Sign in to follow this  
Aidankell33

Stopping the Mustangs tremolo arm from falling out?

Hi, I play Mustangs because they have my favourite tremolo system by far, and it is very rare I play an entire song with my band without using it at least a few times. One major problem I have though is keeping the arm secured to the body... I have tried and tried to use the small screw you can tighten with an allen key to keep it on the guitar, but I am experiencing trouble which I'm not sure is a result of me using it incorrectly or if it's just not designed to do what I want.

I have been told that it is possible to have the trem arm swing freely when not held, but still be secured enough so as not to fall out. I can't achieve this. If mine is not tight enough so that it is rigid and stiff, then it is not tight enough to be held in very well at all. Does anyone else have this problem? Could it maybe just be a defective screw?

You are certainly not the only one. Apparently, mustangs of old had rubber heads on those grub screws, but by far the most effective way is to get another tremolo arm - 6mm this time and use a tap to make a screw thread. Also, get a non-threaded bar so that you can use the same die to thread the bar. When I did mine, the bar had slightly different thread spacing to the socket and it stuck at points. Otherwise, its a great mod, and it means that it will hold in the guitar, and even hold in place.

I have a similar problem. My trem bar doesn't fall out but it stays in position only for a few tunes then starts swingin.

I'm gonna spray some clear on the end of the trem bar. I'll let you know how that works.

How'd it work Doug? What the heck dyou mean "clear"?

Alex's right. I'm gonna spray just a bit of clear laquer on the end that inserts. I don't want to get too much on there because I don't want to risk residue building up down in the socket.

I've been travelling so much that I haven't gotten round to this yet. I'll let ya know how it works...

The way Mcconnaciea described is how i solved the problem on my JagStang trem,(same system), but before that i filed a series of flats around the bar at the location where the grub screw makes contact at about 1.5 mm deep all round then with a thin strip of emery paper, went round the flats creating an undercut of sorts so i could screw in the grub screw, just nipping up on the bar, and then have it swinging loosely around without falling out.

Although it is a slightly over elaborate and more time consuming method.

Has anyone here heard of Mad-Mike? :lol:

His set up solves this problem, lest we not forget the JS employs the Mustang tremolo.

Has anyone here heard of Mad-Mike? :lol:

His set up solves this problem, lest we not forget the JS employs the Mustang tremolo.

He did that thing I did eventually :wink:

ACtually, what I showed was how to keep the thing in tune, not how to install a strat style bar on a Mustang trem, about the only difference is I did it the "Redneck" way - Vaseline on the 6mm bar, and a little force to get the bar to cut the threads. I must say, I like this setup a lot better, but my Mustang is just as good with it's stock trem as it's a 60's Trem Unit and not one of hte modern Japanese ones (and thank god I got the spring adjustment screw unseized on the bass side or I would have had to use a Japanese trem unit).

A friend sent me a threaded trem bar (probably from a cheap strat) that fits into the stock trem bar hole. It just drops in until it hits the set screw, then I screw it in using the set screw as my tension adjuster. No mods needed.

Funny part is... I never use the trem bar.

You could try this. Get hold of one of the springs used beneath a Strat term arm to tension it.Cut the spring in half.Pop it in the grub screw hole, cut side facing grub screw. Replace screw and tighten until arm is tensioned. Works for me (so far !)