hey everyone.... just acquired a great MIJ Jazzmaster and am wondering if someone can answer a question. I was told that this guitar is a Japanese 62 reissue Jazzmaster, but can only confirm that it was made in either 95 or 96 by the serial number. I was told by a fairly reliable source that most of the Jazzmasters made in Japan were reissue models. I have included a pic of mine. any info would be great. regardless, it's an awesome guitar and I am falling more in love with it daily! just wondering if I can get the particulars on this guitar.

jazzmaster-1.jpg

hey everyone.... just acquired a great MIJ Jazzmaster and am wondering if someone can answer a question. I was told that this guitar is a Japanese 62 reissue Jazzmaster, but can only confirm that it was made in either 95 or 96 by the serial number. I was told by a fairly reliable source that most of the Jazzmasters made in Japan were reissue models. I have included a pic of mine. any info would be great. regardless, it's an awesome guitar and I am falling more in love with it daily! just wondering if I can get the particulars on this guitar.

jazzmaster-1.jpg

Ah all Japan Fenders are reissues, if I'm not mistaken. They certainly aren't "original" models anyway. Unless of course it's the Jagmaster. It probably is a '62 reissue. I don't know what the difference is between a '62, well, I think it's '66 that was reissued as well? But it more than likely is a '62 if s/he said it was. What particulars, in particular are you looking to acquire as a part of your knowledge?

hey, SV... thanks for the info. I kind of thought that was the case based on the little bit of research I've done. this is my first MIJ fender, so I guess I'm just wondering about pickups, wiring, switches, etc. and how they rate in comparison to the USA models. I've heard great things about the MIJ models for the most part, but I've also read the the quality isn't always consistent. mine seems to be really solid.

I like mine. I've not played a US Jag, but I've played a US Jazzy. My MIJ was unfortunately not made of alder. It's quite heavy and the stock pups were okay, not great though. I definitely recommend up grading yr pups. Cloth wiring is of course "nicer" I s'pose, that's not an expensive thing to do if you really want to. Switches have held up pretty well, I beat on my guitar, so that's saying something. But I've replaced them, so what I'm trying to say is, I've had those moments where I was amazed that they didn't break.

Depends what sound you want.

I suggest Seymour Duncan. I got SJM-1s and Antiquity II's that I've had experience with. I like both. Antiquity pups try to replicate the sound of a vintage Jazzmaster pickup from the 60s, by slightly demagnetizing them, going as far as adding dust to them, etc, etc, etc. I'm not sure if they're a good replication as I've not played a vintage Jazzy or Jag, but they sound amazing. Also, I don't think J Mascis would purchase them if they weren't capable of sounding vintage, as he actually has money to throw around for an actual vintage pickup. Fran would recommend the SJM-2's or 3's, which I imagine are also very good. They have more of a hot sound iirc. Or you could try Jason Lollar. I've not heard any of these pups, but I'm sure they're decent/of quality/better?? than what I would expect from Seymour Duncan.