• 4 months later...

Anyone know if the Super Sonics have a 24 inch conversion neck like some of the Jagmasters have. My question is: Can i put a regular Strat neck on it without any modifications?

I'm not certain, but I am willing to speculate...

SuperSonics were part of the Vista Series, and I believe that Jagmaster necks didn't become conversion necks until the 3rd generation release.

So I am pretty sure the SuperSonic necks are either true shortscale or true fullscale.

But there are SuperSonic owners on the forum who will be able to provide a more definitive answer.

I'm not certain, but I am willing to speculate...

SuperSonics were part of the Vista Series, and I believe that Jagmaster necks didn't become conversion necks until the 3rd generation release.

So I am pretty sure the SuperSonic necks are either true shortscale or true fullscale.

But there are SuperSonic owners on the forum who will be able to provide a more definitive answer.

They are not full scale, I know that much :wink:

Anyone know if the Super Sonics have a 24 inch conversion neck like some of the Jagmasters have. My question is: Can i put a regular Strat neck on it without any modifications?

i have one. the Super Sonic is indeed 24" but re: modding to a strat neck im not pretty sure on that. the Sonic's neck is too pretty to mess with in the first place...and id definitely not mess with it because: a.) its already good as it is, b.)rarity of the Japanese Squier, c.) its current market value. id rather mod a jagmaster for that kind of experiment

here's a link of a Sonic being sold in evilbay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squier-Super-Sonic-Vista-Series-Japan-Rare-/290538055175?pt=Guitar&hash=item43a56ae607

• Like 1

i have one. the Super Sonic is indeed 24" but re: modding to a strat neck im not pretty sure on that. the Sonic's neck is too pretty to mess with in the first place...and id definitely not mess with it because: a.) its already good as it is, b.)rarity of the Japanese Squier, c.) its current market value. id rather mod a jagmaster for that kind of experiment

here's a link of a Sonic being sold in evilbay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squier-Super-Sonic-Vista-Series-Japan-Rare-/290538055175?pt=Guitar&hash=item43a56ae607

I see.

But if a normal Strat neck fits, it would be a modification thats easy reversible, and it wouldnt leave any "scars" for later. I have no doubt that the Super Sonic already have a good neck, but i usually prefer full scale necks.

They are not conversion necks. I checked, as I have a Super-Sonic body and a Strat neck laying around here. And the neck mounting holes aren't even matching, as the Super-Sonics don't have the standard rectangle neck plates. It won't work.

Here is a picture of my family - including four Super-Sonics (the fifth is in parts under the Mustang Bass) and a Strat.

family2011.jpg

• Like 1

They are not conversion necks. I checked, as I have a Super-Sonic body and a Strat neck laying around here. And the neck mounting holes aren't even matching, as the Super-Sonics don't have the standard rectangle neck plates. It won't work.

Here is a picture of my family - including four Super-Sonics (the fifth is in parts under the Mustang Bass) and a Strat.

family2011.jpg

Thanks for finding out!

And you have alot of cool gear on your wall!

family2011.jpg

the King of Squier Super Sonic Modding speaks.... :mrgreen: listen true believers

• 3 months later...

I have a blue sparkle burst all standard model, the guitar is a dream to play it is so so unique which on stage will already give other people something to talk about.

The pick ups could do with some di marzio's in my opinion but i will do that in the near future! It's the best squier ever made along with the venus, the vista series are as good as fender's in my opinion. I have many fender's all the weird ones mustang jaguar customised Kurt cobain style jagstang and a j mascis jazzmaster.

If you ever get the opportunity to own a supersonic my words are you must!!

Wadeaminute, can you explain to me what the point of a strat jack on the back of the guitar is?

Partially for the weirdness. There is a stealth factor (where is the jack?). It is angled so the cable goes over the strap and into the guitar. Someone else did it first on a blue sparkle one.

I was looking to do something different, and this idea won.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a standard sparkle burst blue one, i wanna replace the 2 duncan design humbuckers with some dimarzios. Im not great with knowledge of pick ups but i take it you could put a PAF on the neck place and meaty sounding one on the bridge place am i correct in thinking this way???

I love the guitar just looking for a heavy clearer sound as the duncan design pick ups arent to great.

I have a standard sparkle burst blue one, i wanna replace the 2 duncan design humbuckers with some dimarzios. Im not great with knowledge of pick ups but i take it you could put a PAF on the neck place and meaty sounding one on the bridge place am i correct in thinking this way???

I love the guitar just looking for a heavy clearer sound as the duncan design pick ups arent to great.

My white one has a Dimarzio PAF in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge, which accomplishes exactly what you want. The one thing I haven't tried yet that I would like to is TV Jones Power'Trons. But you would need a new pickguard.

• 1 month later...

I tried to sell mine on craigslist like 2 years ago for like $500. No one bit and one person emailed me laughing that I was trying to sell a Squier for that much. :(

I put it on craigslist again in like November of last year for $900 and the only person who replied was a scammer haha. Yea buddy I am sure you want this guitar for "your school" you're opening. Of course if anyone, with cash, wanted to give me $900 for it I'd consider it!

Maybe in 2 years I'll put it on craigslist again for $1300. I am not really looking to sell the guitar (I was considering it when I was asking $500) I am just trying to increase the value!

• 2 months later...

Hello, my first post. Just got myself this sexy thing:

15pityb.jpg

Love it, but not overly impressed with the pickups. Can anyone please suggest which Seymour Duncans are closest in output/tone to the stock Super-Sonic pickups?

What I mean is I like the sound of the pickups, they just sound a bit cheap and are prone to feedback. I want the same overall sound/feel, just better quality. I still want the Super-Sonic to sound as was intended.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a silver sparkle I am going to mod.

-fill the trem cavity

-new paint (flat or satin black)

-wilkinson tele bridge (w/o pup cut out)

-tone control

-custom pickguard

-new pups (GFS lipstick buckers, or GFS Surf 90s)

-bigsby (if I can find a suitable bridge I like)

-maybe other fluff (control knobs, old fender bridge cover, strap locks if I can make'm fit, stuff like that)

Here she is: IMG_3580.jpg

Will post more as it happends!

• 2 years later...

I've had one of these since the late 90's when they were being sold brand new. It's still completely stock and has been my go-to guitar for the entire time I've had it; nothing else feels quite so comfortable to play as my Super-Sonic.

In recent years, I've really come to love the bluesy sound you can get from a Strat and have wondered... could I make some simple modifications to my Super-Sonic to get that bluesy Hendrix sound.

My initial thought was to add push/pull knobs to split the pickups, but I have some questions for those who are more experienced:

1. Can I get a Hendrixy, single-coil blues sound out of the original pickups if I split them?

2. Similarly, is it possible (for maximum flexibility) to keep humbucking and single-coil functionality while still achieving the sound I'm looking for?

3. Should I upgrade the pickups to achieve this?

Thanks, everyone!