Purplehaze19x

pictures of your guitars

What are the specs on those Westburys?

Hodges loved his too, but i know he only got one because he couldn't get his grubby coke stained hand on an Ovation Ultra GP.

What i really wanna know is how close they are to a Gibson Les Paul, because the Ovations were very similar in design to the Paul, and the Westbury, apart from a different top horn, looks close too.

What are the specs on those Westburys?

Hodges loved his too, but i know he only got one because he couldn't get his grubby coke stained hand on an Ovation Ultra GP.

What i really wanna know is how close they are to a Gibson Les Paul, because the Ovations were very similar in design to the Paul, and the Westbury, apart from a different top horn, looks close too.

They were made at the matsumoku factory in japan (same as the vintage Ibanez models, Aria pro, Westone and Vantage) around the late seventies early 80's.

Some guitarists/collectors believe this period was Japans finest moment in guitar building.

The Westbury is solid mahogany body and set neck with rosewood fretboard, 2 x DiMarzio pups (PAF in neck/Super Distortion in bridge), schaller type machine heads and stop tailpiece TOM bridge. It also has a carve around the edge of the body called an 'austrian carve'.

Its the same weight as a Gibson S.G. and knocks out a similar sound to a good quality SG.

They were quite common in the late 80's. Not so much now, and if you looked for something new of equal quality you would probably be looking at spending 500 quid.

I'm after a Yamaha SG now. They're like a mix of the two, Stuart Adamson used one in The Skids/Big Country and Carlos Santana. Awesome guitars, Les Paul sound without the weight.

I gotta win the lottery... :lol:

I'm on it dude... bigtime! Got 5 tickets tonight, that vintage Yamaha SG2000 will be mine. Plus i've blown my amp up and did i mention my missus wants to go to America after we both retire from work this year?

Nice, i can just vaguely make out its a sunburst single cut model. Grover machine heads. I have a cherry red double cut model.

This is my workhorse 1977 Gibson Les Paul Special Ltd Edition - Stock P90 loaded.

As a testament to Gibson's quality - I bought this guitar brand new in early 78 (with a painful loan),it was factory set up, I have not changed anything since, apart from the usual clean & action adjustments, the truss rod has never been moved & everything including the frets is original. It has a superb action & stays in tune, it has had some abuse over the years, as I am quite aggressive when playing rhythm & lead.

I love these guitars & the P90's, they scream as much as humbuckers if you set your amp right, with lovely controlled feedback & the P90's are surprisingly quiet, not a lot of hum.

1977LesPaul-2.jpg

Copyof1977LesPaul-4.jpg

P1000176-1.jpg

Nice looking guitar. That Converse box makes me think you have giant feet! I'm joking of course.

haha not so much, i wear 9's, though, thats 8 & 1/2 in chucks. just a big box, great for keeping random stuff in hahaha. my poor man's treasure chest. yeah, its a nice guitar. looks good i think, bought i bought it for sound more than anything. SD JB and i think quarter pounders in the neck. i forget hahah. the width of the fretboard is just a bit too.. wide, for my tastes. but i thought the jag-stang neck was the most comfortable i'd ever played, so thats a bit biased. i planned on stripping all of its electronic and putting it in the jag-stang just to have the total package of comfort and sound, but it was stolen the week i was looking for wiring schmatics. j'stang+3-pos toggle+SD's=noyce. (atleast in theory haha)

My Westbury Standards.

Mahogany, through neck, DiMarzio's, austrian carve on the body edge. Matsumoku japanese made around 1982:

w1-1.jpg

w2.jpg