I just bought a second hand reissue competition blue mustang about a week ago. I ordered a dimarzio super distortion pickup for it and I have some 500k pots for it. Had anyone done that switch conversion? The one that Seymour duncan made the schematic for. Is it worth doing? Any benefits? And what gauge string should I use on it? I'm using 10s right now. Thinking about going down to 9s. Thanks!

I just bought a second hand reissue competition blue mustang about a week ago. I ordered a dimarzio super distortion pickup for it and I have some 500k pots for it. Had anyone done that switch conversion? The one that Seymour duncan made the schematic for. Is it worth doing? Any benefits? And what gauge string should I use on it? I'm using 10s right now. Thinking about going down to 9s. Thanks!

I have a 69 reissue with a super distortion in it, though i still have the stock 250k pots in it, but as far as the strings, i have 10-52s on there, as well as on my jagstang, but my strat has bullet 9s on it that i really like so i may try that. use what feels most comfortable to you i say, in my case, the 10-52s with the 250k pots are too bassy, so for me i might use lower guage, but like i said, use whats comfortable.

I have a 65 RI and I modded mine for a more stable working horse. The first think I did was refit the nut for 10-52 Dean Markley strings by simply using the strings as a tool. It works but make sure not to go deep just width. I then switched out the bridge for a Mastery Bridge which I have been very impressed by, lots more sustain and stable. I don't use a whammy so the fact that the Mastery doesn't rock is a plus. Make sure to get the intonation set right, it can be done in about an hour. I switched out the the cheap pickups for less noisy and more musical ones to my ear. I choose the Red and Blue Lace Sensor (you may need help with this). They work great and get extremely smooth tone together. The last thing I did was add a Tusq string tree to insure no string tree noise. Make sure to experiment with different strings such as the new Helix HD by Dean Markley or other brands you may prefer. I also would suggest getting good guitar polish such as Lizard spit and Fast Fret for the strings. This is what I have done in about 6 months after getting it. I always wanted a modded Mustang and it has been worth the hassle. Hope this helps.

I put in the super distortion yestarday and was quite impressed with it. I haven't put in the 500k pots in yet, hopefully I'll get them in this weekend. I'm gonna try the 9 gauge strings too. And if I have enough ambition I'll try to wire the mustang with the schematic from seymour duncan.