Danelectro DC 59

paltic

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on what sort of music you are playing.

The pups are ok.

I never gigged mine but they held up in rehearsal pretty well.

If you want to upgrade, seymour duncan do some nice alnico ones.

I suspect the latest RI's have the same stock ones but don't quote me on that.

Me and mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxtYQj_2uMM

me and gus were sitting in a music shop both playing one each.. the necks feel horrible... the body feels horrible. and the ones now have these odd concentric pots and if you turn one level the other level moved too... fvcking weird..

I would still get on though, just to destroy.

Poor sad misguided Henry, and Gus. :lol:

The neck is wonderful, don't know what model you played, the concentric knobs are the original types. Volume and tone, middle part and outside skirt respectivly.

They are tight at first but soon ease up.

I heard a rumor they have gone back to that awful wooden bridge too, most primitive tack i've ever seen.

Having said that, the DC model is the best i've tried out of the bunch.

The rose wood bridge is whats on most dano's, you had one on that U2 you bought off of Chris, and they're not great thats true.

The Jimmy Page issue version has a much better BadAss bridge on and better pick ups too.

I want one.

These are very cool old guitars and I so want to enjoy playing one. I'm glad you've hung in there with yours, Nathan, and are truly enjoying it.

But for me it's just infatuation. Every one I've test-driven ...all reissues... has disappointed me :( . They each felt like a toy, kinda clunky, with tough action, and the sound was so thin, even through a decent amp. They were cheap then and feel cheap today.

Maybe high volume through a stack of Marshalls would change my mind. Or just playing slide.

They are what they are. Cheap affordable retro guitars. What you get is what you got all those decades ago. If you're going to gig one the pick ups can be up graded to something a bit beefier.

The stock ones do have a thinness about them as Doug said, but they're not totally un-usable.

The middle toggle switch position has a nice sound because the neck pick up is'nt as close to the neck as with other guitars so you can get a really nice snapping tone out of it.

Plug it into a vox AC30 and it comes alive.

19951_100778269952853_1000006204064.jpg

This is a photo with the wooden bridge and the black/white concentric pots.

Also notice the 3 screws holding the 'seal' pick guard down are in different positions to mine.

They are what they are. Cheap affordable retro guitars. What you get is what you got all those decades ago. If you're going to gig one the pick ups can be up graded to something a bit beefier.

The stock ones do have a thinness about them as Doug said, but they're not totally un-usable.

The middle toggle switch position has a nice sound because the neck pick up is'nt as close to the neck as with other guitars so you can get a really nice snapping tone out of it.

Plug it into a vox AC30 and it comes alive.

19951_100778269952853_1000006204064.jpg

This is a photo with the wooden bridge and the black/white concentric pots.

Also notice the 3 screws holding the 'seal' pick guard down are in different positions to mine.

a wooden bridge? oh c'mon... :-hmmm

Like i said thats what you got then and its what you get now, although the page model has the badass bridge in it which is much better.

However this bridge was'nt fitted till the early '80s when he used it in The Firm so what you here on Kashmir, White Summer/ Black Mountainside et al is a DC 59 with the rosewood bridge. So if Mr Page thinks its ok then thats good enough for me.

The Eric Clapton one is hideous though. :-hateit