a luthier. They'll do the best job, it's such a nice guitar it needs more than a bit of woodfiller!

Hi Ray:

I paid $700 for it. I did a little more research since my last post and discovered that the

P-90 is Gibson (likely late 60's). It's also wired in oddily, when you turn the neck pickup on the bridge plate the toggle turns the p90 on and off. It has an amazing growl... now I might keep it. However the palm pedal HAS to go, touch it once and its out of tune.

Hi Ray:

I paid $700 for it. I did a little more research since my last post and discovered that the

P-90 is Gibson (likely late 60's). It's also wired in oddily, when you turn the neck pickup on the bridge plate the toggle turns the p90 on and off. It has an amazing growl... now I might keep it. However the palm pedal HAS to go, touch it once and its out of tune.

Wow that's a good deal!

Hi Ray:

Wow that's an amazing deal!

Fixed.

You are one lucky SOB sir.

Aye, true that.

are you sure you need to replace the "palm pedal" maybe all it needs is a good setup.

i never liked my mustang trem, but then i gave it a bit of TLC and it works like a dream. just take it to a guitar shop, such a great guitar needs to be fully working.

as for the P90, just buy a new PG that guitar is F'd up enough that keeping it stock seams silly.

You're probably right, "stock" seems a little out-of-the-way for this one. I did however order a new bridge tremolo setup for it. The palm pedal gets in the way. Apparently they sell for 175 - 225 on ebay. I am however learning to like the P90, its got a nice sound... if I keep it in then I wont need the pickguard... hmm decisions decisions....???

I agree with Foxy, it's placement makes it look dodgy. But if it sounds good, that's all that really matters. Lots of people think the Jaguar is an ugly guitar to boot, don't think they'll care about a single pup. Do you like the way it looks? No? Like the way it sounds? Yes. Does the sound outweigh the ugliness? I'd put a regular Jag trem on it, they're so nice. I don't like that Bigsby at all.

I agree with both of you. I dont like the Bigsby even a little bit. I already ordered a Fender tremolo and a Fender pickguard.. then I discovered the P90 was an old Gibson AND it sounded good. SO right not I am doing exactly what you guys mentioned... ugly... sound... hmmm...ugly... sound...? Honestly I think Ugly is going to lose and I will likely yank it out. A little tweaking with any decent amp will recreate that p90 growl. Also, the wiring is "dodgy". The P90 is only activiated when the neck pickup is turned on adn then I can toggle to have them both (neck humbucker and P90 together) or just the P90. He added a toggle between the main volume and control. Im going to take it to the shop to have that one reversed thanks. I used Faderlube on the pots yesterday, WOW, not a scratch, crackle or hum since.

I agree with both of you. I dont like the Bigsby even a little bit. I already ordered a Fender tremolo and a Fender pickguard.. then I discovered the P90 was an old Gibson AND it sounded good. SO right not I am doing exactly what you guys mentioned... ugly... sound... hmmm...ugly... sound...? Honestly I think Ugly is going to lose and I will likely yank it out. A little tweaking with any decent amp will recreate that p90 growl. Also, the wiring is "dodgy". The P90 is only activiated when the neck pickup is turned on adn then I can toggle to have them both (neck humbucker and P90 together) or just the P90. He added a toggle between the main volume and control. Im going to take it to the shop to have that one reversed thanks. I used Faderlube on the pots yesterday, WOW, not a scratch, crackle or hum since.

When you say humbucker d'you mean bridge pup?

Hi:

The neck pickup and the P90 are wired to operate together. The P90 uses the same volume and tone controls as the neck pup. But I can toggle the P90 off and on with the toggle placed between the main volume and tone control on the lower panel.... ??? When its off the neck pup is active, when its on both the P90 and the neck pup are on. However neither will come on unless I turn on the upper stackpole .... it took me a while to figure that out.... Im not that bright!