So i've finally decided to replace my beautiful 60 watt piano amp for an actual guitar amp. The following are the two on my list.

Marshall Class 5 it ranges around 400 bucks, and I really love the sound. There's also a used Electar tube amp (10 watt) for 100, but I've yet to hear the sound of it. The electar doesn't get rave reviews while the class 5 does for the most part.

So which one should I go for? Or should I look at another tube amp in the same price range as the class 5 or electar?

help us out here. Without extra information, this kind of thread would be closed on other forums.

Budget?

Location?

Willing to go used?

Prefered voicing (British/American/German)?

what kind of stuff will you be playing?

@alex: the class 5 isn't boutique. in any way. :lol:

help us out here. Without extra information, this kind of thread would be closed on other forums.

Budget?

Location?

Willing to go used?

Prefered voicing (British/American/German)?

what kind of stuff will you be playing?

My budget is at max around 400-500 dollars for a tube amp.

Willing to go used: I am but afraid that the tube amp might have been really thrashed before I got my hands on it.

Preferred Voicing: (i think you mean style) Probably a cross between Brits and Americans.

What Kind of stuff will you be playing: most likely white stripes, nirvana, a little hendrix, and as of late SRV.

Blues Jnr (used or new) + a good OD

Super champ xd

ht-5

I said prefered voicing, but you suggested I might mean style. No idea what this is supposed to mean. Voicing refers to the voicing of the amp, and the clean tone. Fenders and Musicman Amps are american voiced (crystal clean cleans, less raunchy when cranked. Less mids). Orange, Marshall, Vox and Hiwatt are examples of British voiced amps. British voiced sorta refers to EL34s in the power section, and 6L6s for Americans.

go to a shop. try amps out. see what you prefer.

http://nh.craigslist.org/msg/ watch that. see if any deals pop up.

Since you say brit/american, I'd reccomend the blackstar. Its a good amp and it has a blend knob for brit/us tones.

such a good feature for such a cheap amp.

i can't say enough how much i love blackstar amps!

Blackstar is a great amp. The single 10 inch speaker didn't do it for me though. Still a great amp and if you aren't gigging with it then it's fine.

Blues Jr is amazing for the $$$ used.

But...I have to throw out the Peavey here again, I know I know "Peavey's suck!" but I've owned several and I have to admit that they are great work horses and CHEAP! Cheap enough that you don't have to freak out about them all the time or worry about them at gigs. I use a Delta Blues as my main gigging amp and LOVE it. Probably one of my fav amps once I put in JJ tubes from eruotubes.com For what you're talking about I'd say a Classic 30 is better suited for you though. It's got a single 12" speaker and has a huge range of tone. The main dif between the two is of course the speaker (DB is either a 210 or 115 C30 is 112 only) but also the Delta Blues has footswitchable trem so if you like that you could try to find one. Either of these can be gotten off CL for well under $400 or even $300 if you're willing to take some time and search.

if you get the vypyr from peavey, the 60 and 120 watt ones are tube powered and it has different models. Sure modelling amps aren't always great but I love mine, and has a usb out port for recording and a standard headphone jack so no need for the big studio jack sized ones. Mines the 75 watt and trust me it's plenty loud, good enough for gigging venues of atleast 400 people.

if you get the vypyr from peavey, the 60 and 120 watt ones are tube powered and it has different models. Sure modelling amps aren't always great but I love mine, and has a usb out port for recording and a standard headphone jack so no need for the big studio jack sized ones. Mines the 75 watt and trust me it's plenty loud, good enough for gigging venues of atleast 400 people.

i don't like 'em, but it's worth looking into.

you will just have to have a play of all these amps and make up your own mind, after all it's you who is playing it.

If you're looking to spend 400-500 bucks I would definitely consider used. I bought a hot rod deluxe for a little over 400 bucks in great condition. I hate the waiting involved in finding a great deal but it's worth it. For myself I don't mind a little cosmetic damage I feel it adds to the character. As long as it's purely cosmetic of course.If you buy used just make sure to demo it and go with your gut instinct. Fender makes great all around amps. Try out a blues jr. or a hot rod. Craigslist can be a gold mine or a shark tank. Whatever you do don't go solid state.

If you're looking to spend 400-500 bucks I would definitely consider used. I bought a hot rod deluxe for a little over 400 bucks in great condition. I hate the waiting involved in finding a great deal but it's worth it. For myself I don't mind a little cosmetic damage I feel it adds to the character. As long as it's purely cosmetic of course.If you buy used just make sure to demo it and go with your gut instinct. Fender makes great all around amps. Try out a blues jr. or a hot rod. Craigslist can be a gold mine or a shark tank. Whatever you do don't go solid state.

THIS!