fender telecaster/gibson les paul studio

They're both very versatile, maybe the LP slightly less so... You can do anything with a Telecaster pretty much, as long as you don't need a whammy. They're quite hard to compare though, because the sound of them is very different. You can get a jangly sound out of an LP though (both pickups on).

i believe you should go with the telecaster b/c Kurt Cobain (my favorite guitarist!) had one. It's interesting because after reading heavier than heaven I found out that alot of the demo's which appear on wtlo were recorded on a telecaster.

I agree with your answer, but the reason behind your answer is complete and utter failsauce

But seriously, go with the Tele, they sound awesome for everything. Dun get me wrong LP's are great, but I think Tele's have a more unique tone that is just as versatile (if not more versatile) than that of an LP. Also, so many people use LP's and similar guitars nowadays that they are starting to sound kinda generic to me.

i believe you should go with the telecaster b/c Kurt Cobain (my favorite guitarist!) had one. It's interesting because after reading heavier than heaven I found out that alot of the demo's which appear on wtlo were recorded on a telecaster.

I agree with your answer, but the reason behind your answer is complete and utter failsauce

:lol:

Me personally... Well I have a Les Paul (copy) already. I want a Tele though. There's something about Tele's that you can't get with other guitars. Just play both and see which you prefer, that's the only way you'd know.

if you already have a les paul then go for the tele, i got the squier classic vibe 50's tele and i'd kill somebody in a horrible torturous violating manner if they stole it

Tele's are great guitars though, you just can't go wrong and if your used to contours look for one with contours because i've heard people complain that teles aren't comfortable without them but it doesn't bother me

@herokurdt94: i didn't know those demos were recorded on his tele, do you know the color of his socks too? (I'm guessing fiesta red or sonic blue)

I've got both a Les Paul and a Tele and I'll be the odd guy out and say I'd pick a Les Paul any-day and every day over a Telecaster. I'm not saying that Tele's are bad I like them enough to own one but I don't think they come anywhere close to being as useful as Les Paul's have been for me. The tele has a good tone but it seems its a very I don't know flat tone, also it isnt as comfortable to play with. I've used Les Pauls for tons and tons of sounds and styles where as the Telecaster might be able to play a bunch of styles I don't think its good at them without modifications. But I feel the tone of the Les Paul is more rounded my whole has a better clean tone a heavier distorted tone more ringing sustain, the ability to change and get a variety of tones with the pickup selector and its more comfortable to play.

With all that said Telecaster's are still awesome guitars and I still play mine all the time but I don't think its nearly as good as a Les Paul.

I'm willing to offer up a biased opinion...

I will start by saying that I consider myself to be a 'Tele Guy'.

I love Teles because I find the tone from the bridge pickup to be totally perfect. It's what I think electric guitar SHOULD sound like. The signature sound also one of the few sounds I consider to be immediately identifiable (sp).

But Les Pauls are so versatile, they will do ANYTHING. What I don't like about most of the LP's I've played (admittedly not many, maybe 4 in total), is that I dont like the playability of them. I find them far too heavy, and I can't stand the heavy gloss and neck profiles. But the sounds that can be pulled from them are incredible.

Now, my unbiased advice...

Play them both, play as many different model and series as you can, and make the correct choice.

Try both guitars out.

In my hearing + experience:

- Tele =

Great clean guitar. (country, blues, funk, pop, classic rock, ska/reggae etc.)

- Les Paul =

Great rock AND clean guitar. (classic rock, grunge, hard rock, metal, blues, country, pop, and even for funk and ska/reggae etc.)

All in all it's just a matter of opinion what kinda sound YOU like. I have a Gibson Studio LP myself and it's a great guitar, heck it even became my favorite guitar since i got it about 2 weeks ago. The only thing that i dislike a little bit about it, is the fact that the bridge pickup (Gibson 498T) is not really suited for hard rock/metal etc. It suits classic rock more.

I'm planning on putting a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and keep the neck pickup original.

You can even put a push/pull knob on the LP so you split the humbuckers. (don't know if you can split the original pickups?) But it's something you can do. :wink:

To put it all together:

''I would NEVER trade/sell my Gibbie LP Studio for anything!!!!!!! If you want a affordable Les Paul, buy one of these Studio's secondhand. (i bought mine for 650,- euros, while they go for 1000,- euros new.) Normally you would get one without the case for that kind of money, but i brought it from a store with the case. Get a Fireburst if you care about the looks of it. When i was looking for a secondhand LP online i didn't really care about the finish, but then i saw a Fireburst one and was instantly sold.''

Another choise for a cheaper LP is the Gibson BFG model. They have a p90 in the neck, and a Burstbucker in the bridge i believe. The only thing that i dislike about those are the fact that they lack inlay on the fretboard. But from the things that i've heard/read, they are really great guitars.

Just my 2 cents........ :)

• 1 month later...

How did that happen?! :twisted:

What kind of Tele ? If it's a 72 Tele to a LEs PAul Studio I'd prolly go tele . If a standard tele to a Studio I might wanna go with the studio . P90s ? Studio . But if they're both free borrow them and see which one YOU like .

What kind of Tele ? If it's a 72 Tele to a LEs PAul Studio I'd prolly go tele . If a standard tele to a Studio I might wanna go with the studio . P90s ? Studio . But if they're both free borrow them and see which one YOU like .

You probably should read the last 4 or 5 posts.

I think the original deal is well and truly redundant...

• Like 1