Preferred string gauge on your Jag?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred string gauge on your Jag?

• 9's
    • 10's
    • 10's Heavy Bottom
    • 11's
    • 12's
    • Other

Hi all

I'm curious which gauge strings you all use on your Jags. Please only vote if you own one.

If you use "Other" please mention it.

If you use Flat wound steel mention that too.

Feel free to fight over the best string gauge. Hair pulling and name calling is encouraged.

i used to religiously used flatwound 11's. now i just use roundwound 11's. i think you'll find most people use 11's on jags, if they've any sense. good post. but some people have been known to use 13's...

• Like 1

i go 10s with heavy bottom, but i have the HH, so i don't have that horrible bridge problem. It had 9s on when i tried it in the shop and they were bloody horrible. 10s as light as i dare go though.

I use 11s on everything right now, but I think I might move back to 10s once I run out (I went and bought a 12 pack of them a few months ago). I'm finding that the way it changes my sound isn't worth the loss in ease of thrashing about. Plus, I don't get to play the guitars as much, so they give my uncalloused hands a bit of a rough time. I think I'd stick with the 11s on a shorter scale guitar (like a Jaguar... all my guitars are 25.5), though.

I probably play anywhere around 1 - 4 hours a day, when not in the studio...the 12's and 13's never give me problems, so far as my fingers are concerned, but, I also work with my hands...it's the sliced fingertips that usually hurt like hell...

I'm lucky if I get to play for 7 hours a week. I find that my fingertips are usually slightly swollen after playing a bit, and fairly beat up around the nails. It's not as bad as using 9's and having the tiny e string gouge into my skin, though.