I'll go into some detail to explain the Tone Wicker Muff vs. the Russian muffs (THIS ISN'T THE SAME AS SOVTEK DISCUSSED EARLIER. Green Sovtek is not what people call Russian Muffs >>)

The Tone Wicker Muff has the normal Vol, Tone, Sustain controls, plus a 'Wicker' switch and a Tone switch. With The Tone switch ON and Wicker OFF you have the same circuit as the NYC BMP RI.

Big Muffs are known for sucking out your mids, meaning that often a Big Muff will not cut through the mix very well. The Tone switch bypassed the tone control and gives a pretty hefty bump of gain and makes the pedal sound very very fat compared the regular muff sound. It sounds faaaaarrrr bigger than the Russian Muff (which has less gain, fizz, and sounds slightly darker). It makes the Muff very open sounding and quite engulfing really. With the Wicker, you can roll the sustain knob back without it sounding crap, because there is a gain boost (moar clipping) and it has the mids making it into a huge wall of distortion.

The Wicker switch adds some high end sparkle to the sound and can be engaged with the Tone switch in either position. This means you can still have the prominent treble fizzyness (that you have with the tone control on) if you have the tone control off. Meaning you have huge fat sound, with loads of mids as well as the fuzzy staticy treble :-D

It is by far the best of the recent Muffs EHX has put out. You have far more tonal variety, it is smaller, it doesn't have power supply issues and it's built like a #### tank. One downside, as with lots of Muffs, it's pretty noisey and theres some hissing. Feedback sounds brutal though :) <333

You've always told me that it feels flimsy and that the toggle switch is bound to break? so much for a tank...

I've only played with the tone wicker once, and didn't like it much. . . Definitely doesn't sound huger than the black russian...More of a fizzy fuzz...

Daniel/kurtz kid: if you want a muff which actually has versatility which you can buy from your favourite guitar shop (guitar centre) get the tone wicker... The russian is much more like mudhoneys. Versatility wise... get the tone wicker...

Whichever one you get... remember this: The higher you crank the volume... the huger it gets, it will sound pants through a small SS amp and needs to be played through a nice tube amp... Whatever muff you have...

You've always told me that it feels flimsy and that the toggle switch is bound to break? so much for a tank...

It aint flimsy at all???? The enclosure is #### thick.

I do worry about the mini-switches however.

EHX are renowned for making #### quality pedals that crap out though.

I've only played with the tone wicker once, and didn't like it much. . . Definitely doesn't sound huger than the black russian...More of a fizzy fuzz...

Daniel/kurtz kid: if you want a muff which actually has versatility which you can buy from your favourite guitar shop (guitar centre) get the tone wicker... The russian is much more like mudhoneys. Versatility wise... get the tone wicker...

Whichever one you get... remember this: The higher you crank the volume... the huger it gets, it will sound pants through a small SS amp and needs to be played through a nice tube amp... Whatever muff you have...

I'm a big fan of versatility but I want to get as mudhoney like as possible,so is it possible to get mudhoney sounds out of the tone wicker?(I'd prefer the russian but my parents throw fits about things i get online) (i might get it anyway)

which version of the muff does mudhoney even use? I tried looking it up and all I got was a bunch of crap on the album super fuzz big muff.
The Russian is not "more Mudhoney"...

From the pics I've seen, Steve Turner has a NYC RI on his board. Get the #### tone wicker and be done with it.

ok man will do :-cool

Gus already told you?

Also, IT DOESN'T MATTER. You'll never get the exact same sound anyway unless you have the same guitars, amps, studio setup and so on. Just pick a Big Muff and approximate. The tone wicker model is the best in current production. Get that. End.

which version of the muff does mudhoney even use? I tried looking it up and all I got was a bunch of crap on the album super fuzz big muff.
The Russian is not "more Mudhoney"...

From the pics I've seen, Steve Turner has a NYC RI on his board. Get the #### tone wicker and be done with it.

ok man will do :-cool

Gus already told you?

Also, IT DOESN'T MATTER. You'll never get the exact same sound anyway unless you have the same guitars, amps, studio setup and so on. Just pick a Big Muff and approximate. The tone wicker model is the best in current production. Get that. End.

I meant mark,and ok will do.

• 4 weeks later...