Sign in to follow this  
cybus ben

STRAT NECK ON A JS?

hey, im relatively new to the forum, being that I haven't posted anything.

Not long back, I decided to give it a go at building a jagstang. I'm left handed and I'm too impatient to wait around until a shortscale neck pops up on ebay at a stupidly high price.

so.. i was wondering, what would i have to change to the original jagstang design

how deep/wide would the neck pocket have to be?

how much further back would the bridge have to be?

etc

picked the tracing up yesterday from the post office :P cheers fran

To be honest, no. But I have found that the 24 fret necks off 'metal' guitars have exactly the same measurement. If you were to trim the heel to fit, the guitar would intonate perfectly. However, to fit a strat neck you would need to move the bridge back over an inch or so - probably an inch an a half, which is more hassle than its worth as you'd need to fill and repaint the whole thing to make it match. Or you could extend the neck pocket, which to me seems impossible.

I'm not at all sure of the widths of the heels of the two different necks though, so I think you'd be best getting one of these, and trying to cut a more fenderish shape out of it, or even add on wood, and make a proper fender style headstock and refinish it:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/rst24frneprf.html

EDIT: You're a lefty :P

Well you could go out and get a squier stagemaster neck then, as they are fender style reverse headstocks which have 24 frets. You turn that the right way round and you have yourself a fender neck with 24 frets. You will still have to modify the heel on that though.

any clue on how id go on modifying the heel?

You'd have to clamp a piece of jagstang heel-shaped MDF/plywood onto the back of the 24 fret neck and use a router with a guide bit to cut off the excess, leaving it flush with the template.

Im not sure that will work Alex.

My Stagemaster neck is 25.5 which means the last 4 or so frets would sit past the cut out, you would'nt be able to access them. Plus it will look wrong.

You might get away with losing the .75 on a gibson style 24.75 neck.

Is that our Ben?

Thought you'd end up on here sooner or later. :lol:

Tip: remember the shoe-gaze kiddies all want a Jag-Stang even though they pretend they don't.

:P

:lol: